• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pets

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pets"

Collapse

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Oh - congrats, they are brilliant pets for smallish children.
    Pogle jr has sole responsibility for her piggies, she feeds them and cleans them out, we do occasionally help her. They live in a massive cage in her bedroom and have a run in the garden for when its sunny. We also let them run free in the garden - its not very big and the piggies are too dumb to try and escape!
    They love the garden and run round popcorning all over the place - very cute.
    How many are you getting? - boys or girls?
    When I was at school (many years ago) I looked after the class guineas one weekend and let them out in the garden. They shot off and dived under the fence and we thought we'd lost them but luckily my Dad was able to grab them.

Ours are 2 boys currently 5 weeks old - it will be a long week for us until collecting them! We started the hunt at the pet shops, but by chance ended up visiting an author & reknowned breeder of the red dutch variety.

Our 2 do not have the right markings for show stock, hence the sale. To be honest, I can't believe there are guinea pig shows - you just have to smile/laugh looking at them I wouldn't be able to take it seriously.

Nice big cage, http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodent...rat_cage/95868. And of course we have got an outdoor and indoor run to stretch their legs a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    Guinea pigs here from next week. We are getting them for the children, however, I am pretty excited myself - they are very cute indeed.

Not that it needs justification, but there are further reasons I can readily think of - it will teach my 7 yo daughter some responsibility (at least for a week) and also in about 4 years time it will give her some idea what losing a loved one is like.
    Oh - congrats, they are brilliant pets for smallish children.
    Pogle jr has sole responsibility for her piggies, she feeds them and cleans them out, we do occasionally help her. They live in a massive cage in her bedroom and have a run in the garden for when its sunny. We also let them run free in the garden - its not very big and the piggies are too dumb to try and escape!
    They love the garden and run round popcorning all over the place - very cute.
    How many are you getting? - boys or girls?

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Has she not got any maiden great aunts or something? At least she'd get a few quid that way too?
    Perhaps at some point in the next 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    Guinea pigs here from next week. We are getting them for the children, however, I am pretty excited myself - they are very cute indeed.

Not that it needs justification, but there are further reasons I can readily think of - it will teach my 7 yo daughter some responsibility (at least for a week) and also in about 4 years time it will give her some idea what losing a loved one is like.
    Has she not got any maiden great aunts or something? At least she'd get a few quid that way too?

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Dogs x 2
    Cats x 5-7 (A couple have 1/2 adopted us)
    Chickens x 10
    Ducks x 4
    Fish x a few
    Bees x approx 40,000

HTH
    Tulip.... I forgot the 8 Rabbits

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What do you expect? It's CUK! Try this forum
    AWW cheers Mich
    - that's a great site, full of adorable nitwits, potty about piggies.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I wonder which CUK'er is going to post on there asking for "recipes" ?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I was just preempting the fact that whenever I mention guinea piggies some chirpy bugger pipes up about the time they spent in South America and how yummy they were.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Ok, takes through killing, skinning and jointing a Guinea Pig.

What colour should its viscerea be? Should we look for anything in particular as we eviscerate? Liver, kidneys, spleen etc?
    I was just preempting the fact that whenever I mention guinea piggies some chirpy bugger pipes up about the time they spent in South America and how yummy they were.

I could not kill and eat one - but I have no problem with other people doing so.
    My piggies are cute and make a special cooing noise when they see me

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Our Pigges co-exist quite happily with the moggies.
    But when we got the kittens from the RSPCA, we insisted that they had to be kittens so that they'd grow up with the guinea pigs and be used to being around them. It seems to have worked.

And our Piggies are BIG BU99ERS too.
    They make excellent first pets for children and if you get fed up of them I believe they're good on the barbie too
    Ok, takes through killing, skinning and jointing a Guinea Pig.

What colour should its viscerea be? Should we look for anything in particular as we eviscerate? Liver, kidneys, spleen etc?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    They make excellent first pets for children and if you get fed up of them I believe they're good on the barbie too
    They're the national dish in Peru; you can even get frozen guinea pig in the supermarkets there.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Our Pigges co-exist quite happily with the moggies.
    But when we got the kittens from the RSPCA, we insisted that they had to be kittens so that they'd grow up with the guinea pigs and be used to being around them. It seems to have worked.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    To be fair, that is a ikkle kitten and a big f**k off Guinea Pig!
    WHS. Give them 6 months together and it'll be one big f**k off cat and half a guinea pig.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    To be fair, that is a ikkle kitten and a big f**k off Guinea Pig!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X