• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: South Oxfordshire

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "South Oxfordshire"

Collapse

• not_a_contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    ...Harwell, to be precise.

Anyone:

(a) worked here
    (b) live(d) here

I'm looking at premises for Menelaus and HISC is an obvious candidate.

Harwell is a wonderful place too work. However. there is no legitimate reason (out of anywhere in the country you might be based) you would like to settle there other than to harass your ex-wife, who you know works at Harwell.

This is a polite and informal request for you to please just leave her alone, and get on with your own life as she tries to get on with hers.

Leave a comment:

• chetty
    replied
    When I was in oxford there were many wonkers

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    WHS. Oxford was a great place to live.

To the OP, depends on what you want to do in the evening. Didcot is chav central, Abingdon is not far behind. Have a look at Wantage. There's also Henley. I lived there for a while. Lovely town, full of w@nkers though!!

Have you looked at the Oxford Science Park for your business, in particular the Magdalen Centre? They do virtual office and serviced office space there. I'd locate the business there and live in North Oxford.

I always find the folk who praise Oxford are the ones who leave the place quickly and never make any effort to live there again. Never worked that one out, unless they're talking about student life at Oxford Brookes

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Just avoid Cowley where Mr Mark lives.
    WHS. Oxford was a great place to live.

To the OP, depends on what you want to do in the evening. Didcot is chav central, Abingdon is not far behind. Have a look at Wantage. There's also Henley. I lived there for a while. Lovely town, full of w@nkers though!!

Have you looked at the Oxford Science Park for your business, in particular the Magdalen Centre? They do virtual office and serviced office space there. I'd locate the business there and live in North Oxford.

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    You're a small team who have experience in the design and manufacture of models in risk assessment but - more important than this - insatiable curiosity.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    A twonk.

HTH
    Much as you two are always having digs at one another, I'm sure you'd miss each other if one of you stopped posting.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Not really. What's SAS?
    A twonk.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Yes all types C++. No problem.

Not really. What's SAS?
    Pah! http://www.menelaus-consulting.com/Tools.html

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    How's your SAS / Synapse?
    Yes all types C++. No problem.

Not really. What's SAS?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I lived in Oxford city for 5 years, and never had any problems with crime or hassle when walking back from the pub or whatever. Just avoid Cowley where Mr Mark lives.

I can do all your C++ software too. Much cheapness, pleanty quickness.
    How's your SAS / Synapse?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I lived in Oxford city for 5 years, and never had any problems with crime or hassle when walking back from the pub or whatever. Just avoid Cowley where Mr Mark lives.

I can do all your C++ software too. Much cheapness, pleanty quickness.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    I worked for a client in Chinnor (just on the border with Bucks) who had serviced offices from these people:

http://www.sanderum.com/

Really nice location - 30 mins from High Wycombe, about 45 from Oxford. They also have offices in Thame I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    There are loads of picturesque villages in Oxfordshire. You'll need to look around to see what's available. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by buying in the city of Oxford. It's horribly congested (and so polluted), shabby and overrun by tourists and language students. Add in a lot of petty crime by disadvantaged locals (it's hard to come across anyone who hasn't had a car or bicycle stolen here) and it's not really the image you get from Morse, although there are some lively pubs. Only thing you have to be careful about with regards to the village option is that one or two are susceptible to flooding, so do your research.
    Alternatively you could look across the border in Berkshire. Apparently property prices never go down there, so its a good investment!
    I wouldn't dare buy in Oxford - lovely as it is there's bugger-all chance of me being able to afford to buy somewhere there large enough.

Some nice places in S Oxfordshire though, around Harwell, Goring etc - and Menelaus office is almost certainly going to be at RAL Harwell.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    There are loads of picturesque villages in Oxfordshire. You'll need to look around to see what's available. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by buying in the city of Oxford. It's horribly congested (and so polluted), shabby and overrun by tourists and language students. Add in a lot of petty crime by disadvantaged locals (it's hard to come across anyone who hasn't had a car or bicycle stolen here) and it's not really the image you get from Morse, although there are some lively pubs. Only thing you have to be careful about with regards to the village option is that one or two are susceptible to flooding, so do your research.
    Alternatively you could look across the border in Berkshire. Apparently property prices never go down there, so its a good investment!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    started a topic South Oxfordshire

South Oxfordshire

...Harwell, to be precise.

Anyone:

(a) worked here
    (b) live(d) here

I'm looking at premises for Menelaus and HISC is an obvious candidate.

Working...
X