• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: SAP TAO Training

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SAP TAO Training"

Collapse

• Stefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    I have already used HP Quality Center
    It looks like SAP and HP have done a product deal
    TAO (Test Acceleration and Optimization)is used in order to create the test components automatically which they are uploaded into the HP Quality Center project. Within QC a user can then develop their test cases/scenarios. TAO is then used in order to consolidate these tests into a smaller unit. Once the test are consolidated they can be opened and ran in QTP for debugging purposes, in general the test will be ran in QC where QTP is running in the back end as the engine
    Correct.
    The main idea / philosophy is that (after initial set-up) a functional owner or business analyst can run and maintain it's "own" automated testscripts without having to manually edit the test scripts. So no test engineer should be necessary. All dependent on the level of test knowledge of the functional user of course.

Regards, Stefan

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Stefan View Post
    Hello Mich,

I've seen the tool being used. It's the next step in SAP test automation. In Holland several customers are implementing or have implemented SAP TAO. It is a growing market in the Netherlands, but not huge (yet?). Logically, since the tool is supported by SAP, UK companies will also implement it in the future I presume.

If you want to follow training, SAP NL provides TAO training in Holland (Den Bosch). The training is called "Get ready to use SAP TAO" and gives an approach to use TAO in combination with the HP Software test tool suite (QC and QTP). More info on: http://www.sap.com/netherlands/servi..._TAO_in_QC.pdf

For the UK guys: beginning next year there will also be a "virtual classroom" TAO training available via SAP. This summer we'll start developing it in cooperation with SAP NL.

Regards, Stefan
    I have already used HP Quality Center
    It looks like SAP and HP have done a product deal
    TAO (Test Acceleration and Optimization)is used in order to create the test components automatically which they are uploaded into the HP Quality Center project. Within QC a user can then develop their test cases/scenarios. TAO is then used in order to consolidate these tests into a smaller unit. Once the test are consolidated they can be opened and ran in QTP for debugging purposes, in general the test will be ran in QC where QTP is running in the back end as the engine

Leave a comment:

• Stefan
    replied
    SAP TAO Training

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    OK, SAP people, I’ve had a call from someone at a SAP supplier in NL selling SAP TAO training; TAO is the SAP test tool. Have you guys seen it being used? Is there much demand for it on SAP projects?
    Hello Mich,

I've seen the tool being used. It's the next step in SAP test automation. In Holland several customers are implementing or have implemented SAP TAO. It is a growing market in the Netherlands, but not huge (yet?). Logically, since the tool is supported by SAP, UK companies will also implement it in the future I presume.

If you want to follow training, SAP NL provides TAO training in Holland (Den Bosch). The training is called "Get ready to use SAP TAO" and gives an approach to use TAO in combination with the HP Software test tool suite (QC and QTP). More info on: http://www.sap.com/netherlands/servi..._TAO_in_QC.pdf

For the UK guys: beginning next year there will also be a "virtual classroom" TAO training available via SAP. This summer we'll start developing it in cooperation with SAP NL.

Regards, Stefan
    Last edited by Stefan; 26 May 2009, 09:12. Reason: Wrong name in my response

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I have SAP ISU experience, admittedly from a few years ago...
    Might be worth getting the training and blagging it then. The trick is to not admit anything...

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mich the Tester;851557]I have SAP ISU experience, admittedly from a few years ago.

Testing is about understanding requirements and then testing them, not about knowing an application inside out.

Thats correct as you need to understand the requirements in order to first write the test and secondly to perform the test.

If TAO works like HP Quality center then all it is in simple terms is your testing log.

You load the test script.
    Perform the test script step by step until a step fails.
    You click the failed button and an email is sent to the testing manager who
    now has something to discuss at the next meeting and another email is sent
    to an offshore center for a configuration/program change.

Performing the test manually and making the configuration change myself
    in 5 mins is no longer good project practice.
    We now have cheap offshore labour centers so we need to use them

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    These tools like TAO which I havn't heard of are Add ons which require prior
    experience of SAP.
    You can learn a test tool simply by watching someone or reading the help section/manual but you must have experience with the product you are testing.

It will be 10yrs SAP and TAO nice to have or must have
    not
    2 yrs TAO SAP nice to have.
    2 years experience for a tool that´s only just come on the market? Yep, that’s usually how it works with agents and managernumpties.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i love SAP

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    And even if it becomes the next big thing in SAP, if you do the training, you'll find it very difficult to get a contract if you've no SAP experience...
    These tools like TAO which I havn't heard of are Add ons which require prior
    experience of SAP.
    You can learn a test tool simply by watching someone or reading the help section/manual but you must have experience with the product you are testing.

It will be 10yrs SAP and TAO nice to have or must have
    not
    2 yrs TAO SAP nice to have.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    And even if it becomes the next big thing in SAP, if you do the training, you'll find it very difficult to get a contract if you've no SAP experience...
    I have SAP ISU experience, admittedly from a few years ago.

I still can't understand why people want testers with experience in a particular app though, seeing as testing is about understanding requirements and then testing them, not about knowing an application inside out, but never mind, that's a well worn rant already.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I have a love hate relation with the tools.
    I agree. I hate test tools because they're mostly just useless tulipe that need more maintenance than the testobject itself and I love the invoices I can send when I'm forced to use them.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    It's only been out a few years. The way things usually work with SAP, is that the products are crap in the early stages and no-one wants them. Then they get usable (not necessarily good, but usable), and then everyone wants it.

I'd guess it's still in the crap stage. There's no contracts for it on jobserve.

I've never used it, and hadn't heard of it until now.
    They never leave the crap stage and they sometimes change name.
    Mercury test director now is HP quality center.
    Test tools just increase the project time which is good for contractors.
    Project managers love them as they give document proof that you have
    performed the test.
    I have a love hate relation with the tools. I can write scenarios to make
    the test fail.
    They look good on the CV
    Logo partners love them as must get a commisson for recommending them

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    well it looks like a prosperous area to get into...

http://www.jobserve.com/JobListing.a...C2FB821EBFE412

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    never heard of it

maybe that's a good thing

isn't it strange for people to be touting courses ?

isn't that kind of a bit desperate, someone phone you out of the blue to sell you a sap course which will be your road to £$£

strange

maybe that would be a good plan b, sell sap courses to the desperado's

that's what financial crises do eh

Milan.
    It wasn't a cold call; it's a guy that I worked with some years ago on a SAP project; I just wanted a second opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I found this rather managementish document on t'web;

http://www.hp.nl/thrive/files/sap_ta...acing_deck.pdf

Worthless BS or money making BS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X