• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Council Flats and Stat A Lites"

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    Moscow Mule is such a great bloke.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    You'd like it to be, but unfortunately it is kosher. The country is Fcuuuked !!
    Twat.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    No, it is bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I think I can explain this. Like most of your posts, it is utter bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    A few weeks ago I read of a boy that had just left school and was getting 90 quid a week in benefits while living with his parents. He was interviewed and said that he had no wish to work at the moment as he was having too much fun with his mates.

Even JSA only pays 64 quid a week, so how in heaven's name he gets 90 quid beggars belief when he has paid no tax whatsoever in his life.

My opinion is that the whole benefits system is absolute garbage. No wonder HMG are losing us a billion pounds every two days.

I think I can explain this. Like most of your posts, it is utter bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    A few weeks ago I read of a boy that had just left school and was getting 90 quid a week in benefits while living with his parents. He was interviewed and said that he had no wish to work at the moment as he was having too much fun with his mates.

Even JSA only pays 64 quid a week, so how in heaven's name he gets 90 quid beggars belief when he has paid no tax whatsoever in his life.

My opinion is that the whole benefits system is absolute garbage. No wonder HMG are losing us a billion pounds every two days.

Was it in the Daily Wail?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    I don't know the area you are talking about, but if it's typical of most places in the country, most of those flats will be in private ownership right now, thanks to the wonderful Tory Right-to-buy scheme which meant the council housing stock was sold off for bargain prices and local authorities were banned from reinvesting the cash made into new stock.

Many people in these cheaper, ex-council stock are really 'menial' - you know, like nurses, teachers, firemen... people who contribute far more to society/the human race than you or I. Why should they then not have Sky TV - is that the privledge of the middle classes? (incidently, you aren't one of these - if you work for a living, if you aren't independently wealthy, you are working class, although most try to deny it).

Because I want to work for a living and don't want to live in a council house. I have pride.
    You can be proud of your home, no matter where it is. My sister's council house is nicer than your home, I guarantee it. She keeps it spotless, well decorated, and manages this despite four years on a student wage, as a single mother (yes! one of those) who will, tomorrow, graduate as a midwife. She has every right to be proud right now - and you have no reason whatsoever to look down on people you don't even know, and imagine the worst, because of what they live in and what you perceive as there 'station' in life.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What's that got to do with anything? What's wrong with finding unemployed people something to do in order to get their benefits?
    It is not that simple though is it.
    If there is a legitimate job there then advertise it properly. If it is a proper job then pay the going rate for it.
    Neither you nor I have the right to tell someone that they have to do a menial task to get benefits, particularly those who have paid large amounts when employed.
    There are so many reasons why your idea would not work. I dont have the time to explain why.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What's that got to do with anything? What's wrong with finding unemployed people something to do in order to get their benefits?
    If you're going to find them something to do for their benefits then pay them a real wage and call it a job!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you think it is such a free ride why dont you try it?

Being long term unemployed is soul destroying.

Not every slum is a council house. Not every council house is a slum. Not everyone in a council house is on benefits.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    So you went pass a council estate, saw a load of satellites and assumed everyone living there was on JSA, working illegally and had the life of riley watching sky, listening to ipods and buffing their new trainers ...

And SA is on a high horse ...
    did I say everyone? No. Read the original post again and get your facts right before you have a go.

Leave a comment:

• TriggerHippy
    replied
    Known as the ‘benefits capital of Britain’, Falinge, Rochdale is home to 1,141 people of working age – and only 651 of them hold down jobs. The rest of its inhabitants are supported by state benefits, with the majority of them ‘on the sick’, claiming incapacity benefits. Conditions that qualify for incapacity payments include alcoholism, stress and obesity.
    There are 2.6 million people in the UK claiming incapacity benefits for being too ill to work or seek employment; this accounts for 4.6% of the population. However 42.9% of Falinge residents rely on sick benefits - making Falinge the sickest place in Britain.

Cost to the UK taxpayer each week = £41,405

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
    You obviously don't understand what I'm talking about.
    £40 p/m is not pittance if you claim JSA and you are not working legit.
    You know what people I'm talking about.
    People who claim JSA and work for cash, etc. etc.
    I'm not deciding what people spend their pittance on. It's a point of view that I have. I don't think 000s of chavs are cancelling they're sky subscriptions now because I posted this.
    Get off your high horse.
    So you went pass a council estate, saw a load of satellites and assumed everyone living there was on JSA, working illegally and had the life of riley watching sky, listening to ipods and buffing their new trainers ...

And SA is on a high horse ...

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I'm afraid that I've never been long-term unemployed, although for a time in my late 20s was not working due to being ill. I can absolutely understand the reason why it is that people consider long-term unemployment to be soul destroying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X