• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Ashes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Ashes"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    ... really not that fussed about post counts...
    yup.

take them away.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    cold minestrone is a soup best served to minestrone methinks.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    User NamePosts
    minestrone 57
    [/URL]
    Funny how minestrone hasn't posted in here since England won...

Oh, and feel free to move to LR if that's your beef - really not that fussed about post counts...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    User NamePosts
    And all in General.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    User NamePosts
    Moscow Mule 76
    minestrone 57
    voodooflux 48
    Jet Setter 39
    oracleslave 38
    cojak 32
    Mich the Tester 28
    FiveTimes 27
    Coalman 25
    BrilloPad 24
    shaunbhoy 24
    Alf W 24
    PM-Junkie 21
    The Lone Gunman 18
    DS23 16dozer 14
    Evil Hangover 12
    cailin maith 11
    Doggy Styles 10
    DiscoStu 9
    centurian 7
    Platypus 7
    TykeMerc 6
    MrToast 5
    snaw 5
    PRC1964 4
    stackpole 4
    chef 4
    Gonzo 3
    Zippy 3
    Troll 3
    RichardCranium 2
    Board Game Geek 2
    Cyberman 2
    bullseye 2
    sal626 2
    DaveB 2
    Scary 2
    weemster 1
    chetty 1
    Chutney Spoon 1
    Bunk 1
    sweetandsour 1
    Pondlife 1
    wurzel 1
    threaded 1
    bodnobal 1
    HairyArsedBloke 1
    d000hg 1
    Unicorn 1
    moorfield 1

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    thanks os. that is a lot of cricket. managing injuries is going to be absolutely key.
    It's less than the Aussies have played here, but that doesn't change your assertion.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    thanks os. that is a lot of cricket. managing injuries is going to be absolutely key.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied

i'm not convinced that south africa are that much superior. it will be a good test. ?
    Agreed. Schedule I found as follows:

Revised itinerary for England’s tour of South Africa:
    Nov 1: England squad arrives in SA
    Nov 6: President's XI - 50-over tour match, OUTsurance Oval, Bloemfontein
    Nov 8: President's XI - 50-over tour match, De Beers Diamond Oval, Kimberley
    Nov 10: South Africa A - 20-over tour match, OUTsurance Oval, Bloemfontein (d/n)
    Nov 13: 1st Standard Bank Pro20 International, Wanderers, Johannesburg (d/n)
    Nov 15: 2nd Standard Bank Pro20 International, SuperSport Park, Centurion
    Nov 17: South Africa A - 50-over tour match, Senwes Park, Potchefstroom (d/n)
    Nov 20: 1st MTN one-day international, Wanderers, Johannesburg (d/n)
    Nov 22: 2nd MTN one-day international, SuperSport Park, Centurion
    Nov 27: 3rd MTN one-day international, Sahara Park, Newlands, Cape Town (d/n)
    Nov 29: 4th MTN one-day international, Sahara Oval, St. George’s, Port Elizabeth
    Dec 4: 5th MTN one-day international, Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead, Durban
    Dec 9-10: SA Airways XI, tour match, Buffalo Park, East London
    Dec 11-12: SA Airways XI, tour match, Buffalo Park, East London
    Dec 16-20: 1st Castle Test, SuperSport Park, Centurion
    Dec 26-30: 2nd Castle Test, Sahara Stadium, Kingsmead, Durban
    Jan 3-7: 3rd Castle Test, Sahara Park, Newlands, Cape Town
    Jan 14-18: 4th Castle Test, Wanderers, Johannesburg
    Jan 19: England squad departs

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    it is a good question. there have been a few wins away from home in the last 10 years: new zealand, south africa and west indies spring to mind but i don’t think any of these teams were higher placed in the rankings than england at the time.

however the windies and saffers tours were both significant in that we had not won at those places for a very, very long time (40 years or so). i think the saffers tour 04/05 was the last time. most of 04 had seen south africa as the number 2 team and England way down the list but then we all remember what happened in 05 don’t we? i still don’t see why this can’t happen again. iirc the most recent tour of south africa was a draw. though that would require a bit more trawling of cricinfo an the site has too much flash for work perusal.

i'm not convinced that south africa are that much superior. it will be a good test. damn sky! anybody know the schedule?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    we beat the number 1 team at the weekend. don't see why we can't do it again.
    When did Eng last beat a decent test team away from home?

Leave a comment:

• Jet Setter
    replied
    Beating Australia ranked 1 in 2009 is very different to beating Australia ranked 1 in 2005. I think the Saffas have the bit of extra class in the bowling to clean up where the Aussies couldn't.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    we beat the number 1 team at the weekend. don't see why we can't do it again.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Love the fact that you assumed I meant 3-0 to SA
    Why wouldn't you? Top rated side vs 5th rated side

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    True that SA may maul them, but that's fairly irrelevant compared to the Ashes. I know that there are only two teams that can play in the Ashes series, but it's the only one that really counts (at least to an Englishman or an Aussie).
    Love the fact that you assumed I meant 3-0 to SA

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    True that SA may maul them, but that's fairly irrelevant compared to the Ashes. I know that there are only two teams that can play in the Ashes series, but it's the only one that really counts (at least to an Englishman or an Aussie).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X