• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lily Allen - is she any good?"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    SO - for a woman to be successful she has to be shag someone to get there?
    Hmm is it cold in your cave?

I think her voice is dreadful and the lyrics dire.

However I see why you are offended and shall alter my views accordingly:

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I think she's awful but she must be bribing someone at Radio 2 because she is permanently on their playlist.
    Probably with BJs, but how she gives a BJ with a paper bag over her head, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Excellent band, Magazine

The Correct Use of Soap was also a brilliant album
    Originally posted by Rantor View Post

Pretty good live band too

:
    I am proud owner of secondhand daylight, correct use of soap and the first album on both CD and vinyl - the secondhand daylight CD I came across recently in Borders.

Saw Magazine at Derby Ajanta cinema (it was the old Derby playhouse that became an Asian Cinema - now long since pulled down). They were supported by Bahaus.

I saw Joy Division at the same venue, and Ultravox, (pre Midge Ure.)

Saw Devoto playing solo at Derby Blue Note club a few years later too.

Happy days

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    She was at the studios in Bristol when I was working there, doing an interview with Sally and Kevin. Seemed OK (based on the fact that nothing untoward happened as she walked past my desk), but then again, they don't usually kick off when they're at a radio station for an interview.

Amy Winehouse was there not long after, and everybody commented on what a pleasant and charming person she was

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Like everyone on here listens to Stravinsky

More like a bunch of IT geeks that play air trumpet to a Phil Collins song on Radio 2.

She is young, plays decent music she writes herself and people like it.

Leave a comment:

• TriggerHippy
    replied
    Lily Allen ... if a loaf of bread could sing, it would sound like this .... completely vapid, meaningless crud.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Excellent band, Magazine

the Correct Use of Soap was also a brilliant album
    Pretty good live band too

Ms Allen on the other hand is a potty mouthed little madam. Her latest single is always on Studio Brussel and my 5 yr old likes singing along to it in the supermarket, thus rendering my 'no swearing while driving' mission totally pointless.
    Last edited by Rantor; 28 July 2009, 22:04.

Leave a comment:

• badgerpig
    replied
    shes a tw@ just like her dad!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Cool. I wait with baited breath.

For the record, I preferred the later stuff he did with Magazine. Secondhand Daylight - great album
    Excellent band, Magazine

The Correct Use of Soap was also a brilliant album

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I think she's awful but she must be giving sexual favours to someone at Radio 2 because she is permanently on their playlist.
    SO - for a woman to be sucessful she has to be shag someone to get there?
    Hmm is it cold in your cave?

BTW I neither like or dislike her - there are worse singers on the planet and there are better

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I think she's awful but she must be giving sexual favours to someone at Radio 2 because she is permanently on their playlist.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    That's where I first heard this track but this is the official video - NSFW due to swearing.

The Radio Edit seems somewhat pointless.
    Totally O/T, but does anyone recognize that hotel in Paris at the start of the video? It's odd, I've never stayed anywhere like that in Paris, but it looks familiar.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

For the record, I preferred the later stuff he did with Magazine. Secondhand Daylight - great album
    From Mr P :-

Shelley on official single release - Devoto on bootleg of Spiral Scratch recording sessions (28 December 1976), subsequently released officially on album 'Time's Up'

Incidentally Dec 28th in our house is known as Buzzmass day.

Yes Magazine - marvellous band, I feel a little 'Shot by both sides' is in order

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I believe that there are two versions- I have asked the Oracle of all things Buzzcockien* to confirm.

BTW its not the words you have to worry about!

* That would be MR P.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I've got it somewhere, perhaps I never paid much attention to the words. Wasn't that Howard Devoto?
    I believe that there are two versions- I have asked the Oracle of all things Buzzcockien* to confirm.

BTW its not the words you have to worry about!

* That would be MR P.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Wayne County and the Electric Chairs raised an eyebrow or two.

I am off to the Rebellion Punk festival in Blackpool in a couple of weeks. Yay.
    Jayne County

Leave a comment:

Working...
X