• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT - Too Complicated"

Collapse

• Cyberman
    replied
    Never mind. We are all safely supported by our expert Indian friends nowadays. Rejoice !!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Same here MnM. I know my one product inside out (well TBH even that knowledge has dwindled in recent years). I haven't learned much new in the past 5 years or so but even if I were to plan to learn something, I wouldn't know where to start or what to do.

Frankly I just don't care any more. I used to care a lot - honestly - but it's just not worth it really is it.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    You used to tell a computer what to do - DOS

You then told the OS what to do - Windows

Now you've got to tell .NET what to do. Simpler? Apparently not...

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    It 'aint how much you know - it's how you use what you know.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    When I first started Java there were about 300 classes, now some job specs ask for knowledge of about 300 APIs.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Constantinople is a very big word, but if you can't spell IT, you're a very big dope.

Or something like that. My memory of the school in the 70s isn't what it was.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
    I used to know what I was doing and talking about.
    Now I haven't got a clue.
    It's got more complicated. Thought things should get easier.
    Once upon a time I could write code and know exactly what it would do to every component involved. I understood complete systems, every bit of them from network to firmware. When something was going wrong, whether hardware or software, I could diagnose the exact fault single-handedly. I read the design spec for the CRAY-1 and understood it. I fixed corrupt discs by working how how the data was stored and writing low-level code to repair it.

Now I can't even network my home PCs to share directories securely.

When something crashes I bleat, reboot, and start again from the last save but with no idea of what happened nor how to prevent it.

It seems there are layers upon layers upon layers of interaction and complexity; I feel I could not live long enough to now be able to attain the depth of knowledge I had.

When I read NickFitz's postings of how "ABC does this differently from DEF because GHI was cocked up when JKL was specified so MNO does not work with PQR under STU circumstances unless VWX is set to YZ" I am aware he has lived and breathed his work non-stop for decades. Nobody should have to know so much to make a poxy web page render correctly. And anybody that does know so much should have two PhDs and a seat at two universities.

I meet experts in their field who have intimate knowledge ... of one product. Years of experience in, for example, using one testing tool or development language. If the supplier goes to the wall, they are of no value to the rest of the world.

And the really sad bit is that 98% of what I have had to learn became redundant within three years of learning it.

Yet the amount you need to know to be an all-rounder just grows and grows and grows.

Dammit, it wasn't this hard when everything was proprietary and every site had a different supplier's hardware and a different programming language.

You're not alone, MrNoMotivation.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 8 July 2009, 16:11.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Dont worry MnM, one day you will make it, they might even name something after you. Like a bag of sweets or something

SWEET

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Dont worry MnM, one day you will make it, they might even name something after you. Like a bag of sweets or something

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Quite right Zippy.

I think he is approaching his 'Nirvana' moment.

Stick with it MrNoMotivation. All will become clear.
    No need to shoot himself Shirley?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Keep it quiet but - nobody else does either. If you get close to understanding it some tit will invent a new vocabulary for the same old stuff.
    Quite right Zippy.

I think he is approaching his 'Nirvana' moment.

Stick with it MrNoMotivation. All will become clear.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by MrToast View Post
    Alzheimer's? Or can't you remember?
    Help is at hand: linky

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Keep it quiet but - nobody else does either. If you get close to understanding it some tit will invent a new vocabulary for the same old stuff.

Leave a comment:

• MrToast
    replied
    I.T. has

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Get Ben Clarke onto it? He's probably in New College.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X