• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will they ever get it?"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    ... because in those days that was normal procedure. Under Brown we are supposed to be more open.
    So it was "normal procedure" - like MPs "just following the rules" on expenses. If it's wrong (and it is) for the Iraq report to be secret, then it was wrong then (as I said at the time).

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Hmm so why was the Franks report into the Falklands (cited by Millipede as the model for this one) secret? Presumably for exactly the same reasons.
    ... because in those days that was normal procedure. Under Brown we are supposed to be more open.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    My point is that a report was never necessary. The UK population supported Thatcher by a massive majority and the report was only done for Labour's party political purposes who had an axe to grind over our best PM since Churchill.

I would also argue that a report over Iraq is not necessary because we all know that Blair lied. It will achieve nothing except cement Brown's job at least until August.
    I see you still haven't answered the actual question asked. Either it is too hard for you to understand or you are avoiding it - perhaps you should take up politics.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I see - and why was it that the Franks report had to be secret again?

My point is that a report was never necessary. The UK population supported Thatcher by a massive majority and the report was only done for Labour's party political purposes who had an axe to grind over our best PM since Churchill.

I would also argue that a report over Iraq is not necessary because we all know that Blair lied. It will achieve nothing except cement Brown's job at least until August.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    And the reason the Franks report was run in secret was ?
    That was how things were done back then. I hope we have moved on. There was no move to FOI and there was no public concern as to why we went to war. No need for public enquirey.
    This Government has run on a policy of openness and transparency (LMFAO).

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    We didn't go to the Falklands under a lie. We were attacked, our territory was taken by the Argies and they got the response that they deserved. We were at war, sunk the Belgrano, and Thatcher did well !!! I don't think that can be compared in any way with the circumstances over the Iraq invasion, but of course a twat like you no doubt thinks otherwise.
    And the reason the Franks report was run in secret was ?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    We didn't go to the Falklands under a lie. We were attacked, our territory was taken by the Argies and they got the response that they deserved. We were at war, sunk the Belgrano, and Thatcher did well !!! I don't think that can be compared in any way with the circumstances over the Iraq invasion, but of course a twat like you no doubt thinks otherwise.
    I see - and why was it that the Franks report had to be secret again?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Bush was the just the figurehead of the neo-con establishment. These guys believe there is only one way to run the world...their's.
    with the obvious Cheneyesque suffix of "go **** yourself" or the non-verbal suffix of shooting an old guy in the face.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    I always thought that it was about making money for Bush's chums and Bush's pathetic attempt a Colonialism...

...I suppose we ought to factor in the dumb-arsed governments that were gullible enough to go along with the plan, not sure what they expected to get out of it though....nothing it would seem.

Wonder how many of our lot will end up as non executive directors of arms companies after the get kicked out at the next election (AKA Referendum on the Labor years).

PZZ

Bush was the just the figurehead of the neo-con establishment. These guys believe there is only one way to run the world...their's.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    OK - what percentage of the UK population could find the Falkland Islands on a map before 1982? Also: the UK armed forces then were orders of magnitude bigger and thus able to consider expeditionary warfare, something that MoD couldn't consider now, no matter how much they might want to.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    What have donkeys got to do with it?
    "Lions led by donkeys"

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Oh dear.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Hmm so why was the Franks report into the Falklands (cited by Millipede as the model for this one) secret? Presumably for exactly the same reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    It's pure stupid politics. This was part of a deal that kept Broon in his job as PM and just shows how Labour do anything just for votes and power.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    No. Appalling.

What the hell is the point of the enquiry if the public can't see it?

It's pure stupid politics. This was part of a deal that kept Broon in his job as PM and just shows how Labour do anything just for votes and power.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X