• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""What's your motivation?""

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    an interesting point

and it does highlight the way that contractors are viewed by pimps and clients alike - they still do not get the fact you are a business and not an employee.

I mean if they were engaging a supplier for a new phone system would they be asking them similar questions????

dickeds!

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    To me this sounds like the agent has 'already' sent his maximum quota of applications for this role and has only noticed you after he has done this.

He was probably just ringing you up to see if you had already been submitted for the role via a different agency and then thrown you a curve ball to discourage you from actually applying for it.
    Yeah, that would explain it but, surely, only if he named the company...not clear from the OP.
    Last edited by EddieNambulous; 13 July 2009, 12:03. Reason: Because it's Monday

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    To me this sounds like the agent has 'already' sent his maximum quota of applications for this role and has only noticed you after he has done this.

He was probably just ringing you up to see if you had already been submitted for the role via a different agency and then thrown you a curve ball to discourage you from actually applying for it.

believe me, I know these guys and they 'ways' quite well.
    yep - sounds about right to me

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied

believe me, I know these guys and they 'ways' quite well.

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    At a guess

Agent has already forwarded allocated number of CVs. Your CV has turned up and you look ideal for the role. Wants to put you off.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Track records and experience are not gained by jumping ship at every opportunity.
    Which is what the OP should have said, pointing out his CV demonstrates his professional commitment.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    and what makes this muppet believe that the others on his list will be any more commited?
    Somebody on a higher rate is unlikely to find a better paying gig.
    Track records and experience are not gained by jumping ship at every opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    What he really said

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Agent: "You are the most experienced applicant I've had and you're the only one with the specific product knowledge. That's why I think the client would worry you might leave. How do I convince them it's worthwhile interviewing you?"
    The agent possibly meant,

This gig is in the bag for you but my client has some delusions about what motivates contractors so what I need YOU to do is lie to me about how much you want this gig for personal reasons, how much the location suits your lifestyle, or if you can pick somthing out of the spec which you can use to convince my skitty client that you will stay for the duration of the contract.

I dont know you, so I am certainly not going to stick my neck out and lie to the client to get you the gig, when I have 5 other candidates who will adjust their marketing strategy to suit the the role, and will work at a lower rate than you will.

But, fair play to you, I am throwing you a bone, but if you dont want it, then sod off and stop wasting my time.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Or was it Another Dodgy Agent getting his own back?
    You might have hit a raw nerve with the sexuality implication. I copped a bit of abuse for no apparent reason too.

All I can say is, keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The pimp may have been lonely and bored so just wanted a chat.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Blimey - some pimps are getting a bit high & mighty.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Or it was a lucky escape. The pimp sounds like an arse. What kind of state are the systems in that the client is so twitchy. If a 6 week notice period is not acceptable, and yet the client is worried about people leaving it sounds to me like the systems are in a mess and people have walked taking vital systems knowledge.
    Aye, that is what crossed my mind too.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
    I agree. You messed up there.
    Or it was a lucky escape. The pimp sounds like an arse. What kind of state are the systems in that the client is so twitchy. If a 6 week notice period is not acceptable, and yet the client is worried about people leaving it sounds to me like the systems are in a mess and people have walked taking vital systems knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    in my (currently suspended) capacity as a hiring manager who doesn't lie to himself about what people's motivation is for working, i would be hacked off with this agent for blocking a viable candidate.

people in the recruitment chain really do need to get real

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Obviously the client is worried the contractor will bugger off mid-contract. The agent told you this, and they just want to keep their client happy, with possibly some mixed delusions of being an outsourced HR function.

All you had to do was spin them a line. The agent gave you chance after chance to tell them what they wanted you to hear, just one cheesy line about enjoying XYZ and seeing the finished product would have done it, and yet you stuck to your script.

I agree. You messed up there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X