• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fiscal Nomad

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fiscal Nomad"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    You have to be out of the Euro Zone for at least 4 years before they consider you have gone away, then you must keep to the 180 day rule to keep away. UK changed their rules, it where you are at midnight that counts now. No more travelling days.

I think they are trying to tighten up the rules even more. 30 years ago my Dad did a stint for 18 months in the middle east - tax free earnings even though rest of family were in the UK.

Now in the Sunday Times I read about government plans to challenge tax exile status based on whether children are in school in the UK and where property is held, golf club memberships are held etc. Initially targetting the super rich it says in the article but know New Labour it won't stop there.

So that will doom the Abu Dhabi 12 month contract I have applied for - unlikely to be gone for 4 years and I'm not selling up to go out even if the family go out and the kids go to new schools.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    or spend 6 months in dubai and pay zero tax
    If you are working in Dubai ok (not easy to find a job these days) otherwise Dubai has a high cost of living and most apartments required 1 year rent in advance.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    That would probably be the lowest one.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I would probably choose the one with the lowest tax bill.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Dont tell him your name Pike

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    where do you pay the tax if you dont mind asking
    I would probably choose the one with the lowest tax bill.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    For next year, I haven't decided yet.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Dont tell him your name Pike

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    You have to be out of the Euro Zone for at least 4 years before they consider you have gone away, then you must keep to the 180 day rule to keep away. UK changed their rules, it where you are at midnight that counts now. No more travelling days.

2 months Egypt (working 1 month)
    3 months India (working 2 months)
    1 month Ireland
    6 months where ever I find work.
    or do a house swap in NZ see if I can find something over there to fill in.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you compare the UK with Switzerland comparing salaries and take home, there is a difference, but not a particularly big one, and tax rates don't come much lower than Siwtzerland. The truth is a huge amount seems to disappear in other deductions.

If you're going to leave the UK because of tax, then it is only worth leaving for somewhere you pay none at all.

For tax exiles the term frying pan and fire spring to mind, you'll just shift your disgruntlement from one tax grabbing government to the next.

In Switzerland most of the difference will be lost in the Supermarket paying an extortionate amount for basics.
    I think Switzerland would be a fab. place for super models, don't eat, smoke as much as you like

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If you compare the UK with Switzerland comparing salaries and take home, there is a difference, but not a particularly big one, and tax rates don't come much lower than Siwtzerland. The truth is a huge amount seems to disappear in other deductions.

If you're going to leave the UK because of tax, then it is only worth leaving for somewhere you pay none at all.

For tax exiles the term frying pan and fire spring to mind, you'll just shift your disgruntlement from one tax grabbing government to the next.

In Switzerland most of the difference will be lost in the Supermarket paying an extortionate amount for basics.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 December 2009, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Brown
    replied
    This government will act to prevent hard working families suffering due to falling tax receipts caused by tax havens. Tax havens have no place in a fair and equitable society, such as Britain under New Labour.

New Labour will punish those who do not pay large amounts of tax. No return to boom and bust. Etc, etc.

Gordo.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    FYI....

St Kitts & Nevis...

No tax on overseas income.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    And alreadypacked?

2 months Egypt (working 1 month)
    3 months India (working 2 months)
    1 month Ireland
    6 months where ever I find work.
    or do a house swap in NZ see if I can find something over there to fill in.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by McFly View Post
    Me too!

Make sure you leave the UK properly. The guy behind this site knows everything about it
    http://www.wealthprotectionreport.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X