• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Latest university application figures show 9.7% rise"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Me?

No.

I wasn't the bright lad... I got a B and a C... mostly due to complete lack of motivation.

I hated A levels... the Physics teacher was a borderline psycho who hated teaching & had been doing it since 1932... he retired the next year & dropped dead 6 months later.

Which is a sort of lesson, but I'm not quite sure of what.
    I was the brainy one in my family. I got 6 BSL's (Bootle Schools Leavers).
    I cant believe they made me do BSL's - and that I was proud

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    So whats changed then !!

sorry - couldn't resist XXX
    Nothing, hence the problem!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    In 1987 I got 4 As and an E (chemistry ... the one I needed an A in) at A-level in a bid to get into medical school but that was achieved through the application of zero social life for two years and becoming an introverted wee bugger.
    So whats changed then !!

sorry - couldn't resist XXX

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Even the so-called bright lad only got an A and 2 Bs...
    you got an A , back then ?

<bows down>

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    In 1987 I got 4 As and an E (chemistry ... the one I needed an A in) at A-level in a bid to get into medical school but that was achieved through the application of zero social life for two years and becoming an introverted wee bugger.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I don't think the solution lies in going in to an arts vs science slanging match.

Both sides are valuable. If you want plastic, ask a chemist whereas if you want an accurate history of the 20th centuary, ask a historian (an historian? - discuss). The problem seems to be that university is an expectation not a goal and so standards inevitably suffer as more people are let in.
    WSS+1.

I do believe that Ms Z may have hit the nail on the head

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Good grief, you really are an argumentative cretin aren't you? I saw it on Wayne's World. That is where I take it from.

If your life is really so pathetic that you have to nit-pick on where people pick up sayings from, then I truly feal sorry for you (and I have kindly put a spelling mistake in that sentence for you to salivate over. Enjoy)
    it was you who brought it up, not me. I merely point out that anyone who has a good grasp of English doesnt usually bother using .not.
    And you dont think we should have so many English graduates.
    Its you who is the opinionated one.
    now you dont have to, but if you want, you can fck off

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I don't think the solution lies in going in to an arts vs science slanging match.

Both sides are valuable. If you want plastic, ask a chemist whereas if you want an accurate history of the 20th centuary, ask a historian (an historian? - discuss). The problem seems to be that university is an expectation not a goal and so standards inevitably suffer as more people are let in.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by orac View Post
    Every Colin Hunt has got a degree these days:

Unless you are in a top ten university, doing a good subject forget it.

Better doing ACCA accountancy:

http://www.peterkeeling.com/html/acca_pass_rates.htm

Some pass rates are 28%, I have been through these exams. No continuous assessment rubbish, 3 hour exams every six months.

I did "A" level Chemistry in the 1980's, how many people got "A"'s then? Oxbridge has every right to demand extra entry exams.

I am now doing my MBA at Durham. I am fed up of IT contracting.
    Be warned...you may find that after completing your MBA there are aspects of IT that you know can be done better, and people may try to persuade you to do something about it. So you may not escape IT in the long run.

If/when that happens, I recommend sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating "la la la I'm not listening".

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    blooming heck. Anyone who thinks that the American use of .NOT to emphasise sarcasm began with Waynes World is a fully fledged retard and should have their physics degree rescinded and shoved up their @rse.

what a dick

Good grief, you really are an argumentative cretin aren't you? I saw it on Wayne's World. That is where I take it from.

If your life is really so pathetic that you have to nit-pick on where people pick up sayings from, then I truly feal sorry for you (and I have kindly put a spelling mistake in that sentence for you to salivate over. Enjoy)

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by orac View Post
    Every Colin Hunt has got a degree these days:

Unless you are in a top ten university, doing a good subject forget it.

Better doing ACCA accountancy:

http://www.peterkeeling.com/html/acca_pass_rates.htm

Some pass rates are 28%, I have been through these exams. No continuous assessment rubbish, 3 hour exams every six months.

I did "A" level Chemistry in the 1980's, how many people got "A"'s then? Oxbridge has every right to demand extra entry exams.

I am now doing my MBA at Durham. I am fed up of IT contracting.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Putting ".Not" at the end of a sentence is an epigram taken from the film "Wayne's World". If you haven't seen said film, it will be lost on you, sorry.
    blooming heck. Anyone who thinks that the American use of .NOT to emphasise sarcasm began with Waynes World is a fully fledged retard and should have their physics degree rescinded and shoved up their @rse.

what a dick

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    Univeristy of Bedford

Univeristy of Bedford says it all.

The business model is, jam as many overseas students in, they pay 10-20K year.

As we all know new liebour loves EMs. The rest are losers and, no hopers.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    They should work out how many people the country needs with a certain degree, work out how many graduates needed per year to keep that number stable then provide completely free eduacation for that number who would presumably be the ones with the best entrance marks. If you do not get in then you can pay full whack to the uni if they decide they want you.

If Tarquin wants to do Media Studies with his bum chums then they can all pay themselves.
    Sorry, but if you are going to post a sensible comment then you can bugger off and use another board.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    Teaching English to foreign types is one of our growth industries.
    Not at degree level it isn't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X