• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No more drinking in public"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    In one small town in Wales the whole town centre is marked "no alcohol" except for a tiny patch: the rugby club garden.

Anyway, many moons ago my heavy-drinking, non-smoking Scottish drinking buddy used to be an ardent pro-smoker. When asked why he used to say:

"When they've stopped you buggers smoking, it'll be the booze next. You'll see. It'll be the Calvinists all over again. While they're picking on you, I'm drinking in peace."

We didn't believe him.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Dont tell Paula Radcliffe.....
    She had a dump

HTH

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    No, off-licenses - that way they can catch more people.

Dan Travis was leaving an off-licence in Brighton at 7pm with two cans of Kronenberg in his hand when two community support officers asked him to stop (Rosemary Bennett writes).

“They asked me if I knew about alcohol restriction zones and I said I didn’t,” said Mr Travis, a tennis coach. “They said, ‘We have to stop people who we think are drinking, not just drunk’. I pointed out that the cans were not even open, and they said that didn’t matter because they thought I was going to drink them in a public place. They asked me to pour it down the drain.”
    Minority Report.

We think you are going to commit a crime. You're nicked!

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Just ban the public. They get in the way.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Bloody hell - you wont even be able to p1ss in public next!!!!
    Dont tell Paula Radcliffe.....

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Bloody hell - you wont even be able to p1ss in public next!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Good. Can we get eating in public banned too?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Dan Travis was leaving an off-licence in Brighton at 7pm with two cans of Kronenberg in his hand when two community support officers asked him to stop (Rosemary Bennett writes).

“They asked me if I knew about alcohol restriction zones and I said I didn’t,” said Mr Travis, a tennis coach. “They said, ‘We have to stop people who we think are drinking, not just drunk’. I pointed out that the cans were not even open, and they said that didn’t matter because they thought I was going to drink them in a public place. They asked me to pour it down the drain.”
    I would have asked them to accompany me to my house, where they can see me go inside with my beers. I'd even pull the curtains to one side so they could see me enjoy my refreshing beverage.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    They implemented these areas in my locale quite a while ago. They originaly intended to stop winos being a nuisance.
    The police took the opportunity to stop drinkers stepping outside the pub on a quiet summers evening and using the squares in the pedestrian precinct instead of being cooped up in a hot sweaty pub.
    They do not seem to have taken the same stance with smokers blocking the pavements with a drink in their hand though.
    They have also stopped chasing the winos who now congregate outside the city centre and abuse people using the canal tow path.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by wc2 View Post
    Any of them outside pubs?...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Actually surprised you have not got it already, been banned here for about 15 years. Mind you, we probably needed it I hear you all shout.

They like to 'crackdown' on posh folk having a picnic in the park sharing a 15 quid bottle of merlot while nutters are wandering the streets with bottles of fortified wine and a knife.

Leave a comment:

• wc2
    replied
    Any of them outside pubs?

New Lair's new anthem

Something inside..

The further you take my rights away
    The faster I will run

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Indeed, Labour in another "Poorly Drafted" & "Over-zealously implemented" law shocker.

That is what you get when you have a party of career politicians passing laws.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    No explanation or suspicion that the person could be a public nuisance is required.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    started a topic No more drinking in public

No more drinking in public

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6571617.ece

"More than 700 “controlled drinking zones” have been set up across England, giving police sweeping powers to confiscate beer and wine from anyone enjoying a quiet outdoor tipple.

Local authorities are introducing the zones at a rate of 100 a year, The Times has learnt. Some cover whole cities, a radical departure from what the law intended."

Now there's a surprise

Working...
X