• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who here had the poorest upbringing?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Do you want to be "the one" today like?
    Well, if you want a fight.

darn. lost.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You're Kate Winslett, and I claim my £5

(As someone pointed out "I'd take her protestations of childhood poverty a little more seriously if she didn't use words like 'beastly' and 'frightful'" )
    Slight adjustment:
    "Seriously I'd ignore her protestations and take her more beastly....."

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So, where did it all go wrong, if you can't blame it on your parents?
    Do you want to be "the one" today like?

Leave a comment:

• BrianSnail
    replied
    We were so poor that daddy had to drive the roll's himself...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

We were so poor we didn't get a colour TV until I was 15. ( Middle class poor, you see). We never had a video recorder, nor a hifi. We didn't go on a foreign holiday until I was 10. And that was by train and ferry... camping for two weeks. I did go to private school from 10, but that's because I had a free place. The family car was a reliant van until I was 9 - then we had Skodas. ..
    You're Kate Winslett, and I claim my £5

(As someone pointed out "I'd take her protestations of childhood poverty a little more seriously if she didn't use words like 'beastly' and 'frightful'" )

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    At first glance I have much in common with that DimPrawn chappy. I too was brought up in a council house, in our case a one-parent family on benefit, no telephone or car etc. However I somehow managed to avoid living in Swindon. One compensation, at least. At least I learnt how to live without spending much; something I'm now having to get used to again. Where did all the jobs go - where they just illusions after all?
    good one

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    At first glance I have much in common with that DimPrawn chappy. I too was brought up in a council house, in our case a one-parent family on benefit, no telephone or car etc. However I somehow managed to avoid living in Swindon. One compensation, at least. At least I learnt how to live without spending much; something I'm now having to get used to again. Where did all the jobs go - where they just illusions after all?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

We were so poor we didn't get a colour TV until I was 15. ( Middle class poor, you see). We never had a video recorder, nor a hifi. We didn't go on a foreign holiday until I was 10. And that was by train and ferry... camping for two weeks. I did go to private school from 10, but that's because I had a free place. The family car was a reliant van until I was 9 - then we had Skodas.

We had a ten-sided one once - a skodecahedron.
    That's nothing. You should try upper class poor. No dampproofing for the country house, patched up tweed jackets, spending all morning collecting wood for the 17 fireplaces and then being sent to boarding school to be lashed with a cane every day. Bloody hell, we didn't even get a moat cleaning allowance. I had to jump in the mud and clear out the rusty old bicycles the local chavs had thrown in, then shoot my own pheasant, pluck it, drain out the blood in the back of a Range Rover and then cook it on a wood burning stove. Oh, but I was happy in them days.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    We weren't "poor", cause my dad worked. Between his overtime and my mam's clothes making and cooking skills, we had everything we needed and more.

I had a truly blessed childhood.

We were so poor we didn't get a colour TV until I was 15. ( Middle class poor, you see). We never had a video recorder, nor a hifi. We didn't go on a foreign holiday until I was 10. And that was by train and ferry... camping for two weeks. I did go to private school from 10, but that's because I had a free place. The family car was a reliant van until I was 9 - then we had Skodas.

We had a ten-sided one once - a skodecahedron.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    [Northern Oik]

Eeeeeee wen I were young we never even 'ad 'kin deja 'kin vu!!!

[/Northern Oik]
    Now crying, never a good look for the office, cheers Drewster.

'eeee, wen I were a lad we'd get up so early, we were up an hour b'fore we went to us beds'

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Please dont feed him the lines SA

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Were you abused?
    Please dont feed him the lines SA

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Cue Pythonesque Yorkshiremen quotes.
    [Northern Oik]

Eeeeeee wen I were young we never even 'ad 'kin deja 'kin vu!!!

[/Northern Oik]

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    My upbringing was so poor I had to become a recruitment consultant
    Were you abused?
    Not as much as he is now!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied