• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Murray and that 5 set thriller..."

Collapse

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    I enjoy watching a good bout of boxing, especially the classic fights.

beating the meat whilst watching

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Tennis looks fairly strenuous to me. Lots of short sprints, combined with putting your whole strength into hitting the ball (they were really hitting the crap out the ball yesterday's match).

Fun though.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Well done on being as witty and erudite as usual.....

You really ought to try and think just a little before you post..... that way if you disagree you could substantiate your bile with reason.....

Ooooooops silly me! None of the bandits know what reason is....

This from the chap who thinks "tennis is a little above golf" in the physical stakes

I don't think the silliness of your post required any elucidation whatsoever to anyone who has tried the two sports (if you can call golf a sport).

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Didn't watch it. I personally rank men's tennis right up there with darts, snooker and the Boat Race in the dullness stakes.
    I enjoy watching a good bout of boxing, especially the classic fights.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Didn't watch it. I personally rank men's tennis right up there with darts, snooker and the Boat Race in the dullness stakes.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well done on winning the "Cretinous Post of the Day" award.
    Well done on being as witty and erudite as usual.....

You really ought to try and think just a little before you post..... that way if you disagree you could substantiate your bile with reason.....

Ooooooops silly me! None of the bandits know what reason is....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
    Pressure.
    The other guy didn't seem to have that problem. And Murray is not new to playing at this level, he's been to the final of a Grand Slam and played Centre Court quite a few times. Players like Federer would tear him apart playing that low a 1st-serve percentage.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Tennis doesn't really come out that "well" - I think its a bit above Golf
    Well done on winning the "Cretinous Post of the Day" award.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    Kinda makes my hour and a half squash game seem like a light warm-up in comparison
    Good on him, well played and all that... dug deep and didn't give up on anything poor old Stan had to win points 3-4 times cos Murray just ran everything down.

Wouldn't want to decry professional sports men and all that gubbins BUT
    He/They didn't play for 4 hours they were on court for about 4 hours.....
    They sit down for a rest after the first game.....
    and then after every 6(?) games...
    Many of the points are - Serve..... thats it serve....
    Many more points are just a couple of shots....
    Fair enough they did have some "long" rallies - of about 20 shots (so thats 10 each)....

"They" produce stats every now and again for various sports - How far they run in a match, how many shots, etc etc...

Tennis doesn't really come out that "well" - I think its a bit above Golf

But he is doing his job without complaint!

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Was quite funny. I got home as the first set was finishing. I had a game of squash at 8, so I watched the start of the second set. Went and played squash for an hour and a half, absolutely shattered, got home and they were still playing.

Kinda makes my hour and a half squash game seem like a light warm-up in comparison

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    3-4 hours is a demand to be sure 3-4 hours play towards 11 O' Clock even more so, I can always manage a better session at the gym mid-day then in the evening.

Just hope he recovers before Wednesday...

Was nailing biting at times. Like Nadal he showed his opponent he'd never give up a game despite being 0-40, fantastic stuff.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah, Wawrinka said they know each other well and practice quite a lot.

I don't understand how you can train day in, day out and then suddenly just forget how to serve... Murray got like 10 aces the entire 5-set match, compared with about twice that in previous 3-set matches.
    Pressure.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah, Wawrinka said they know each other well and practice quite a lot.

I don't understand how you can train day in, day out and then suddenly just forget how to serve... Murray got like 10 aces the entire 5-set match, compared with about twice that in previous 3-set matches.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    True, didn't quite word that right, meant tire visibly as much as he seemed to. He seemed more knackered than Wawrinka, which I found odd given he's touted being one of the fittest guys on the tour now etc, after all the training he's been doing etc.

Great game, can't help thinking he made it way harder than it should have been with his 1st serve going to sh!t. He'll need to improve that if he's gonna win.
    I think I heard someone mention that Murray and Wawrinka train regularly with each other, at one point it was mentioned that what must be annoying Murray the most was that before he'd hit the ball, Wawrinka had already moved into position.

The real question now will be whether Murray can recover enough for Wednesday

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Great match. Hopefully I'll get to see some cracking quarter-finals tomorrow on centre court

Leave a comment:

Working...
X