• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Russians and the Cybermen are at it again"

Collapse

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I've just noticed that in the last several posts by Cyberman, Moscow Mule replies with a derogatory insult.

I cannot see any justification for such provocative behaviour and it undermines any credibility or moral high ground that Moscow Mule may have had.

I'm sorry to air this in public, but it needs to be said.

This forum always has been, and always will be, a random assortment of left wing, right wing, ultra left, ultra right, moderate and other assorted members of the People's Front of Judea and their various Splinters.

Sure, it gets heated from time to time, because everyone thinks they are right, and that's just human nature.

However, the trend of singling out certain people (who are just as guilty as posting contentious views as the rest of us) is getting worrying.

It's tantamount to cyber-harassment (cyber-bullying is the term for non-adults) and I do believe there was a recent UK law case where

Godfrey v Demon

Admittedly that was a case of defamation, but the Liability of ISP's goes much further.

A host has to be careful even in moderating a rude message, because under the E-Commerce Regulations of 2002 : Regulation 17 , that can be seen as "Editing Rights" which can make them liable.

IANAL, but from what I've read and tried to understand, the law of the Internet is at best grey in some areas, and black and white in others.

All this means is that we, as CUK Punters, should really try our best to make this forum a pleasant place to visit, and avoid actions that cause the webadmins and the mods headaches and stress.

After all, we are guests in THEIR house, and should behave as much.

And before anyone asks, who put you up to this post, no one.

The mods/admins adopt a policy of low-key intervention.

I just noticed that things have been getting out of hand of late (I suspect the rutting season) and thought, why wait for the mods to take action, when we can try to restrain ourselves ?

There are sometimes posts I don't agree with, but I've never felt the need to cyberstalk the OP and harass them with immature name calling.

We all have different views, and just because someone posts 1,10, or 100 posts that you disagree with, doesn't justify in treating that person as persona non grata and starting a hate campaign against them.

For that way lies censorship and the removal of freedom of speech, and once you do that, you hand the people you despise the victory of self-righteous martydom on the basis that your oppression of their views gives them succour.

Failing that, never feed a troll.

Goodnight.
    Bollocks to that.

He's a twunt, pure and simple.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    Now up to 741 quotes!
    Which strangely now says

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,690 English pages

Although if you make it an exact quote it is merely 800 results.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Who did you vote for?
    Andyw, same bloke we always vote for

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Now up to 741 quotes!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I didn't vote for you as our leader!
    Who did you vote for?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Instant twat calling is acceptable on grounds of obvious racism etc.
    Indeed. As a well placed "**** off" was accepted in response to particulary gauche Nicky post. Too much twatting though, and impact is lost.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Sorry, dont mean to sound superior. That should have read "in my book".

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Cybertory dishes out the insults when it suits him so he'd have no grounds to moan. Whilst I wouldn't have posted what M M did, it was funny.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There is a world of difference between "you are a twat because I say you are" and "you are a twat because I have given ample evidence of my point and have raised a number of points for you to answer and you still insist you are right"

Far too many posters on this sight believe that personal abuse constitutes an argument.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    "robust discussion" and gratuitous abuse.
    There is a world of difference between "you are a twat because I say you are" and "you are a twat because I have given ample evidence of my point and have raised a number of points for you to answer and you still insist you are right"

Far too many posters on this sight believe that personal abuse constitutes an argument.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I might act stupidly, but I'm able to understand the difference between an unhygienic shop and all shops run by Indians...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Hi expat.

I hope I didn't advocate that I thought there was justifiable merit in the case, I was just mentioning it in the context of what has gone before.

I didn't consider the fact that both Cyber and Mule could be the sockpuppets of the same person.

That is a deeply worrying thought, and I would hope that if it were a single person, then the individual would seek urgent psychiatric help.
    I have to confess that I wrote that while attempting bravely not to think about it

And yes, of course you're right that there is a difference between what I think they call "robust discussion" and gratuitous abuse. Though it could be argued that in CT's case it is not gratuitous but well-earned. Oops, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Hi expat.

I hope I didn't advocate that I thought there was justifiable merit in the case, I was just mentioning it in the context of what has gone before.

I didn't consider the fact that both Cyber and Mule could be the sockpuppets of the same person.

That is a deeply worrying thought, and I would hope that if it were a single person, then the individual would seek urgent psychiatric help.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    BGG, the case of Godfrey vs Demon is infamous as one of restriction of freedom of expression on the internet. Godfrey's action and the court's upholding of it are widely condemned by those who believe in freedom of speech, not necessarily because we believe Demon was right but because we fear that the risk of such action may persuade providers to be over-cautious and nanny all criticism out of existence. I'm guessing that you will find little sympathy for it here, or anywhere freedom is valued.

BTW have you considered that Cyberman and Moscow Mule may be sockpuppets of the same personage, squabbling in order to gain credibility? In fact they might both be me

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Oh my, I just clicked that link about never happening under the Tories.

I think Cyber (or someone posting on his behalf) is trying to enter the popular zeitgeist.

I can see a T-Shirt opportunity coming....
    How about this? http://www.cybertory.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X