• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How the feck did we win WWII?"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Anyways, the geezer that invented the panjamdrum is a genius...just look at what his invention led to today;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M58_MICLIC

Mailman
    Due to the inherent dangers of entering a live minefield to manually arm the backup fuses on a charge that could still detonate at any moment, possibly while under enemy fire as well, the act is jokingly referred to as the "Medal of Honor run".

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I really must read his biography... I bought it yonks ago.
    I saw a play about his life a few years ago. There were only 3 actors in the cast. One actor played AT man and boy.

The man was a genius.

Treated disgracefully by the establishment!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    With a bitter aftertaste...
    Knew you'd catch the reference!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Ah, Putin is rattling his sabres again...
    He's trouble, that boy Putin. Mark my words.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
    Yes the first real IT geek saved us. And he was apparently Gay, whatever that happens to do with anything I don't know. But it seems to upset the BNP so, it must be good .
    And so Apple Computer was formed...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    We won because God was on our side!

And don't you ever forget it!

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    The Yanks only decided to join us after we had proved our air superiority against the Germans. No surprises there then.

But really Churchill and Co tricked Hitler into losing the war. The Nazis were bombing our air fields and we were 5 days away from having no air defence. Whereby the Nazis could then bomb during the day and at will and hit all their targets, thus crippling us until full scale invasion (which would mean crippling us for good).

However Hitler had bragged that Berlin would never be bombed so, Churchill duly bombed it. In arrogance Hitler ordered his bombers away from the airfields to flatten London instead. Thus his Blitz saved our bacon. A massive arrogant mistake. And a clever trick by Churchill and Co. But it can also be seen as a desperate measure by the Brits as we were at deaths door. We got lucky that Hitler was that stupid and arrogant.

However this alone was not enough, decoding the Enigma device with the first real electronic computer Colssuss must also be the other contributing factor. Yes the first real IT geek saved us. And he was apparently Gay, whatever that happens to do with anything I don't know. But it seems to upset the BNP so, it must be good .

So:
    1) Churchill and Co successfully, tricking and exploiting Hitler’s arrogance into bombing London instead of our airfields.
    2) Inventing the first electronic computer to decode heavily enemy encrypted transmissions. Thus having full intelligence on enemy operations.

Of course there were many other factors, but the fact is these two issues were the reasons why we did not lose (and therefore were bound to win) WW2 eventually.

Leave a comment:

• sal626
    replied
    The destruction of the British Empire was an American aim... I'm sure they're very happy with the results.

Oddly, dear old Adolph seems to have admired the British Empire...
    Perhaps WW2 facilitated the end of the british empire, but it even if there was no WW2, the empire would have finished anyway. The Indians wanted independance well before WW2.

But no doubt after (during?) WW2 America had plans to be the "superpower" replacing Britian, esp in the middle east.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Ok, Blighty didn't win the war...but it sure as hell made sure the Allies DID win the war.

Without Blighty, Germany would not have had to fight across several fronts and would instead have been able to solely focus on destroying Russia.

The Germans could have absorbed the half million men lost at Stalingrad or during the DDay campaign...but it couldn't sustain losses from both theatres.

Anyways, the geezer that invented the panjamdrum is a genius...just look at what his invention led to today;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M58_MICLIC

Mailman

ps. Imagine if todays traitors were around during WWII (or even during the Falklandns). I dare say that people like Halifax and co would have had a massive amount of support from others like them wanting to surrender (and most probably apologise to Adolf for starting WWII).

pps. Imagine of Barry the Light Worker was President in 41. He too would have probably gone on a tour of Japan soon after Pearl Harbour and tried to reach out to the Japanese people, blaming American imperialism for Japanese aggression...most likely calling for war crime trials to be held for Churchill (thus avenging his great great great great great uncle who might have got looked at sideways by Winny in the Sudan!. The old fuzzy wuzzies dont like it up em they dont! ).

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Ah, Putin is rattling his sabres again...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Russia said recently that it could foresee a war in 10 years over claims to Artic oil... nice

does anybody know the way to WW3.. I wanna know I've gotta book me 'oliday

Far away countries of which we know little

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    With URL

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...f-history.html

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    ...and something similar may happen again soon apparently....

PZZ
    WTF

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    wudubya wudubya 2 - Polands fault??

...and something similar may happen again soon apparently....

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    How did we win?

Because dear boy, we didn't resort to the following:-

Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket
    An estimated 20,000 inmates at Mittelbau-Dora died constructing V-2s; 9000 died from exhaustion and collapse, 350 hanged (including 200 for sabotage), the remainder were shot or died from disease or starvation.
    Last edited by Churchill; 7 June 2009, 12:07.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X