• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can anyone recommend decent free encryption utility?"

Collapse

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some freeware that will allow me to encrypt a folder (inc subfolders & files) into a self-decrypting exe file, so that all that would be needed to decrypt the file would be to type in the password. I would like it to be at least 128 bit encryption with a fairly up-to-date algorithm (not that I know anything much about encryption technology!). Can anyone recommend such a program (must work with Win XP & ideally with Vista also)? I searched on the web but there seems to be loads of them so I thought best to ask for opinions.

Cheers,
    Bwana.
    The only safe computer is one which is unplugged and dropped to the bottom of the ocean.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I suppose another option would be to write my own encryption software. It shouldn't be too difficult because .Net has built-in functionality to do encryption. Only thing is, I don't know how I could produce self-decrypting exe files, so I guess the recipient of the encrypted file would need a copy of the software in order to decrypt.

Cheers,
    Not if you stick to open standards and algorithms, OpenPGP, GnuPG and probably the still free version of PGP use these as well as e.g. Java's cryptographic libraries.

Leave a comment:

• Bwana
    replied
    <deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:30.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Encrypt it and stick it in a self extracting zip file. Or just put it in a zip file with a strong password on it.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Thanks for the replies so far.

The purpose I have in mind is that I need to encrypt small documents containing IPR, so that I can email them and they can be downloaded and decrypted by the recipient if they know the key. For this purpose, the utility has to be able to create self-decrypting exe files and they would need to be small enough to email (ie less than 10 MB I guess).

Cheers,
    Bwana

Bwana's debut as a recording artist
    Watch out, a lot of corporate firewalls block exe attachments.

Leave a comment:

• Bwana
    replied
    <deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:29.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    Bwana's debut as a recording artist - don't give up your day job!

Leave a comment:

• Bwana
    replied
    <deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:29.

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
    Truecrypt is excellent, but I'm not sure it supports the self-extracting archive feature that the OP is after?
    Oh yes, I skim read the original question. me bad

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    truecrypt

Its very good, and has the concept of plausible deniability, where someone can't even prove that you have something encrypted, let alone decrypt it.

It's also open source and free.
    Truecrypt is excellent, but I'm not sure it supports the self-extracting archive feature that the OP is after?

Leave a comment:

• FSM with Cheddar
    replied
    truecrypt

Its very good, and has the concept of plausible deniability, where someone can't even prove that you have something encrypted, let alone decrypt it.

It's also open source and free.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Everyone uses WinRAR so why not use that?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why do you need it?

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    AxCrypt looks like it might do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Pervert...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X