• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is it with Football "fans""

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I'm guessing that's not the Llanelli or 'Quinns crowd in the last photo then, Mitch.
    No, there isn't even enough genetic diversity in that photo for a herd of sheep from Llanelli.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Will he grow up to be like this lot?
    I'm guessing that's not the Llanelli or 'Quinns crowd in the last photo then, Mitch.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Will he grow up to be like this lot?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Ah you're back SB. Although "back" to what is a moot point, given the turgid, yet feeble electric impulses that you fondly pass off as thoughts.

Irrespective of your rather colourful description sg, they still pass thousands of feet over YOUR head, and the dormant organ stored therein.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Yes sg, you and some other lightweights have all agreed that you can pigeonhole the tens of millions around the world who follow football as thick-headed violent hooligans. Nothing like a balanced judgment..........and that is exactly what your statement and conclusion was.
    You must find the real world a difficult place to operate in with your need for black and white answers that seldom exist. Most would put that rather simplistic outlook down to a limited intellect, and most would be right to do so. Jog on jellyhead!
    Ah you're back SB. Although "back" to what is a moot point, given the turgid, yet feeble electric impulses that you fondly pass off as thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Yes sg, you and some other lightweights have all agreed that you can pigeonhole the tens of millions around the world who follow football as thick-headed violent hooligans. Nothing like a balanced judgment..........and that is exactly what your statement and conclusion was.
    You must find the real world a difficult place to operate in with your need for black and white answers that seldom exist. Most would put that rather simplistic outlook down to a limited intellect, and most would be right to do so. Jog on jellyhead!
    You're going home in a Devonshire ambulance!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    So we're agreed that football fans are the rump end of society.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    But it is something about the game itself, too.
    Dunno. Thing is you can only ever go from your own experience, and I've been to a tonne of games and watch a tonne of games and know a tonne of people who do likewise. And you know what, not since the late 80's/early 90's have I seen a whiff of the trouble there used to be.

Actually - here's a good link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ents_in_sports

Actually, look at the last few years: Basketball, AFL, American Football, NHL, Baseball, Cricket, Rugby League ...

I think we're propagating a myth here by the looks of it.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes.
    Blimey! Consensus all round!

Must be a first for CUK.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well yes, that’s what it became when the footy club played play-offs for promotion to the Dutch premier division (they lost and remain in Jupiler league). It’s a shame; I know a few of the players and they’re generally quite a good crowd, not the pumped up egos you read about in the press, but good professional sportsmen, earning a respectable living but no more than that, who feel let down when the ‘fans’ go on the rampage. On the one hand, I saw their disappointment at failing to get promotion, but heaven knows what kind of trouble it would have brought if the Feyenoord neo-Nazis came to town every year.
    True. Lots of people say it's the players' fault. I don't think it is. The professional players I have met (ordinary ones, not superstars) were nice blokes - not thugs and idiots.

Football just gives thugs and hooligans something to focus on. But it is something about the game itself, too.

Why does this not happen with rugby or cricket or whatever sport, where the fans and players are merely friendly rivals, who will share a pint or ten after the match, and all go home in good company?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    With rugby, the vicious hooligans are on the pitch. Except Alan Quinlan of course.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    It is a cultural mindset that is associated with football that I find so disgusting. I know rugby players and rugby supporters who are not tribal or aggressive about who they support. But these same people change abruptly when conversations change to football; the fists become clenched and the word hate is used extensively when references are made to other teams.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you will live in a violent 3rd world tribal back water!
    Well yes, that’s what it became when the footy club played play-offs for promotion to the Dutch premier division (they lost and remain in Jupiler league). It’s a shame; I know a few of the players and they’re generally quite a good crowd, not the pumped up egos you read about in the press, but good professional sportsmen, earning a respectable living but no more than that, who feel let down when the ‘fans’ go on the rampage. On the one hand, I saw their disappointment at failing to get promotion, but heaven knows what kind of trouble it would have brought if the Feyenoord neo-Nazis came to town every year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X