• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: what theft?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "what theft?"

Collapse

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Ta!
    You're welcome

If you're interested, drop me a PM. I can send you over some true insomnia-cure stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Sorry - artificial neural network.
    Ta!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Yes.

Sorry, what's "ANN" stand for?
    Sorry - artificial neural network.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Depends. Is that normal for him?
    Yes.

The key to Falcon is that it generates an understanding from n-thousand dimensions of what is "normal" for a particular card, not for the whole portfolio. If it was done on a portfolio basis you'd be getting a much higher false-positive rate - here, the false positive rate with Falcon is around 8:1 - in the non-ANN environment, it's around 55:1 at best.
    Sorry, what's "ANN" stand for?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Not surprised they might think you'd need it. A colleague had a collision with another car, whose driver was insured with the same company. They wouldn't pay him in full because they said it was the other driver's fault. In their capacity as the other driver's insurer, they denied that it was his fault.
    You couldn't make it up!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I've got a mate who does 6 months in various God forsaken parts of the world, board and lodgings paid for (i.e. spends nowt), then has a month off when he has a good splurge. Does the Falcon system cater for that sort of spending style?
    Depends. Is that normal for him?

The key to Falcon is that it generates an understanding from n-thousand dimensions of what is "normal" for a particular card, not for the whole portfolio. If it was done on a portfolio basis you'd be getting a much higher false-positive rate - here, the false positive rate with Falcon is around 8:1 - in the non-ANN environment, it's around 55:1 at best.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Yep - single premium payment protection has now been outlawed and about bloody time too!
    Aye. In my case it was a real swine as nobody had told me about it before it appeared on the final bill from the solicitor (which I had to pay in full or wave the house goodbye).

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I understand your shock.

It's like when I discovered Gap insurance (after reading a post on here). You buy insurance which covers you against your insurance company underpaying on a car claim. And who hawks these policies? Why it's the same folks you buy your car insurance from!
    Not surprised they might think you'd need it. A colleague had a collision with another car, whose driver was insured with the same company. They wouldn't pay him in full because they said it was the other driver's fault. In their capacity as the other driver's insurer, they denied that it was his fault.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    :cough: :cough:

This exists, I know 'cos I worked on it (as did a bunch of other people - I was but a junior techie at the time).

It's called Falcon and - without wishing to blow my own trumpet too much - it ******* rocks.
    I've got a mate who does 6 months in various God forsaken parts of the world, board and lodgings paid for (i.e. spends nowt), then has a month off when he has a good splurge. Does the Falcon system cater for that sort of spending style?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I got stung 30 years ago by a one off insurance payment to cover me defaulting on my mortgage. From that article it looks as those will be banned as well, and about time too.

(I read a year or two ago that those policies rarely if ever actually did pay out.)
    Yep - single premium payment protection has now been outlawed and about bloody time too!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...in_page_id=506

I must admit that 20 years ago I did fall for the "insure the balance on your credit card" scam. I cancelled all that 15 years ago because I thought it was a rip off. I obviously haven't needed it since I have been a contractor.
    I got stung 30 years ago by a one off insurance payment to cover me defaulting on my mortgage. From that article it looks as those will be banned as well, and about time too.

(I read a year or two ago that those policies rarely if ever actually did pay out.)

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    They need to develop this purchasing pattern thing a lot more. Like, if my credit card was used to spend more than 8 quid on a pair of shoes they should know it couldn't possibly be me.
    :cough: :cough:

This exists, I know 'cos I worked on it (as did a bunch of other people - I was but a junior techie at the time).

It's called Falcon and - without wishing to blow my own trumpet too much - it ******* rocks.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I understand your shock.

It's like when I discovered Gap insurance (after reading a post on here). You buy insurance which covers you against your insurance company underpaying on a car claim. And who hawks these policies? Why it's the same folks you buy your car insurance from!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    It's the shifting of blame that gets me.

If someone masquerades as me in order to get credit, and the business that wrongly gave credit tries to recover it from me, and credit agencies band together to refuse me credit, it is a falsehood to say that I am a victim of "identity theft".

The business that gave the credit in error is a victim of fraud; and I am a victim of the business' and the credit agencies' harrassment.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Just on the phone to card provider, they spent ages trying to persuade me to pay for identity theft insurance.

AIUI, if someone dishonestly pretends to be me, some financial institutions may wrongly accept their word. So my card company wants me to pay them to take some steps to try to make it that I don't suffer unduly from people like them wrongly falling for someone else's fraud? ISTM that whoever "steals" my identity is a criminal, and whoever they deceive is a victim. Why should I pay to insure against their mistake?
    Identity theft insurance. I like it!

The banks do have to come up with another revenue stream to replace payment protection insurance on loans.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...in_page_id=506

I must admit that 20 years ago I did fall for the "insure the balance on your credit card" scam. I cancelled all that 15 years ago because I thought it was a rip off. I obviously haven't needed it since I have been a contractor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X