• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thermodynamics - cooking question"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    drag the animal past a luke warm radiator and serve.. job done.. yum
    Knock the horns off and wipe its arse first though eh?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    thanks all.
    the missus is right then, I have been cooking it wrong for years

I will get some this week and try it the Mrs BP way

What? Dressed in stockings and high-heels?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    I have no advice, since steak should still be red.

Two minutes each side, leave in a warm place for five.
    Originally posted by chef View Post

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Boil it for half an hour. Then it'll be cooked all through, and nice and chewy.
    A correct answer to the question!

Not an opinion on how it should be done...

EO Listen to OwlHoot...... but don't ever expect an invitation to a meal from a civilized person!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    30 seconds.

Steak really does taste far better when rare.
    Yep as long as its room temperature or a little warmer, thats optimal for me. It doesnt even have to look cooked.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Grill it for 2 minutes ...
    30 seconds.

Steak really does taste far better when rare.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Grill it for 2 minutes on each site and no more. Any longer and you risk losing all of the red and bloody niceness in the middle. UK folk overcook their meat IMV.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    thanks all.
    the missus is right then, I have been cooking it wrong for years

I will get some this week and try it the Mrs BP way

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    (please note, I am not talking about cooking it nice - just to get rid of the red bits)
    You do know that the red bits just turn brown. They don't actually go away.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Like everyone else, I have my own style of cooking stuff. But I started to wonder recently if I was doing it right.

question. I want to cook a bit of steak thoroughly (no red bits - medium all through)

is it best to cook it slowly for 20 minutes
    is it best to flash it on high for 5 minutes

(please note, I am not talking about cooking it nice - just to get rid of the red bits)

It's important to rest the meat after cooking. Fry for a few minutes on each side if you want it medium right through; don't salt the meat before cooking, but first fry it nice and hot to get the caramelized effect on each side, then salt very sparingly in the pan; after turning twice, put it on a warmed plate for a few minutes and let the meat rest; when you let it rest, the heat will be well distributed through the meat and the juices will be spread evenly instead of getting blood all over the plate.

If you really want to know more, get Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's meat book. A good guide to everything there is to know about good quality meat, from how it's raised to how to recognise it in the shop and how to cook it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    I find it is best to flash fry/barbeque both sides to seal it, and then cook slowly until it is cooked to taste.
    Even if it's a grumpy Scottish steak?

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    It all depends on the thickness of the steak. You need to obtain a conduction rate for steak and plug this into an equation which takes into consideration the water content steaming, and also the rate of convection through the meat. All very technical, its what real men discuss when standing around a BBQ staring into the flames. WOmen woudln't understand

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Eat it while it still goes moo.

It will taste bettr and you'll even save money on fuel.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Like everyone else, I have my own style of cooking stuff. But I started to wonder recently if I was doing it right.

question. I want to cook a bit of steak thoroughly (no red bits - medium all through)

is it best to cook it slowly for 20 minutes
    is it best to flash it on high for 5 minutes

Boil it for half an hour. Then it'll be cooked all through, and nice and chewy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X