• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much a year do you spend on training or self learning?"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I spend 29 quid a month on an 8 megabit ADSL connection. Access to an amazing amount of training for the price...

Oh, and having three standard application specifications that I use to develop applications, implementing each with new technologies as and when they emerge.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Nothing, my last course was back in 1986 Assembler Programming.
    Mine was 11 years earlier. Same real assembler. Don't do it any more but it's like riding a bike.

In 1999, height of the Y2K boom, I read an assembler joke on the net and actually laughed. And then thought, well, personally I'd have used a BCTR there.

I'll get my coat.....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    But not as badly as assembler programming a GPU to do none G stuff.

Which is the kind of wierd stuff I'm doing on and off for a client at the mo...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Z80 sucked arse.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The last proper assembler I used was CAP16 on a GA minicomputer.

Took years to figure out what a literal pool was.
    Aye ZG

Yes by the time you figured it out there was no more demand for Assembler Guys.

It can only be a matter of time before a post from Threaded or FLEETWOOD appears to join in my condemnation of this infuriating post mainframe Brave New World of IT.

Now how about SNA systems programming that was a real... Whoops there goes the phone ...

Hello AJ PRuffock, How can I help you ?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2005, 11:05.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Was that 8086 Assembler programming Alf?

My last course was PLC programming in 1994.

Total waste of time, never programmed a PLC since.

Did a couple of microprocessor training courses in 1979/1980.

The glories of the Z80... on some single board computer thingy you had to spend 20 minutes entering the monitor program into... not quite toggling in bootstraps but not far from it.

Spent k's on pcb software over the years which has never earned me a penny... no, that's not true, I actually earned £800 for some magazine articles on the back of it. Only another £3.2k to go then.

Shed loads of books I buy & never read...
    Yo ZG

It was IBM VM 370 assembler which I rarely used as I ended up using a new fangled thingy called REXX for most stuff ... after which I transcended coding and all asepcts of work and simply sat in a corner looking enigmatic.

Ermm , has anyone actually done a course in IT that was useful ??

PS At this point I have to indulge myself by saying I do miss the Manly World of VM systems programming and regret bitterly leaving this noble and gallant profession , I now work in the maddening world of this new fangled client server nonsense, do you know this job is so wretched, I am forced to speak to users on the telephone ,the terrible ignomony of it all.

Its all womens work really.

Excuse me while I pop off to do my nails ....
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2005, 10:59.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    My last training course was Uniface.

...those were the days, Uniface applications.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Unfortunately I spend a whopping zero on training each year and a couple of hundred on books. I would love to spend some money on certification (not because of the learning opportunity but because the clients expect them), but being on a pikey rate for the last 18 months means I can only afford baked beans for dinner

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Nothing, my last course was back in 1986 Assembler Programming.

Since 1986 Not a sausage.

Self taught me.

Electronic Busker Mate.

We dont need no education ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 November 2005, 09:21.

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Training

Would never go on a training course, preponderous waste of money. They used to be a treat when I was a permie, but even then I could learn more from a book.

In the last year I spent 1700 on a laptop and about 100 on books. Year before that I spent about 400 on a sealed copy of Visual Studio 2005 off ebay.

The best way to learn is to do. Sit there and do it. A wealth of information is available for free on the internet, why pay for it?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    about £200 on books, about £1000 on training PA, the rest I try to fit in whilst on the job.

10K training at least its tax deductable.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This year, ten grand (one of those 'buy your way in' closed shop products). And no, it hasn't been worth it
    What was it?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    thunder,

what was the ten k training that you did ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    nowt who needs training for changing backup tapes ?

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 2 November 2005, 09:20.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Usually under a grand a year. This year, ten grand (one of those 'buy your way in' closed shop products). And no, it hasn't been worth it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X