• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: interview help

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "interview help"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    The gaming industry doesn't have many buzzwords or acronyms compared to mainline development. MMO(RPG) is the big one for online games of course.
    If they are looking for someone to do non-games work, they likely don't have massive experience in this area so make it clear that you do. If you can't show examples of similar work you did, find similar things online and make sure you can see how you'd do something similar.

They may well be after cheap rather than enterprise solutions... MySQL, PHP, etc, games industry is not notorious for being rich or super-obsessed with testing.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    One possible retort would be 'That is a good question. Before I answer that - if you were a bar of chocolate - would you eat yourself ?'
    heh heh.
    are we still friends then ?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    That works well until they counter with
    'if your Holy Vorpal Avenger, L25 Paladin were a chocolate bar, what type of chocolate bar would he be ?'

One possible retort would be 'That is a good question. Before I answer that - if you were a bar of chocolate - would you eat yourself ?'

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I'd bring along a copy of my L25 Paladin's D&D Character sheet, point to the Holy Vorpal Avenger, and say, "It doesn't get much better than that".
    That works well until they counter with
    'if your Holy Vorpal Avenger, L25 Paladin were a chocolate bar, what type of chocolate bar would he be ?'

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I'd bring along a copy of my L25 Paladin's D&D Character sheet, point to the Holy Vorpal Avenger, and say, "It doesn't get much better than that".

Leave a comment:

• brasi12345
    replied
    info

its not specifically a gaming gig,
    It developing the web page aspects of the online world, leader boards, login, blogs etc.. social networking kinda of role.
    Using mostly the .net skill set
    So i do not really need the gaming knowledge as i have played those all my life.
    I guess social networking knowledge would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I thought it was a difficult area to get into, they expect you to bring along something you developed or already have a game up and running on-line.

So good luck.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    I wish you the best of luck but in the current climate you would need to be an excellent blagger to compete with those that already have experience.

Assuming you already have the agencies version of what the client is asking for, do your research in all required skills and technologies.

It would help if you said what skills/technologies they are asking for?, however, if it's obvious what role and where it's based from that then I understand why you wouldnt divulge that info.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Dress like you've just got out of bed and call everyone Dude?

Seriously - good luck

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by brasi12345 View Post
    I have an interview for a gaming company tomorrow.
    Even though i have played games all my life I have never developed anything like this, role is for the online aspect of it
    Does anyone have any experience of gaming roles, any buzz words that might go down well, things to say that makes it look like i know what i am talking about.
    Yeah, got a mate who works in gaming.

Something like - I'll happily work for a pittance and I even know a girl (Your sister) who'll give you a cyber blowie if you gimme the job ...

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    I had an opportunity to look at a couple of the larger online outfits recently. Its a pretty specialized sector and you either know it or you dont from what I saw.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• brasi12345
    started a topic interview help

interview help

I have an interview for a gaming company tomorrow.
    Even though i have played games all my life I have never developed anything like this, role is for the online aspect of it
    Does anyone have any experience of gaming roles, any buzz words that might go down well, things to say that makes it look like i know what i am talking about.

Working...
X