• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what theft?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Went on a bit of a spending spree with my American Express once. In 2nd shop or 3rd they called the store and I had to convince them it was me.
    I had PM with a platinum card, took the whole team down Soho, had that happen to. She was not happy.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Just on the phone to card provider, they spent ages trying to persuade me to pay for identity theft insurance.

AIUI, if someone dishonestly pretends to be me, some financial institutions may wrongly accept their word. So my card company wants me to pay them to take some steps to try to make it that I don't suffer unduly from people like them wrongly falling for someone else's fraud? ISTM that whoever "steals" my identity is a criminal, and whoever they deceive is a victim. Why should I pay to insure against their mistake?
      Identity theft insurance. I like it!

The banks do have to come up with another revenue stream to replace payment protection insurance on loans.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...in_page_id=506

I must admit that 20 years ago I did fall for the "insure the balance on your credit card" scam. I cancelled all that 15 years ago because I thought it was a rip off. I obviously haven't needed it since I have been a contractor.

Comment

It's the shifting of blame that gets me.

If someone masquerades as me in order to get credit, and the business that wrongly gave credit tries to recover it from me, and credit agencies band together to refuse me credit, it is a falsehood to say that I am a victim of "identity theft".

The business that gave the credit in error is a victim of fraud; and I am a victim of the business' and the credit agencies' harrassment.

Comment

I understand your shock.

It's like when I discovered Gap insurance (after reading a post on here). You buy insurance which covers you against your insurance company underpaying on a car claim. And who hawks these policies? Why it's the same folks you buy your car insurance from!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            They need to develop this purchasing pattern thing a lot more. Like, if my credit card was used to spend more than 8 quid on a pair of shoes they should know it couldn't possibly be me.
            :cough: :cough:

This exists, I know 'cos I worked on it (as did a bunch of other people - I was but a junior techie at the time).

It's called Falcon and - without wishing to blow my own trumpet too much - it ******* rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
              http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-...in_page_id=506

I must admit that 20 years ago I did fall for the "insure the balance on your credit card" scam. I cancelled all that 15 years ago because I thought it was a rip off. I obviously haven't needed it since I have been a contractor.
              I got stung 30 years ago by a one off insurance payment to cover me defaulting on my mortgage. From that article it looks as those will be banned as well, and about time too.

(I read a year or two ago that those policies rarely if ever actually did pay out.)
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                I got stung 30 years ago by a one off insurance payment to cover me defaulting on my mortgage. From that article it looks as those will be banned as well, and about time too.

(I read a year or two ago that those policies rarely if ever actually did pay out.)
                Yep - single premium payment protection has now been outlawed and about bloody time too!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  :cough: :cough:

This exists, I know 'cos I worked on it (as did a bunch of other people - I was but a junior techie at the time).

It's called Falcon and - without wishing to blow my own trumpet too much - it ******* rocks.
                  I've got a mate who does 6 months in various God forsaken parts of the world, board and lodgings paid for (i.e. spends nowt), then has a month off when he has a good splurge. Does the Falcon system cater for that sort of spending style?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    I understand your shock.

It's like when I discovered Gap insurance (after reading a post on here). You buy insurance which covers you against your insurance company underpaying on a car claim. And who hawks these policies? Why it's the same folks you buy your car insurance from!
                    Not surprised they might think you'd need it. A colleague had a collision with another car, whose driver was insured with the same company. They wouldn't pay him in full because they said it was the other driver's fault. In their capacity as the other driver's insurer, they denied that it was his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                      Yep - single premium payment protection has now been outlawed and about bloody time too!
                      Aye. In my case it was a real swine as nobody had told me about it before it appeared on the final bill from the solicitor (which I had to pay in full or wave the house goodbye).

Comment

Working...
                      X