• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in The Netherlands"

Collapse

• Advocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    I am missing contracting in Holland. It was the best experience so far. Maybe I was just lucky.

No mad american-style aggressive people at work, total democracy, overtime was for insane people only, top rates... what else do you want? well, nice food and weather would be nice but you haven't got these in UK either.

I am thinking of a contractor commute and Holland is one of the best location for transport and accomodation too.
    Agreed, I'm thinking about a return, must dig out my BSN (SOFI)!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Cheers all for the suggestions so far.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    General shout-out:

Apart from doing the usual jobswerve search and specifying 'Holland' or 'The Netherlands' in the location field, are there any particularly useful native job boards for contract searches?

TIA
    If you're wanting a job in the Netherlands, now is the time to start learning to read Dutch (isn't so hard really).

http://werk.nl & http://www.nationalevacaturebank.nl/

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    General shout-out:

Apart from doing the usual jobswerve search and specifying 'Holland' or 'The Netherlands' in the location field, are there any particularly useful native job boards for contract searches?

TIA
    Monsterboard.nl - sometimes good for finding adverts direct from the company. Otherwise, lots of agencies you'll have heard of like Michael Page, Huxley, etc operate here too.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Tried the same question in PCG fora?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I liked working in the Netherlands too.

Leave work on the number 10 tram, 20 min later on the beach, fab.

I was in Den Hague BTY.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    True but what's much better in Holland is the working environment. Swiss do enjoy to give lots of overtime for free and since in many cases the boss is german you'll get also an authoritarian rather than a dutch democratic environment. And to wake up at silly times to be the first in the office. Not to mention the boredom at work (luckily I work from home most of the time). Add also that contract rates dropped after the dot com boom and never went up.
    True, true. I have been first in the office at least once in every country I have worked in, except Switzerland. I used to wait till after 7 a.m. to get the tram to work, so as to miss the rush hour.

I went to Zürich from France. In France, the team went to lunch in the canteen together, usually about 14:45. In Switzerland, about 11:45.

I do think you're tight about the rates too: they realised that their taxes are low, so they depend on that to attract people; but if you are taxed in your home country as well, that's no benefit.

OTOH I have no problem working for Germans, I have to say.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Surely Switzerland would be good for you? Everything you describe in Holland, and more.
    True but what's much better in Holland is the working environment. Swiss do enjoy to give lots of overtime for free and since in many cases the boss is german you'll get also an authoritarian rather than a dutch democratic environment. And to wake up at silly times to be the first in the office. Not to mention the boredom at work (luckily I work from home most of the time). Add also that contract rates dropped after the dot com boom and never went up.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I am missing contracting in Holland. It was the best experience so far. Maybe I was just lucky.

No mad american-style aggressive people at work, total democracy, overtime was for insane people only, top rates... what else do you want? well, nice food and weather would be nice but you haven't got these in UK either.

I am thinking of a contractor commute and Holland is one of the best location for transport and accomodation too.
    Food's not a problem, you can eat as well as you want to. Same goes for the UK actually. Weather depends on what you want: personally if I don't see 4 real seasons, I call it crap weather. When I was in Africa I kept getting up and looking out the window, muttering, oh tulip, not blue sky and sunshine again!

Surely Switzerland would be good for you? Everything you describe in Holland, and more.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    General shout-out:

TIA

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Long time agobut think I remember expatica as being a good forum to ask that kind of question ...

Leave a comment:

• Le Rosbif
    replied
    You could apply there:

http://www.amsterdam.info/red-light-district/

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    My gut feeling is that a Thread on CUK is NOT the way.............

I have recently been thinking is "A Thread on CUK" actually the answer.... ever?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    started a topic Contracting in The Netherlands

Contracting in The Netherlands

General shout-out:

TIA

Working...
X