• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AF447 broke up mid-air"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    Perhaps the FSM was a little too drunk and forgot to support the plane with his noodly appendages.
    Great...we solved that one then.

Next?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Wow... you are such a Plonker. :smug
    Coming from you.....etc

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    Nice to read a balanced post for a change.
    I blame the Tories.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I was referring to the FlyingSpaghettiMonsterWithCheddar's post regarding helicopters being too ugly to fly.
    Perhaps the FSM was a little too drunk and forgot to support the plane with his noodly appendages.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Cybertory was holding forth with his "expertise" on the basis of what he read in the paper. Ask a few people on your list how often a story in the paper about which they have some knowledge bears any relation to reality. I can't argue with what you say about the pitot tubes, but all 737s were checked for faulty wiring post-Kegworth. Press at the time reported suspicions of a fault, but none was found. The facts are that we (including CyberDork) don't know the cause and are unlikely to until the DFDR is found.

Wow... you are such a Plonker. :smug

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Unless the bloke who wrote the original story had expert advice of course.
    Instead of just slagging him why dont you show us why you think he is wrong.
    Do you know the safe working speed of this aircraft?

It is a well publicised fact that the pitot tubes on these aircraft are being replaced due to being faulty. Just google it if you dont believe me.
    These are one of the indicators of air speed used by the control computer and the crew to control the plane.
    At the altitudes we are talking about the aircraft has a limited operational capability
    The aircraft is designed to fly. Not glide, not fall, fly.

He may be wrong, but he has proposed a theory. Telling him he is an arse is not disproving that theory.

I am not claiming to be an expert. Airbus is not one of my fields of expertise. I have been in the avionics industry for over ten years and some of the people on my email list who are discussing this do work in precisely this field. Jet engine control systems, cockpit information systems and flight controls.
    Cybertory was holding forth with his "expertise" on the basis of what he read in the paper. Ask a few people on your list how often a story in the paper about which they have some knowledge bears any relation to reality. I can't argue with what you say about the pitot tubes, but all 737s were checked for faulty wiring post-Kegworth. Press at the time reported suspicions of a fault, but none was found. The facts are that we (including CyberDork) don't know the cause and are unlikely to until the DFDR is found.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    So...logically....the fact that this plane apparently crashed....means.....it didn't have any wings? Isn't that a bit dangerous?
    I was referring to the FlyingSpaghettiMonsterWithCheddar's post regarding helicopters being too ugly to fly.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Instead of just slagging him why dont you show us why you think he is wrong?

It is a well publicised fact that the pitot tubes on these aircraft are being replaced due to being faulty. Just google it if you dont believe me.
    These are one of the indicators of air speed used by the control computer and the crew to control the plane.
    At the altitudes we are talking about the aircraft has a limited operational capability

He may be wrong, but he has proposed a theory. Telling him he is an arse is not disproving that theory.

I am not claiming to be an expert. Airbus is not one of my fields of expertise. I have been in the avionics industry for over ten years and some of the people on my email list who are discussing this do work in precisely this field. Jet engine control systems, cockpit information systems and flight controls.
    In answer to your question, that's the nature of the beast you are responding to.

As for the rest, WHS

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ah, a student of the "If it looks right, it'll fly right!" school of aeronautics, welcome to the forum!
    So...logically....the fact that this plane apparently crashed....means.....it didn't have any wings? Isn't that a bit dangerous?

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    Those magnificent men...

I thought that the aerofoil shape only contributed to an aircrafts lift (i.e. it's an efficient wing) but a non-aerofoil shaped wing (or an upside-down wing) still had lift due to the aforementioned angle of attack but was just inefficient.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Instead of just slagging him why dont you show us why you think he is wrong.

Nice to read a balanced post for a change.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    It cant for long, but the angle of attack gives a wing like lift effect.
    I believe you're right!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    If an aircraft wing creates lift to fly, then how can an aircraft fly upside down?
    It cant for long, but the angle of attack gives a wing like lift effect.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    If an aircraft wing creates lift to fly, then how can an aircraft fly upside down?

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    thats rich from a flying spaghetti monster
    gravity

bah

Leave a comment:

Working...
X