• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gbp

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gbp"

Collapse

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    should they move their money into something else, such as gold for example?
    Buy Chinese Yuan

On Serious note...Diversification in investment is the way forward.

Reduce the exposure in GBP. Gold and other good old commodities are lot better than speculattive equities,fockd up bonds and valueless paper currency(backed by debt driven economy).

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Since you are in the process of buying a house why not borrow some of the money from the parents and pay them what you would pay in Mortgage payments?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Do they own a property with equity ? If they do then they can consider equity release as my parents have done, although of course it will not help your inheritance.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
    What rate or interest have they been accustomed too?
    You can still get 4.3% on a fixed one year deposit.
    Or 3.12% on a 90 day notice.

Yep, if you look at the longer term accounts interest rates are higher which implies the banks expect interest rates to rise in the medium term. Therfore I wouldn't fix for more than a year, this time next year there are likely to be accounts paying over 5% again

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Lend it to the government - you know it will be safe there.

Leave a comment:

• crack_ho
    replied
    What rate or interest have they been accustomed too?
    You can still get 4.3% on a fixed one year deposit.
    Or 3.12% on a 90 day notice.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    True, but by the time rates are back to the long term average of about 6%, they will have starved to death and owe about £10K in council tax alone.
    I'd never let them starve, but they would be much much thinner.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post

But remember - rates will not stay this low forever. Your parents have seen multiple enonomic cycles and they can probably see that the next cycles are just around the corner: Deflation (coming now) and hyperinflation (high interest rates).
    True, but by the time rates are back to the long term average of about 6%, they will have starved to death and owe about £10K in council tax alone.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I was also going to mention property - though I believe prices will still fall.

An example I have is to buy a 3 bed house for £150k and rent it to the council on a 3 year contract. They pay £800/month. In the area I've been looking at you could actually get a 3 bed house for £130k now, probably needing a bit of work but gives a 7% return on that rental income.

But remember - rates will not stay this low forever. Your parents have seen multiple enonomic cycles and they can probably see that the next cycles are just around the corner: Deflation (coming now) and hyperinflation (high interest rates).

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Good advice there.
    I would also add don't have all your money in GBP - have some in Euros
    Trouble with putting your money directly into other currencies (if you are living off the dividends/interest) is that you are at the mercy of the exchange rates and if you need an income that can be rather worrying month to month.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Some things to look into.

1. Buy a managed fund or bond that pays a monthly dividend, has some risk to the capital, and ties the lump sum up for several years.

e.g.

http://investor.invescoperpetual.co....ncome_fund.pdf

2. Buy UK property and enter the BTL market. With cash you could pickup some bargains at auction and have an agency fully manage the properties for your parents. They then live off the rents.

3. Build your own portfolio of shares and bonds, choosing defensive stocks that pay a high dividend.

4. Lend the money on Zopa. http://uk.zopa.com/ZopaWeb/public/le...g-at-zopa.html

5. A mix of the above.

Whatever you do, it's better than sticking it in a high street bank that pays 0.1% interest.
    Good advice there.
    I would also add don't have all your money in GBP - have some in Euros

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

1. Buy a managed fund or bond that pays a monthly dividend, has some risk to the capital, and ties the lump sum up for several years.

e.g.

2. Buy UK property and enter the BTL market. With cash you could pickup some bargains at auction and have an agency fully manage the properties for your parents. They then live off the rents.

3. Build your own portfolio of shares and bonds, choosing defensive stocks that pay a high dividend.

4. Lend the money on Zopa. http://uk.zopa.com/ZopaWeb/public/le...g-at-zopa.html

5. A mix of the above.

Whatever you do, it's better than sticking it in a high street bank that pays 0.1% interest.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

e.g.

5. A mix of the above.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It took 3 posts to get to that?

No. I started that response as soon as you had posted it.

While previewing it I thought the response was a bit aggressive so I cancelled it.

After a few minutes I thought "what the hell?"

On the plus side, as long as RPI inflation is negative the capital is not being erroded by the low interest rate.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    But Gold pays precisely zero interest. Look for good solid dividend plays in the stock market and hope for the best.
    You make your money if the price of gold goes up I think. Buy at price X, and sell at price Y. Y-X equals profit.

Hang on a mo .....

<searches draw for some crayons>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X