• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Freesat.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freesat."

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    HD ready isn't 1080i. It's 720i. As you say everybody broadcasts 1080i, so anybody watching on an "HD ready" TV isn't getting full HD.
    True, but if you can tell the difference on a screen size below 40'' you've got better eyesight than me (and most I'd imagine).

I know Sky used to broadcast the sports channels in 720 (to keep the frame rates up???) but I think that's stopped now.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not really. Many people choose to buy 1080i rather than 1080p because it's only on blu-ray you can take advantage of it. Many claim normal TV is better on 1080i TVs, and nobody broadcasts full-HD transmissions (and probably won't anytime soon).
    HD ready isn't 1080i. It's 720i. As you say everybody broadcasts 1080i, so anybody watching on an "HD ready" TV isn't getting full HD.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    They are? I've never seen anyone claiming a standard FreeView box can display HD channels.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Or you could be sensible and keep your TV, turn off the built-in freeview and buy a new set-top box. Not perfect, but MUCH cheaper.
    The issue still remains that they are still selling these TVs on the grounds that you will be able to watch HD when it comes online. This is a blatant con.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    A good reason not to buy everything in one box.

Everybody will be upgrading their TVs anyway when the truth about "HD ready" starts to become public knowledge. .
    Not really. Many people choose to buy 1080i rather than 1080p because it's only on blu-ray you can take advantage of it. Many claim normal TV is better on 1080i TVs, and nobody broadcasts full-HD transmissions (and probably won't anytime soon).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Yes, but you'd need a "new" set top box.

If you wanted it in-built (as Freeview is built in to all TVs) Freeview HD, you'd need a new telly.
    Or you could be sensible and keep your TV, turn off the built-in freeview and buy a new set-top box. Not perfect, but MUCH cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Can anyone confirm a rumour I heard.
    When HD channels become available over freeview we will all need new HD tvs and freeview boxes as the HD chip set built in to current models will not be compatible with the HD broadcast protocol.

I will be pissed off if I have to change all my kit.
    A good reason not to buy everything in one box.

Everybody will be upgrading their TVs anyway when the truth about "HD ready" starts to become public knowledge. .

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Yes.

For the super "CD quality" DAB...

CD quality my arse... not to mention the slightly increased power consumption.
    I love my DAB. CD quality it is not, but it's well good enough for what I want.

Given that many people are listening to crap MP3's, I don't think many will worry about the difference.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Isn't that A Very Cunning Plan to get everyone to replace their brand new set top boxes and HD TVs after 6 months or so?
    While in Dixons, don't forget to pick up replacement radios / tuners / car-radios / etc. to replace all your analogue radios. They're all going in the bin fairly soon too.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Why would you need a new TV to watch Freeview HD? Wouldn't the new Freeview HD boxes have standard HDMI outputs?
    Yes, but you'd need a "new" set top box.

If you wanted it in-built (as Freeview is built in to all TVs) Freeview HD, you'd need a new telly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Why would you need a new TV to watch Freeview HD? Wouldn't the new Freeview HD boxes have standard HDMI outputs?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Isn't that A Very Cunning Plan to get everyone to replace their brand new set top boxes and HD TVs after 6 months or so?
    That is what I thought. Odd that they are not making this common knowledge. They are pushing the digital takeover and persuading people to get kitted up right now before the digital switch over. They are not telling people that they will have to do it all again if they want HD over freeview.
    I only learned this through a PS3 forum as I use playTV and wanted to know if I would be able to just tap into the new HD channels when they come available.

Something stinks here.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Can anyone confirm a rumour I heard.
    When HD channels become available over freeview we will all need new HD tvs and freeview boxes as the HD chip set built in to current models will not be compatible with the HD broadcast protocol.

I will be pissed off if I have to change all my kit.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I've got a Panasonic plasma with the built in tuner but use Sky+ for all my recording. Humax are the best Freesat boxes out there IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    AFAIK, the output from the Freesat boxes is @ 1080i.
    Depends which you get IIRC. My Humax one does, but cheaper non-HD ones don't.

If you want the HD channels, you have far fewer options and will spend more. Humax seems as good as any.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X