• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "if you don't like your contract, then what?"

Collapse

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do? It's especially hard to move to another one somewhere else if there's a month notice on your side of the deal. Do you just stick it out for 6 months then move on after they refuse to pay you at least £100/day more on renewal?
    Start a big argument with a permie over email, include any heads of department on the cc line. You'll get a call from the agent within a couple of days and immediate termination. This works, trust me.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    well another recruiter told me about another contract that pays twice my rate and sounds more interesting plus better location

I forsee a lot of this sudden quitting of contracts as contractors who accepted low rates will - of course - jump at the prospect of being offered a rate which is more realistic for the market.

The upshot - dissatisfied client.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Do whatever is best interest for your company havign a happy director/employees is good for the company, but having happy satisfied clients is also in the company's best interest!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do? It's especially hard to move to another one somewhere else if there's a month notice on your side of the deal. Do you just stick it out for 6 months then move on after they refuse to pay you at least £100/day more on renewal?
    I had it happen to me once : I walked. Then I hid the job on my cv.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    When I start a new contract I stop looking at job boards and discussing anything with agents for at least the first two months, a month before Its up I start putting feelers out again.
    I don't want to see the perfect job at twice my current rate on my doorstep advertised - so I shut my eyes.
    I have signed a contract and I will stick to it, call me old fashioned, but that's how I am.
    What she said.

I despise contractors who dump a current contract commitment purely for a slightly prettier one. It's people who do that that have tarred all contractors with a "fly by night, unreliable" reputation which we all have to fight against.

I thought you religious types were supposed to uphold a moral code, surely sticking to your promises is a moral issue.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Wwgd?

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Harden the **** up...

I'm already loaded after 3+ years as a permitractor. Money less of a factor now, enjoyment of work and the people there means more. So, I can't be bothered working alongside or for tulipholes.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    ... hand in your notice ... someone to take your place ... Strangely, the super job you were told about will vanish.
    This is why I frequent CUK for advice. I get called cynical, devious, underhand, calculating and manipulating.

Then someone points out how much lower agents are.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do?
    Was your god's answer unsatisfactory so you had to come to CUK?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do?
    Harden the **** up...

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    When I start a new contract I stop looking at job boards and discussing anything with agents for at least the first two months, a month before Its up I start putting feelers out again.
    I don't want to see the perfect job at twice my current rate on my doorstep advertised - so I shut my eyes.
    I have signed a contract and I will stick to it, call me old fashioned, but that's how I am.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
    Only leave if it is a MUCH MUCH better contract than the one you are on. For instance if it is going to get you through the next year and the current contract is for a month.
    IMO, many clients would be quite happy for you to walk if that was the case even if they felt let down by you.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    well another recruiter told me about another contract that pays twice my rate and sounds more interesting plus better location, but due to month's notice on this dull contract then that would count against my application as they need someone NOW

could they, or perhaps more importantly would they chase after someone who just walks out on a contract after being there a month or two? as in many contracts it takes few weeks just to get started
    The "other" recruiter wants you to hand in your notice. He can then ring the firm "on spec" and surprisingly there will be a vacancy. He will offer to fill it at a lower rate and will find someone to take your place. Thus he is earning something from a place where he was earning nothing.
    Strangely, the super job you were told about will vanish.

I would always say honour your commiments, but if you are truely unhappy then you are probably not doing a good job so it might be better all round to walk.
    As others have said, talk to the client and negotiate rather than doing one.
    If you just cant stand it then you could always start a punch up or touch up the secretary.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    professional liar

You are considering going into breach of contract with all the pain that might entail just to earn the agent some commission?

Do. Not. Do. It.

Beware: the grass is always greener...
    WHS +1000000

Only leave if it is a MUCH MUCH better contract than the one you are on. For instance if it is going to get you through the next year and the current contract is for a month. Otherwise it probably best to count your blessings and keep your head down and pimp the CV with new skills and glowing references

Leave a comment:

• SlimRick
    replied
    Bring in the substitution clause and take on the new contract whilst taking a percentage of your subs rate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X