• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Schmoke and a Pancake"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yes, and if you’re walking in a pair it’s best to agree that one should look up to spot tulipting seagulls an the other should look down to scan for dogtulip on the pavements.
    and thats when the bollards get you right in the nacks

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    And dont underestimate the seagulls either.
    It is a common myth that the Luftwaffe disbanded at the end of the war. They didnt. They simply painted all of the Stuka dive-bombers white and put false beaks on them, and they now fly around in formation looking for British tourists to bomb. Of course they cant get away with using 500 kg High Explosive bombs, so they use 1/4 kg imitation/seagull/sh 1 te/chemical stink-weaponry

Yes, and if you’re walking in a pair it’s best to agree that one should look up to spot tulipting seagulls an the other should look down to scan for dogtulip on the pavements.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I lived there on a gig

for a few months. the most unusual living arrangements I've ever had when on a gig - on a canal boat. Was ace.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    And dont underestimate the seagulls either.
    It is a common myth that the Luftwaffe disbanded at the end of the war. They didnt. They simply painted all of the Stuka dive-bombers white and put false beaks on them, and they now fly around in formation looking for British tourists to bomb. Of course they cant get away with using 500 kg High Explosive bombs, so they use 1/4 kg imitation/seagull/sh 1 te/chemical stink-weaponry

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Cheers for the advice. We're heading to Amster in August and this is now on the list of places to shop.
    Have fun! It's one of my favourite cities.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If you go on the water tour, make sure you are under cover for when the b@astards pour coke on your head from the bridges.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Rijstafel. Yum.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Restaurant Club

This is over 2 years ago but,

Somewhere near the harbour in an old what looks like ex LA building is a restaurant called 11. Its basically the top two floors an old disused what I think used to be apartment block

Its huge open plan, food is good and turns into a nightclub when people finish eating. Fantastic views of the "Dam"

Oosterdokskade 5 is the address IIRC

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Posted by Santa Claus : Absolute Danny
    Cheers for the advice. We're heading to Amster in August and this is now on the list of places to shop.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    The Grasshopper, steak house, boozer, hash bar,...
    e-coli, amoebic dyssentry, campylobacter, clostridium...

syphilis

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I'm sat in an internet cafe in Amsterdam as I type, and I can recommend the ''Wok and Walk'' chinese takeaway/eat in. Around 7 euros gives you a carton of noodles or rice with meat, and it tastes awesome.
    I remember that place from last time was there. The rest is pretty hazy Confirmed awesomeness

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I do like the Jordan area of Amsterdam, really pretty there. Best hotel if you want to splash out is the Pullitzer in the same area. It's where Oceans 12 was filmed.

If you want to buy the wife something risque, look up a shop called Absolute Danny. I wont go into detail here!

And Schipol Airport is very nice, makes Heathrow look like Afghanistan.

I always seem to end up in this grand cafe for lunch when I go:

http://www.diningcity.nl/cafedejaren/
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 25 May 2009, 21:56.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Slightly more helpful

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...20.81,,0,-20.1

The Grasshopper, steak house, boozer, hash bar - all you need really

Well, it was good 8 years ago when I was there anyway!
    My hotel room looks out on the Grasshopper - how cool is that

Hookers just round the corner...

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I'm sat in an internet cafe in Amsterdam as I type, and I can recommend the ''Wok and Walk'' chinese takeaway/eat in. Around 7 euros gives you a carton of noodles or rice with meat, and it tastes awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Its all nice really, just have a wander about and enjoy.

Must say it's my favourite city, not for the obvious stuff (married, so not into the hooker thing but do like a schmoke), its just got a certain vibe to it that clicked with me. Red light is normally full of junkies and idiots who hassle you during the daytime so best at night.

I used to stay round Rembrantsplein and go to the coffeeshop called 'Smokey', dont know whether its still there though as not been over for a while. Canal trips sound very touristy but are great - means you see a lot of bits of the city that you wouldn't normally visit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X