• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permies can be beyond belief….."

Collapse

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Late meetings focus the mind. Everybody else wants to go home so they dont interrupt with stupid ideas and discussions. Meetings rarely over run when you start them at 5.
    I found this too back in my permie days. Quite amazing how a late meeting manages to drag on until exactly "home-time" and then suddenly everything gets concluded in a few minutes.

Just coincidence, of course

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    The radio and the sock thing, just the same, it's the only way.
    oh that.

what about the shouty bit down the ear hole, in an intimidating and non-inclusive manner? thats the best bit

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    How about you ask the no show guy to arrange the next meeting.
    Then you can all decide if you want to turn up or not.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    did what ?

The radio and the sock thing, just the same, it's the only way.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Absolutely.

Wilmslow overlooks the fact that meeetings tend to overrun (especially with him running them I imagine), and by 1pm the pies and chips tend to underrun, and they often stop serving at 1:30pm.

Also, getting to the canteen at 12pm sharp means shorter queues and more tables.
    everyone thinks he is a t0sser.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Whether he's a contractor or a permie doesn't matter.

It's just not the done thing to schedule a meeting during the luncheon period.

If I was the boss and any of my staff pulled that sort of stunt, I'd have words.
    Absolutely.

Wilmslow overlooks the fact that meeetings tend to overrun (especially with him running them I imagine), and by 1pm the pies and chips tend to underrun, and they often stop serving at 1:30pm.

Also, getting to the canteen at 12pm sharp means shorter queues and more tables.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    After 16:00 is out. I like to get in early, and get the job done.

Generally them that likes to organise meetings after 16:00 are them that can't get up in the morning.

I like meetings at 08:00 or 09:00, as the attendees are doers, not talkers.
    I like late meetings. I start early and finish late to ramp up the hours and get the job done to take time off.
    Late meetings focus the mind. Everybody else wants to go home so they dont interrupt with stupid ideas and discussions. Meetings rarely over run when you start them at 5.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I did that at my last gig too. and last week.
    did what ?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Possibly a bit over the top, but this is what I did at my last gig when faced with a similar problem.
    First off I marked a radio with my name then hid it in his drawer, reported it missing, then made an anonymous call to security. He got busted for theft.
    That tulipted him up for starters. Then I put two snooker balls in a sock and got behind him in the loo and smashed him on the side of the head.
    As he lay bleeding and writhing on the bog-floor, I screamed in his lug hole, 'who's the fkng permie daddy then'

that learned him

I did that at my last gig too. and last week.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    After 16:00 is out. I like to get in early, and get the job done.

Generally them that likes to organise meetings after 16:00 are them that can't get up in the morning.

I like meetings at 08:00 or 09:00, as the attendees are doers, not talkers.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Also best to avoid Mondays and Fridays as many people travel on those days

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    meeting times

10:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00

Any other time is off limits.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    12pm - 2pm is luncheon time, for clarification.

11am is for tea and cake, and 3pm is for afternoon tea and possible some cake, if any is left on the trolley.

9am is when people start, and get coffee, and open post and check email, so that's a poor time to choose for a meeting.

Essentially, your best slots are :

9.30am-10.30am

11.15-11.45 am

2.15-2.45 pm

3.15-3.45 pm (which gives 'em 15 mins to make a cuppa before coats and scarves for 4pm)

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    12 pm is lunch time?

Never in my world, with the exception of the US where folks start at 8am.

I do quite a lot of work with Europe. If 12-2 is "dead" time due to lunch, then that makes 11.00 am UK time until 2pm UK time as hours which are out of bounds for meetings

Perhaps the project committee should agree the hours when meetings can be scheduled i.e. when people are not expected to not be at lunch.

Permies

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Whether he's a contractor or a permie doesn't matter.

If I was the boss and any of my staff pulled that sort of stunt, I'd have words.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X