• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Quiz III

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quiz III"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I liked this response from professor shoelace:-

Professor Shoelace

“Is it more efficient to do so while on a walkway, or off the walkway?”.

If our ONLY concern is the total time taken to get from A to B, then pausing to tie while on the walkway is indeed both intuitively and mathematically a “more efficient” use of our time.

Personally, I believe it would be “more efficient” to tie your shoes immediately upon noticing that they had come undone, regardless of whether that occurred on a walkway or not. That way, one’s energies could be devoted to pondering other more worthwhile things (such as mathematics) rather than concentrating on stepping carefully to avoid an accident due to an untied shoelace.

For even greater efficiency, those who regularly suffer from untied shoelaces would be well advised to Google the problem. The short time spent learning a better shoelace knot will invariably be far less than the combined times of thousands of re-ties over the space of a lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    DOH

In hindsight it's obvious the two biggest slow coaches should cross together.
    Hindsight - Wonderful thing!
    PS - I am the lardy slowcoach!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Well to be fair - I don't think its right to say "Everyone assumed that A has to come back all the time".

Mich gave you the answer (albeit sneakily) about 10 mins after you posted....

OwlHoot - Bragged about how easy it was (although he was spouting bulltulip)
    ASB - Told him he was wrong (which suggests that He knew the real answer)
    I - (also) Implied OwlHoot was shot down flames (suggesting I knew the answer)

Don't you read any of this stuff!!
    DOH

In hindsight it's obvious the two biggest slow coaches should cross together.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by basshead View Post
    Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven
    Depends who else is there.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I'm a very efficient love maker, it's not my fault if she can't keep up.
    Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    See Pondlife's answer above.

Everyone assumed that A has to come back all the time...but not so.

A+B = 2 mins.
    A comes back = 1 min.
    C+D = 8 mins.
    B comes back = 2 mins.
    A+B = 2 mins.

= 15 mins.
    Well to be fair - I don't think its right to say "Everyone assumed that A has to come back all the time".

Mich gave you the answer (albeit sneakily) about 10 mins after you posted....

OwlHoot - Bragged about how easy it was (although he was spouting bulltulip)
    ASB - Told him he was wrong (which suggests that He knew the real answer)
    I - (also) Implied OwlHoot was shot down flames (suggesting I knew the answer)

Don't you read any of this stuff!!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    doh of course

i am thick!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    ok

so we need to cross the bridge with all 4 people

now given the question it will take

8 mins for D
    4 mins for C
    2 mins for B
    which is 14 mins
    in between times a has to come back two times

so you get 16 mins (or secs)

unless obviously a is strong enough to carry b, c and d in which case you can do it in 5

go on do tell the answer.....

See Pondlife's answer above.

Everyone assumed that A has to come back all the time...but not so.

A+B = 2 mins.
    A comes back = 1 min.
    C+D = 8 mins.
    B comes back = 2 mins.
    A+B = 2 mins.

= 15 mins.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    ok

so we need to cross the bridge with all 4 people

now given the question it will take

8 mins for D
    4 mins for C
    2 mins for B
    which is 14 mins
    in between times a has to come back two times

so you get 16 mins (or secs)

unless obviously a is strong enough to carry b, c and d in which case you can do it in 5

go on do tell the answer.....

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Has noone done it yet?!!!
    Alex and Billy cross = 2 mins
    Alex returns = 1 min
    Claire and Denise cross = 8 mins
    Billy returns = 2 mins
    Alex and Billy cross = 2 mins

Total = 15 mins.

Obviously this could have been avoided if the women had worn some more suitable shoes or had enough room in their handbags for another torch...

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Has noone done it yet?!!!

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've only been to Sands once, a girl gave me a black eye.
    Didn't you realise you'd pulled. They just get a bit rough with the foreplay.

There used to be "gentlemans" club on Broadway - don't know if it's still there. I ended up in there very pissed with some mates a few years back. The topless pool was very comical. I think sky should televise it.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Not been for a couple of years, but it always used to be good (if you like greek of course). So convenient to nip round the corner to sands for a figt and a stabbing after too. I think sands is rather better these days but when I used to go about 10 years ago it often got pretty scary.
    Dimitri has a Bistro in Uphill too, both restaurants are good.

I've only been to Sands once, a girl gave me a black eye.

My mum rang yesterday to tell me the Greeks have got the Cabot… talk about small town mentality.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    You have to do it in 15 seconds, not 16.
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    You have to do it in 15 seconds, not 16.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X