• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Piracy triumph

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Piracy triumph"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Why are they called the Pirate Party?

It's because...

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Sweden’s Pirate Party, which wants an internet filesharing free-for-all, is one of the surprise entrants to the European Parliament after winning 7.4 per cent of the vote.

Aaaaar
    So all the potnoodlers voted for them

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Anyone know the history of "the Jolly Rodger"?
    No, but i have made Roger very jolly, on more than one occassion

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Sweden’s Pirate Party, which wants an internet filesharing free-for-all, is one of the surprise entrants to the European Parliament after winning 7.4 per cent of the vote.

Aaaaar

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Shamelessly stolen from http://www.talklikeapirate.com

Roger Tennant was a disgruntled haberdasher and experimental tailor. He is credited with designing the first “Beer Hat” which employed technology far ahead of its time – 1647. Two tankards were cleverly strapped to the wearers head and leathery tubes (made of finest sheep entrails) wound around the wearers head and led directly to the mouth. This was popular attire at bear-baiting and public hanging events.

Kendrick also pioneered the field of “T-shirt” design. While he was not a professional fashion designer, he was an enthusiastic amateur. In fact, the “T” in T-Shirt stands for “Tennant.” At the time, folks would say, “Oh! Thou art wearing a Tennant, aren’t thou?” He even began writing short saying to put on the front of his Tennant Shirts – for instance, a man’s shirt might read, “If I Told The Thou Were’t Buxom, Wouldst Thou Hold Them Against Me?” and his popular women’s Tennant Shirt – “Codpiece Inspector.” As his riches poured in, he became known for his good humor and generosity. “Jolly Roger!” the townspeople would call him.

Sadly, his career and his life came to an end when he sold a new design to the first mate of a notorious pirate – one named, “Blackbeard.” The first mate’s unfortunate Tennant Shirt depicted a finger pointing to the wearer’s right with a sign that read, “I Bee Withe STUPID!” and he showed the bad planning to wear the offending shirt when the whole crew was posing for their annual woodcut engraving – and, of course, the first mate stood to Blackbeard’s left – leaving the finger pointing directly at the tragically violent sea man.

Fortunately for the first mate, his skills were too valuable to Blackbeard to have him strung up from the mizzenmast. Unfortunately for Roger Tennant, Blackbeard was not a fan of avant-garde fashion and needed to punish someone.

But, ever the setter of trends, as “Jolly Roger’s” decaying skeleton dangled from the heights of the pirate ship – other pirates who couldn’t afford an actual haberdasher and experimental tailor’s skeleton of their own did the next best thing – they sewed symbols of the same onto flags which they then flew to identify to all the world, “We Really Hate Novelty T-Shirts!”

Well, it was either that or “Nobody knows.” Which would you prefer?

P.S. Yarrrrr!
    The "Skull & Cross Bones" was first used by the Knights Templar to signal that if you f**ked with one of their ships then "No Quarter" would be given!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Shamelessly stolen from http://www.talklikeapirate.com

Roger Tennant was a disgruntled haberdasher and experimental tailor. He is credited with designing the first “Beer Hat” which employed technology far ahead of its time – 1647. Two tankards were cleverly strapped to the wearers head and leathery tubes (made of finest sheep entrails) wound around the wearers head and led directly to the mouth. This was popular attire at bear-baiting and public hanging events.

Kendrick also pioneered the field of “T-shirt” design. While he was not a professional fashion designer, he was an enthusiastic amateur. In fact, the “T” in T-Shirt stands for “Tennant.” At the time, folks would say, “Oh! Thou art wearing a Tennant, aren’t thou?” He even began writing short saying to put on the front of his Tennant Shirts – for instance, a man’s shirt might read, “If I Told The Thou Were’t Buxom, Wouldst Thou Hold Them Against Me?” and his popular women’s Tennant Shirt – “Codpiece Inspector.” As his riches poured in, he became known for his good humor and generosity. “Jolly Roger!” the townspeople would call him.

Sadly, his career and his life came to an end when he sold a new design to the first mate of a notorious pirate – one named, “Blackbeard.” The first mate’s unfortunate Tennant Shirt depicted a finger pointing to the wearer’s right with a sign that read, “I Bee Withe STUPID!” and he showed the bad planning to wear the offending shirt when the whole crew was posing for their annual woodcut engraving – and, of course, the first mate stood to Blackbeard’s left – leaving the finger pointing directly at the tragically violent sea man.

Fortunately for the first mate, his skills were too valuable to Blackbeard to have him strung up from the mizzenmast. Unfortunately for Roger Tennant, Blackbeard was not a fan of avant-garde fashion and needed to punish someone.

But, ever the setter of trends, as “Jolly Roger’s” decaying skeleton dangled from the heights of the pirate ship – other pirates who couldn’t afford an actual haberdasher and experimental tailor’s skeleton of their own did the next best thing – they sewed symbols of the same onto flags which they then flew to identify to all the world, “We Really Hate Novelty T-Shirts!”

Well, it was either that or “Nobody knows.” Which would you prefer?

P.S. Yarrrrr!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There used to be a lot of jolly rodgering on Dutch TV but since the 'Christian Democrats' came to power it's been cut back and you have to buy a decoder now.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    I thought this was going to be about Ross Kemp chasing pirates off the coast of Somalia. Watched that last night, was a bit rubbish and the pirates won out in the end

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    My nephew is the image of Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball. I don't think it's the look he's going for but he can't help it.
    Yearrggg.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Yarrrrr!
    Aharrrrr!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Arrrrr!
    Yarrrrr!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Arrrrr!

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    There was a cover story on one of the news magazines a few weeks ago (Time or Life or one of those sort of mags). It was about the Danish Navy patrolling the Somali coastline. I suspect the whole thing was written up purely so they could use the headline...

VIKINGS vs PIRATES
    Last edited by dang65; 9 June 2009, 08:43.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I suppose there's something to be said for politicians that are upfront about their thievery.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X