• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: London

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I can recommend going around the Tower of London. However, I can't recommend going into it, unless you are desperate etc.
    I can recommend taking a picture of it as you go past on the boat but I won't recommend going anywhere nearer than that.

Better?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I can't really recommend going around the Tower of London though unless you are desperate to see the Crown Jewels.
    I can recommend going around the Tower of London. However, I can't recommend going into it, unless you are desperate etc.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    You could go from the London Eye to Greenwich by boat "Thames Clipper" Buy a day ticket and travel the whole route, Thames barrier etc.

PS public transport you can drink on
    I am inclined to agree.

After going around the London Eye (which you should do) walk down to Waterloo Millenium Pier and take one of the Thames Clipper services along the Thames out past the South Bank, ITV's London Studios, the City of London, St Pauls, under Tower Bridge, past Canary Wharf as far as the Millenium Dome, then back again (the boats go around in a big loop).

http://www.thamesclippers.com/ (SFW)

Make sure you are one of their larger boats (Hurricane, Monsoon, Cyclone, Tornado, Typhoon, Meteor or Aurora Clippers) - these are more spacious and have a bar on board. The larger boats are used for the most part on the Westminster to Greenwich service but occasionally one of the smaller boats will be sent along.

This is a civilised way to travel along the Thames and is how I commuted to work in the City from Canary Wharf during my last nine months when the overcrowding on the DLR due to upgrade work got too much for me.

If you have a day ticket then you can get out at London Bridge and go to the London Dungeon or Borough Market if you want, or you can get out at Tower Bridge and go around the Tower of London.

I can't really recommend going around the Tower of London though but I suppose it is a typical touristy thing to do.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 14 July 2009, 01:21. Reason: I shouldn't be so harsh on the Tower of London.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    But look on the bright side; it's probably a couple of days away if you walk.

Some people would consider chopping a leg or two off, just to prolong the anticipation, like.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Swindon is only an hour away by train.

Something to consider.
    But look on the bright side; it's probably a couple of days away if you walk.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Not to mention some great pubs & a few minor celebs (Used to live there)
    Yum...... Curry!

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    How about this.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Best curry ni London - http://www.tayyabs.co.uk/

Won the best Indian restaurant at the London Restaurant Awards 2008 (Amongst others), I recommend it very highly. Some asian mates took me there 1st time, been back loads - always busy, always a queue any day of week, book ahead.

It's muslim so you can't buy beer, but you can take some in - tescos round the corner - and it's unbelievably cheap for the quality you get!!!

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    WHS.

Some great shots looking out from Primrose Hill too.
    Not to mention some great pubs & a few minor celebs (Used to live there)

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    A little shakey here, working from memory.

If you are going to the science museum then I would recommend eating at the cafe/restaurant attached to the Goethe institute on Exhibition Street.

** Sorry if this is absolute bollux, but we had a great meal and I think it was there. Cheap and a more than adequate wine list.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Might be heading Greenwich way for a couple of beers anyway...
    You could go from the London Eye to Greenwich by boat "Thames Clipper" Buy a day ticket and travel the whole route, Thames barrier etc.

PS public transport you can drink on

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    If you want to get some t'riffic panoramic shots of London, I'd recommend Shooters Hill on a clear day TQ445762 (NW corner of Oxleas Wood), looking WNW will give you a very, very good panorama.
    WHS.

Some great shots looking out from Primrose Hill too.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Sorted that out for you.
    Thank you, dunno if there's such a thing as a multi language phrasebook

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    If you want to get some t'riffic panoramic shots of London, I'd recommend Shooters Hill on a clear day TQ445762 (NW corner of Oxleas Wood), looking WNW will give you a very, very good panorama.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Take 160 different phrase books, nobody speaks english.
    Sorted that out for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X