• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Would you do that?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Would you do that?"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Cyberman wrote : I think it's basically that so many computer geeks are inadequate and thus cannot stomach losing a discussion
    Could be.

After all, when you are battling with the inanimate all day long, you know that emotions are not part of the battle, so to speak.

Either you have fixed the computer / program, or you haven't. The computer in and of itself is unemotional.

Human interaction on the other hand is far from predictable and quite often frustrating.

That's what makes humans wonderful in one sense and yet perplexing in another.

Rightly or wrongly, more emphasis is placed upon the management of human relationships above that of understanding and manipulating the inanimate.

Salaries in many professions reflect this credo and society as a whole tends to look down upon those who work magic with the inanimate.

Yet both are valid and there is no need for artificial disparity.

I sometimes feel that the dismissiveness of the IT industry and the people who work within is borne out of a lack of understanding of how we work, and a fear that we are incapable of interaction with humans which makes us somehow "aloof" from others.

In turn, this is used to demean us as somehow less than worthy than other roles within an organisation.

Eg, the Sales Division earn the silly money yet the techies are expected to survive on a much reduced slice of the pie.

The Sales folks will say "without us, there would be no customers to buy the products" yet the opposite is also true, because techies are needed to design the products in the first place.

However, for whatever reason, the Sales folks get the lion's share of the rewards. If that isn't inequality, I don't know what is.

Still, musn't grumble eh ?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I don't know what it is Cyberman, but CUK just seems like one long bitch fight after another these days.

Many threads degenerate in to personal slanging matches, and some new threads start up with the explicit intention of restarting previous rivalries.

It's all getting a bit tedious and wearisome, I find.

I think the only way to resolve this is to have our very own "CUK Fight Club" somewhere in the Docklands, where repressed Unix geeks can get to greps with C# programmers and .Netters for the coverted prize of well 'ard geek of the year.

I think it's basically that so many computer geeks are inadequate and thus cannot stomach losing a discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I don't know what it is Cyberman, but CUK just seems like one long bitch fight after another these days.

Many threads degenerate in to personal slanging matches, and some new threads start up with the explicit intention of restarting previous rivalries.

It's all getting a bit tedious and wearisome, I find.

I think the only way to resolve this is to have our very own "CUK Fight Club" somewhere in the Docklands, where repressed Unix geeks can get to greps with C# programmers and .Netters for the coverted prize of well 'ard geek of the year.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If the alternative is £50 a week dole indefinitely or one month without pay and then several grand the following month I'd work for nothing. However I would be going for lots of job interviews.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Oh look, another nasty, vile thread in which people attack other people's opinions.

Seems par for the course these days on CUK.

It's not opinion though. It is fact that these people do not like because facts prove them wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Oh look, another nasty, vile thread in which people attack other people's opinions.

Seems par for the course these days on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    You've never displayed any evidence of having one of those.

No, it's just shows you're an idiot. Again. Repeatedly.
    Of course he's an idiot, that's why so many people have him on their ignore lists.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I've no wish to debate with some idiot whose first response is to call somebody a moron. It just confirms the sheer ignorance of that person who cannot accept other people's well-informed opinions. It shows a lack of self-esteem on your part.
    You've never displayed any evidence of having one of those.

No, it's just shows you're an idiot. Again. Repeatedly.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Here's your original post:

Read it again ...

It's like having a debate with a plum pudding.

Thing is CB, I've called many things here, but dumb isn't one of them. For you on the other hand it's a daily statement of fact, made by numerous people, backed up by documentary evidence.

You're monumentally retarded. You make Jade Goody look like Stephen Fry. In fact that's insulting to Jade. Even the people who share your political persuasion are ashamed of you.

Can't you get a hint - stick to drooling over plane crashes and winking off at the idea of someone losing their job/home and pls just fck off and stop bothering us.

I've no wish to debate with some idiot whose first response is to call somebody a moron. It just confirms the sheer ignorance of that person who cannot accept other people's well-informed opinions. It shows a lack of self-esteem on your part.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I only needed to add the detail because you are thick and resort to insults because your brain is deficient. Most people would be aware of these impending taxes from the last budget which were well reported with their disadvantages in the press. :smug
    Here's your original post:

I agree. I flew to Brazil in November with Iberia. I would have preferred to fly BA but they were much more expensive, and things will only get worse as our beloved HMG are adding approx 150 quid in taxes on long-haul and approx 40 quid on short-haul flights. This will encourage even more people to avoid British airlines. Labour have a lot to answer for !!
    Read it again ...

It's like having a debate with a plum pudding.

Thing is CB, I've called many things here, but dumb isn't one of them. For you on the other hand it's a daily statement of fact, made by numerous people, backed up by documentary evidence.

You're monumentally retarded. You make Jade Goody look like Stephen Fry. In fact that's insulting to Jade. Even the people who share your political persuasion are ashamed of you.

Can't you get a hint - stick to drooling over plane crashes and wanking off at the idea of someone losing their job/home and pls just fck off and stop bothering us.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by sal626 View Post
    I used to work for BA as a permie. They first offered the unpaid leave scheme after 9/11. I took 3 months unpaid leave then and bummed around far east for two months - which didn't cost much because they gave me a pair of free tickets. But i didn't have kids or a mortgage then. However, asking people to come to work and not get paid is taking the pi$$. BA dont pay that great anyway.

So did I between 1979 and 1982. I got bored with little work before privatisation as they were grossly overstaffed, but the money was not bad and of course cheap flights are a huge bonus. If you joined any of the social clubs as I did with chess ( went to Bangkok), tennis (went to Copenhagen) you were entitled to one free flight a year per club.

My neighbour is a BA engineer and I have not seen his car for about a month so I guess he may have taken the unpaid option and gone away with his family for a while. Good luck to him !!

Leave a comment:

• sal626
    replied
    I used to work for BA as a permie. They first offered the unpaid leave scheme after 9/11. I took 3 months unpaid leave then and bummed around far east for two months - which didn't cost much because they gave me a pair of free tickets. But i didn't have kids or a mortgage then. However, asking people to come to work and not get paid is taking the pi$$. BA dont pay that great anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Then say that in the original post, rather than writing yet another piece of garbage.

Christ you're dumb.

I only needed to add the detail because you are thick and resort to insults because your brain is deficient. Most people would be aware of these impending taxes from the last budget which were well reported with their disadvantages in the press. :smug

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    You're the moron, snaw.

People will avoid the 150 quid by flying short-haul to a European destination.. eg: Madrid, then long-haul eg: from Madrid to Brazil thus saving 150-40 = 110 quid !! Thus, lost business to BA as they will be 110 quid less competitive per long-haul flight. HMG simply have not thought this through, but that's not really a surprise is it !!
    Then say that in the original post, rather than writing yet another piece of garbage.

Christ you're dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Wanna clarify that?

You pay departure tax at the airport, irrespective of the airline you fly.

What a moron.

You're the moron, snaw.

People will avoid the 150 quid by flying short-haul to a European destination.. eg: Madrid, then long-haul eg: from Madrid to Brazil thus saving 150-40 = 110 quid !! Thus, lost business to BA as they will be 110 quid less competitive per long-haul flight. HMG simply have not thought this through, but that's not really a surprise is it !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X