• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""We'll pay it back""

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    he he

my point is,

ahh well doesn't matter

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    To : HMRC

Look lads,

calm down it's like this....

Interpretation of the rules allowed this to happen

everything was signed off as ok

today, due to many reasons, it has been deemed that retrospective decisions are today not acceptable and a newer interpretation is being made to the rules

consequently, what is so wrong with my offering to do the gentlemanly thing and pay back expenses which in the past were acceptable ?

why should I pay it back ?

it could be aregued it is not fair that this is being looked at retrospectively ?

why not just draw the line today with new rules and forget the past

it's because the public love it

Milan.

Could you please copy & paste the reply you got back from HMRC please Milan ?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Look lads,

calm down it's like this....

Interpretation of the rules allowed this to happen

everything was signed off as ok

today, due to many reasons, it has been deemed that retrospective decisions are today not acceptable and a newer interpretation is being made to the rules

consequently, what is so wrong with MP's offering to do the gentlemanly thing and pay back expenses which in the past were acceptable ?

why should they pay it back ?

it could be aregued it is not fair that this is being looked at retrospectively ?

why not just draw the line today with new rules and forget the past

it's because the public love it

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate View Post
    As far as tax deductable expenses for personal tax advice is concerned, this is not an allowable deduction & for caught MPs to just pay it back is not good enough. HMRC should as aceOO says above, impose a penalty and interest from each time the tax should have been paid. Same goes for the capital gains tax re Hazel Blears & co - penalty and interest.

Interesting to note that Blears once caught, paid HMRC the capital gains tax (less the penalty & interest she'd expect anyone else to be subjected).But she's still keeping the nett profit. The Green book does stipulate an MP must not profit from their expenses. Blears has for starters and a good few more.

Any MP who's paid tax on the expenses clearly has broken the rules simply because they profitted from the expense. If they didn't profit there wouldn't be tax to pay. Benefits in kind are suppose to be reflected in their tax code.

Yeah well the opposition are not making these points, for obvious reasons. So thank God for the free press and the bloggers, the true HM Opposition

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    As far as tax deductable expenses for personal tax advice is concerned, this is not an allowable deduction & for caught MPs to just pay it back is not good enough. HMRC should as aceOO says above, impose a penalty and interest from each time the tax should have been paid. Same goes for the capital gains tax re Hazel Blears & co - penalty and interest.

Interesting to note that Blears once caught, paid HMRC the capital gains tax (less the penalty & interest she'd expect anyone else to be subjected).But she's still keeping the nett profit. The Green book does stipulate an MP must not profit from their expenses. Blears has for starters and a good few more.

Any MP who's paid tax on the expenses clearly has broken the rules simply because they profitted from the expense. If they didn't profit there wouldn't be tax to pay. Benefits in kind are suppose to be reflected in their tax code.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    On the other hand, finding tens of thousands of pounds to pay back is not easy. And remember they have in most cases not broken any law... except for a few piss-takers most of the public outcry is more about jealousy than fraud.

Does anyone know what time-frame they're paying things back over? Weeks, months, years?
    I'm actually quite comfortable with the claims for mortgage interest payment, furniture, food etc. I've seen consultants claim these over the years when working away from home; I'm sure the bill may have been higher if the MPs concerned had stayed each week at hotels in central London...

There are cases however where they've taken the urine - "flipping", moats, duck houses etc. In these cases I'd like to see the police investigate, if the claims could be seen as fraudulent.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    I've heard on the news grapevine that the HMRC will be investigating whether their claims for tax returns were legal....

I did laugh at the "Alistair Darling said that he paid for the accountant to check whether he was paying the correct amount of tax".

Yes, same as the rest of us.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    On the other hand, finding tens of thousands of pounds to pay back is not easy. And remember they have in most cases not broken any law... except for a few piss-takers most of the public outcry is more about jealousy than fraud.

Does anyone know what time-frame they're paying things back over? Weeks, months, years?

Claiming enough travel expenses to travel twice around the globe when your constituency is about ten miles from Westminster seems pretty fraudulent to me !! Most of the current cabinet should already have been sacked.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    What if the people already serving prison sentences offered to pay "it" back, if possible of course.

Would they be let out?

Don't think so.
    There is a bit of a difference in most MPs expense claims though.
    Most MPs were claiming in order with the rules.
    I do think there is scope for criminal proceedings and/or HMRC proceedings against some of them.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied

I've wondered the same thing - I wonder whether it'll come from a seperate loan "pot" that they'll all have immediate and interest free access to

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    What if the people already serving prison sentences offered to pay "it" back, if possible of course.

Would they be let out?

Don't think so.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    started a topic "We'll pay it back"

"We'll pay it back"

All the politicians caught with their hand in the till seem to come out with this line like that will make it all alright.
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I tried that would I not be hit with tax bill, additional tax fine, a day in court, possible sentence & criminal record?
    I mean it's a nice deal - perhaps if I don't ever pay any tax and just wait for the revenue to perhaps "remind" me one day - would that be OK too?

Working...
X