• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you had your time again would you still work in IT?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Oh yes

I do problem solving, IT was one facet, I started fixing TVs, had a long career of changing jobs and sometimes direction. If IT goes I'll still fix problems just means working with people more - yeuch at least computers don't mess you about.

I personally love IT. I don't risk killing someone like a Doctor or have to herd them out of their house like a Baliff. Its inside work with no hard lifting can't beat it.

I am a bit jealous of my mate though, he is 'the man form Delmonte' flying round the world chosing soft fruit, but he did work very hard for that.

Not sure I'm going to encourage my kids to go into it as its difficult to get started in now.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I hate working IT with a passion, did a business studies degree of which 2 units were IT and I barely passed them . I had to do years placement during the degree and that ended up being in IT so ended up doing SQL etc, once graduated I went for every job that was not IT and didnt get anything, after 6 months I went for an IT job and got it the rest is history 10 years in IT I ended up contracting as I thought I might as well get the £ for it and now only do it for the money no other reason. It scares me that IT could be my career now, too late to move into another field I think, really need to start my own business doing something, but again it comes back to the money I'm just too much of a whore

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I wish I'd been a chippie or stuck with aerospace manufacturing, I've tried getting back into it but no-one will touch me as I've been out of the game too long.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I wouldn't, I'd do my upmost to get trained in something like pharmacy. I realise the uni course is meant to be difficult, but once you're working you're guaranteed regular work. I'd like to think I'd still be interested in IT matters, but as a career move it's been a disaster, even allowing for some good years. I'm sure I would have earnt more (or at least equalled) working regularly in a shop or McDs, instead of the ups and downs of IT. Or perhaps it just feels that way because I got used to spending more, and haven't been able to adjust to the last 7 years?

Signed A bitter Benchie
    Would have become an MP instead. By now I would have creamed so much out of expenses that I would be able to retire on my solid gold pension plus all that consultancy work.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Thankfully I avoided IT 1st time round and went for engineering instead....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    .. there is no future or money in it any more. 5 more years and it will be as dead as dead. ...
    Can't see that myself - If anything the required skills grow more diverse and extensive each year. Yes most tools make it easier to do more, but you still need experience and training to use them effectively. And we've hardly started on robots yet.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I very nearly became an investment banker at 25. Wish it had happened.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    To be honest... yes.

I love development, and quite often find myself doing pet projects at home for fun.

This is probably a sign that I'm in the right job!

The unpredictability of IT is a bit pants, but I think that if you're very good at what you do (and keep a good network of people around you), you'll still do well, even in harder times.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Yes.

You have to remember that IT makes up a massive cross section of jobs. It is like asking a van driver "would you still want to do a driving job for a living?", then you could ask a F1 driver "would you still want to do a driving job for a living?".

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Sounds a great idea, let me know if you want any products from Eastern Europe and I will send over some contacts.

PZZ
    thx. I may be in touch if an alleged contract doesn't show next week.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Craft stuff (especially from the ME - my other half has contacts), mainly well-made hand-made products. Some kitchenware (wooden utensils) and Oriental rug/carpets. You have to choose the right market to sell it on, but basically the difficult thing is sourcing the stuff. Luckily, as I say, my missus has some family contacts. It's still not certain, but if a contract doesn't show soon, we'll have to get the insurance started out and go full ahead with this (we've already done a couple of trial runs, so we know we can sell stuff - well if we don't we're in the gutter )
    Sounds a great idea, let me know if you want any products from Eastern Europe and I will send over some contacts.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Craft stuff (especially from the ME - my other half has contacts), mainly well-made hand-made products. Some kitchenware (wooden utensils) and Oriental rug/carpets. You have to choose the right market to sell it on, but basically the difficult thing is sourcing the stuff. Luckily, as I say, my missus has some family contacts. It's still not certain, but if a contract doesn't show soon, we'll have to get the insurance started out and go full ahead with this (we've already done a couple of trial runs, so we know we can sell stuff - well if we don't we're in the gutter )

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Well, me and the missus may well be running a market stall soon. Won't pay a fortune, but it'll be a lot better than waiting next to the telephone chewing fingers off.
    ...many a millionaire started on a market stall without 2 pennies to rub together. Ideal place to learn to sell just about anything.

What would you sell BTW??

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Become a merchant banker - does not matter how bad things get you have the comfort of knowing that the government of the day will have to bail you out.

Me, I would never enter the IT industry if I was starting my career now - there is no future or money in it any more. 5 more years and it will be as dead as dead.

Im thinking of getting more into the antiques business as I am rapidly becoming one myself!

PZZ
    Well, me and the missus may well be running a market stall soon. Won't pay a fortune, but it'll be a lot better than waiting next to the telephone chewing fingers off.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Become a merchant banker - does not matter how bad things get you have the comfort of knowing that the government of the day will have to bail you out.

Me, I would never enter the IT industry if I was starting my career now - there is no future or money in it any more. 5 more years and it will be as dead as dead.

Im thinking of getting more into the antiques business as I am rapidly becoming one myself!

PZZ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X