• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "63 inch plasma all in one purchase and installation ? its heavy (68Kg)"

Collapse

• swamp
    replied
    John Lewis have a heavy lifting team for deliveries like this. I know this because I have a very heavy and very big wooden bookcase from them that their people had to lift up to my fourth floor flat. Two 'normal' guys actually turned up and wouldn't do it, even though I offered to help! So I had to wait an extra week for their "heavy lifting team" to come and do the job. No extra charge either.

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    Put it on eBay - someone will pick it up from you - and pay you for it....

I've seen loads of "faulty" Plasmas on there, and they always seem to attract at least a couple of bids

Leave a comment:

• scorchio
    replied
    Insurance job...if they rumble you, just say you made a mistake and pay them back, seems to work for everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Under the WEEE regulations (Reg 26 I think) your supplier, in this case John Lewis is responsible for recovering and recycling your your electrical goods.

Remind them of that, especially if you are planning to buy a new TV off them.

HTH

P.S. Your eyesight must be fooked if you need a TV that big
    How big are the individual pixels on a large screen like this? At say 59 inches across and at 1920 resolution, that's over 1 mm per pixel. Does the TV have many more than 1920 pixels and do some kind of antialiasing? Or do you just have to sit a long way from the set?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    Under the WEEE regulations (Reg 26 I think) your supplier, in this case John Lewis is responsible for recovering and recycling your your electrical goods.

HTH

He didn't say he bought it from John Lewis, if he had it would still be under warranty.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied

HTH

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    wtf does anyone want a 63 inch tv?

So you can watch enormous pictures of absolute crap?

If you wait a while that 108" one will be available.

The fault is probably down to a driver chip... good luck on getting that fixed...
    The optimum viewing distance for a 63" screen is nearly 16 feet, any closer and it would be like watching the advertising hoardings on Piccadilly circus.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    John Lewis have a 5 year warranty on all TV's and they price match, why buy anywhere else?

If you live in London why not just leave it outside for 5 minutes? Some little scrote (with a mate) will have it away in no time.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    What Threaeded said.

But start with the shop.
    The 12 month warranty doesn matter, it is the sale of goods act.

Get a TV engineer to come round and write a report which states that it is a fault in manufacture and not caused by use. Then you write a letter stating it is not fit for purpose.
    They should then replace it or offer a sum to allow you to buy new. They may say that you will not get a full refund. You can argue. I didnt.

I had an 18 month old lap top with 3 rows of dead pixels. It was a bit of a dance, but currys eventualy gave me token worth about 75% of the original which was enough to buy me a better specced lappy.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    Its a SAMSUNG PS63P76FDX 63 INCH PLASMA TV, v. happy with it until now.

Well it didn't die exactly but basically it has a thin black horizontal line all of a sudden horizontally accross the screen, almost as if someone has got a black felt tip pen or a biro and draw the line accross the screen. What is strange about this black line is that it sometimes gets thicker by the width of another line or sometimes it gets thinner and faint. This line shows on all channels and all different screen input types and even the inbuilt anti burn in mode screen.

Note this is NOT burn in on the plasma I've delt with burn in before (with video games etc) and Samsungs are excellent for getting rid of that sort of thing.

I even bought the technicians manual over the web with a trouble shooting guide, I even entered the secret Samsung Service menu on the tv and played around with the settings and I cannnot get rid of the line.

I think that an entire row of pixels has basically died and the adjascent row is about to die, very annoying and apparently rare on plasmas.

I am wondering what caused this, i.e. component overheating, circuit burn out, outside noise, Wifi ?, Ethernet over power, Virgin media (I've noticed lines and distortion sometimes when I use this box but a reset on the V+ box sorts this out).

All in all very worrying and disturbing.
    Can you get a Samsung technican in to try to repair it? Or sell it?

It does not seem environmentally friendly to scrap it.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post
    My 63 inch plasma packed in, its heavy and it needs taking away could you recommend the following:

a) A company to take the old plasma TV away and disposed it legally. Its 68Kg or so and one person cannot carry it; instead it really requires four people or two Jeff Capes to carry it around. I am in central London in a 1st floor flat. Doing my research I see that John Lewis do a service for this but will their cover really have their workmen heave plasma TVs down the stairs of 1st floor London flats ??? you got any recommendations ?
    Have you tried calling a house removal company? When I last moved, our movers even lugged our hot tub to the van, disposed of a decrepit garage on the target site (with all its junky contents) and stored our stuff for 5 months before the house was ready to move in.

Leave a comment:

• uky kozak
    replied
    Just let it fall off the wall and claim on the insurance

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    I may just get a new tv.

I see that Samsung have a new range of TVs that actually have ethernet ports and can act as networked media players under DLNA which sounds good, I went on their website and downloaded the manual for the latest 63inch plasma and they provide you with their own Samsung software and from your PC you can play media files direct to the TV, this is not ideal though the software 'seems' to do all the MPEGS and AVI but there was no mention of say "flash" (.SWF / .FLV) files. Also the new generation of Samsung TVs boast internet connectivity via something called Yahoo's "internet@tv", where you seem to be able to access restricted internet content via an icons menu on the TV (it sounds like a gimick to me tbh), what was interesting about this feature though is that in the USA this feature was to have NetFlix incorporated which allows you to stream down any one of 100,000s of movie titles for a fee, unfortunately (I know this) the UK STRANGELY doesn't have NetFlix as a service (something tells me its being blocked due to UK Business interests of Blu Ray / DVD postal / shop rental outletsl).

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    The sales of goods act says a device should last a reasonable amount of time. Plasma TVs are sold on their longevity. The EU law gives you 2 years and the English law actually gives you longer at 6 years. Not many people know that.

Get them to repair it or refund, but be prepared for getting a lot of run around. Don't bother with the spotty oiks in the shops, go directly to the head office, start quoting the relevant Sales of Goods act and EU directives (Google them up).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Nothing wrong with plasma, in fact they are having a bit of a comeback with current generation technology. I did a bunch of research very recently, though only in the 40-50" range, maybe the rules are different at 60"+.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X