• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spelling and grammar police"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    It's worth remembering that the 'speling!' smilie came about as a tribute to Fleetwood who corrected everyones spelling.

He sadly died and the tradition was continued by the members of the board.
    A great reminder Bear!

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    It's worth remembering that the 'speling!' smilie came about as a tribute to Fleetwood who corrected everyones spelling.

He sadly died and the tradition was continued by the members of the board.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    Ipersonallythinkspacesareawasteoftime.Imeanwhatist hepoint.Itsamazinghowmuchtimecollectivelyitcontrac torswillhavewastedtryingtoreadthis.Pleasedontsendm eaninvoiceforthetimeyouwastedreadingthiscrap.
    Personally

I

disagree .

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Ipersonallythinkspacesareawasteoftime.Imeanwhatist hepoint.Itsamazinghowmuchtimecollectivelyitcontrac torswillhavewastedtryingtoreadthis.Pleasedontsendm eaninvoiceforthetimeyouwastedreadingthiscrap.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is it really necessary to go around slagging off other people’s grammar or spelling? There are some people on the board whose first language isn’t English, others who are perhaps more talented in mathematical skills than literacy, some who speak more languages than most of you have hot meals each day, and some, like me, who went to poly because we’re a bit dim. So bloody what? It doesn’t make you look any smarter when you make comments about apostrophes or commas; it just makes you look like an anal retentive dipstick with a nasal voice and a traffic warden’s outfit. Some people write well, some don’t. Just live with it.
    And often, the people correcting the grammar, are incorrect themselves, due to a lack of knowledge of the proper application of grammar, possibly.

Threaded in "Danish grammar expert" mode

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    No, but I enjoy it.

I don't care how I look. Most bother with Traffic Wardens and (for that matter footie refs) can be avoided by playing by the rules. Isn't it funny how no-one ever suggests such a slack approach to maths?

2+2=7

No that's four.

Oh bog off maths police - you knew what I meant it was a minor error anyway.
    I agree with the Maths analogy, I was thinking a similar thing and waiting for it to be mentioned...

Furthering that point there is a type of 'Maths dyslexia' which is rarely acknowledged by the system (certainly not to the extent that dyslexia is) called dyscalculia - it's extremely unfair that those who are carp at English are labelled scalextric and get extra exam time at school while those carp at Maths get nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Is it really necessary to go around slagging off other people’s grammar or spelling?
    No, but I enjoy it.
    There are some people on the board whose first language isn’t English, others who are perhaps more talented in mathematical skills than literacy, some who speak more languages than most of you have hot meals each day, and some, like me, who went to poly because we’re a bit dim. So bloody what? It doesn’t make you look any smarter when you make comments about apostrophes or commas; it just makes you look like an anal retentive dipstick with a nasal voice and a traffic warden’s outfit. Some people write well, some don’t. Just live with it.
    I don't care how I look. Most bother with Traffic Wardens and (for that matter footie refs) can be avoided by playing by the rules. Isn't it funny how no-one ever suggests such a slack approach to maths?

2+2=7

No that's four.

Oh bog off maths police - you knew what I meant it was a minor error anyway.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 4 June 2009, 22:08. Reason: Various spelling and punctuation errors

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Consensus? Around here? Only about the uselessness of backs, and even then it's only a three man consensus. Still, three back row forwards is enough to kick tulip out of the rest of these wimps.
    Steady on old boy!

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Ooh, get her!

Sure you're not Tay?

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Consensus? Around here? Only about the uselessness of backs, and even then it's only a three man consensus. Still, three back row forwards is enough to kick tulip out of the rest of these wimps.
    Ooh, get her!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    So what is the consensus?
    Are "we" going to stop nit-picking about the odd typo that slips into posts maintaining the option for humourous effect?

Or I am just plain stupid expacting any consensus....

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Obviously.

Come on, live with it! If you can't be bothered to spell correctly or punctuate then expect the odd ribbing, and let's be fair, that's all it is!
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    Orly?

No wai!! I can haz a foo mistaykes withawt your may-king fun of mii and I can haz an angry when youz makes fun of the wayz I am talkings! We allz makings mistaking from times to times ohkay, gett of yourz hi whorse okai!!
    The difference being that every-so-often a really immature twat raises his ugly zit-ridden face. For you dear boy, we have the comfy chair!

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Obviously.

Come on, live with it! If you can't be bothered to spell correctly or punctuate then expect the odd ribbing, and let's be fair, that's all it is!
    Orly?

No wai!! I can haz a foo mistaykes withawt your may-king fun of mii and I can haz an angry when youz makes fun of the wayz I am talkings! We allz makings mistaking from times to times ohkay, gett of yourz hi whorse okai!!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    So, what your saying is, we all make mistakes, its just some are more mistaken than others.
    Obviously.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    So, what your saying is, we all make mistakes, its just some are more mistaken than others.
    I am saying that mistakes are mistakes, and should be acknowledged. Attacking those who notice a mistake, rather than the person who made it in the first place is very New Labour. Polcitical correctness run riot, that's what I say!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X