• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "'Google should replace NHS IT system'"

Collapse

• Shimano105
    replied
    Google and MS have a system ready? Please.

Sounds like a consultant answer to me - 'we have a system up and ready to roll if you sign up with us'.

Then they piss off and try to get Bob and his buddies to frantically knock enough together to meet the first milestone.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When you say "Google should replace NHS", do you mean getting rid of all the GPs and getting teenagers to google "my balls are all red and itchy" instead?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    please write 20000 words on this.

and no copy - paste, ok.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by DSW View Post
    tbh I don't really understand why the NHS project is that difficult, anyone care to enlighten me?
    The very short answer has a number of parts. Each one of these is a programme killer.

1. It is politically motivated; therefore measuring benefits is futile so decision making is poor.

2. It is a programme intended to save money; therefore senior management do not know where to authorise expenditure.

3. It is too big; they are trying to joining together systems owned by bodies that exist at different positions in the hierarchy so the sheer number of stakeholders and their relative levels of authority prevents correct decision making.

4. The NHS believes it is 'a special case' and that good practice used by the rest of the project and programme management industry does not apply.

The very, very short answer is: it is too big.

I can do you 20,000 words on why it has been a failure since 2003 if you wish.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    gladiators?

i keep imagining my igoogle portal: news | mail | products | nhs
    I just signed up for google health to give it a try so I have 'health' on my menu!

Leave a comment:

• DSW
    replied
    gladiators?

i keep imagining my igoogle portal: news | mail | products | nhs

scare tactic scenario that I see is that since M$ and google (do no evil my ) if the US courts asked for information from them would they not fold like a pack of card? ok thats enough fud for now.

I assume all the NHS stuff would have to meet GSI standards though, so could they even merge into existing data centres that easily?

tbh I don't really understand why the NHS project is that difficult, anyone care to enlighten me?

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I ain't got a problem with either microsoft or google maintaining the system, for the amount of money involved I am sure they would allow a dedicated farm only to be used for the NHS with tighter security, well that is what I would negotiate for.

If they have a product ready while we are spending billions writing some crapfest that hardly works then let's go for the product.
    WHS - I think it's a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    DSW, do you like movies about gladiators?
    HAB, have you stopped drinking that bromide tea the court had prescribed for you?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    not wanting to be anti-tory as it doesn't seem to be the done thing around here... but isn't this the complete opposite of what David Cameron said a few days ago (give it to the small guys).
    You can be as anti-tory as you like. It's being pro-nuLieBore that will get you into trouble and end up with you getting

oh and I think giving Microsoft, or even google the NHS stuff would be an incredibly bad idea. afaik they dont even do that type of work.- ok Microsoft a bit, but still sounds crazy. Having said that, I doubt they could make it much worse...
    True.

So do the tories actually have an IT plan or are they just throwing random ideas about?
    No and Yes.

BTW.

DSW, do you like movies about gladiators?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    WHS+1.

The creation of a mahoosively expensive CfH NHSIT programme has been and threatens to be a white-elephant of, well, elephantine proportions.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I ain't got a problem with either microsoft or google maintaining the system, for the amount of money involved I am sure they would allow a dedicated farm only to be used for the NHS with tighter security, well that is what I would negotiate for.

If they have a product ready while we are spending billions writing some crapfest that hardly works then let's go for the product.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Yeah, right. Give yet another huge database of personal data to a Merkin corporation. Thanks.

FFS. They learn nothing, do they? Any of them.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I got the impression that google already have a product available. Same with microsoft.

Leave a comment:

• DSW
    started a topic 'Google should replace NHS IT system'

'Google should replace NHS IT system'

not wanting to be anti-tory as it doesn't seem to be the done thing around here... but isn't this the complete opposite of what David Cameron said a few days ago (give it to the small guys).

oh and I think giving Microsoft, or even google the NHS stuff would be an incredibly bad idea. afaik they dont even do that type of work.- ok Microsoft a bit, but still sounds crazy. Having said that, I doubt they could make it much worse...

So do the tories actually have an IT plan or are they just throwing random ideas about?

Working...
X