• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How intelligent are you?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Mrs Tester’s 6 ft 1. Last weekend when we went out she wore high heels and was taller than me. That felt really weird.
    there's a sensible solution to that. but here's mine instead.
    next time she wears high heels, slip into a set of circus stilts and as you walk down the road and she looks up at you, exasperated, chide her in a gentle tone, 'what are you looking at ?'

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Has anyone read the book "born on a blue day"?

About a savant who can say what he is doing.

Fascinating read.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Not the sharpest tool are you?
    S'because he's trying to find himself. Once he does we're all in for a shock.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Spot on. less gravity at higher altitudes means the brainions can flow more easily, another pointer to why men are more intelligent than women and why the seven dwarfs were so easily outwitted

Mrs Tester’s 6 ft 1. Last weekend when we went out she wore high heels and was taller than me. That felt really weird.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I worked with a guy at a client in Cambridge, and during the lunch hour we were struggling with a clue in the crossword of his copy of the Times. (Two or three of us could rarely get more than a couple of them, or even a single one.)

Hearing us, he said something like "Oh 3 across, 8 down, that's 'syzygy'" (or some equally obscure word).

Only slightly less puzzled than before, something suddenly occurred to one of the others. "Um, how did you know?!".

"Oh I do that crossword on the train every morning." He breezily replied.

"Don't be daft" said the other guy "None of the clues are filled in, and anyway your journey only takes ten minutes".

"Oh I do it in my head"...

Intelligence like that is really irritating
    My ex bosses dad wrote a book on playing blind fold chess. Apparently he could play several games at a time, without referencing a board and remember where the pieces were.

His son, my ex boss, was a bit like that. He had an obscenely good memory - I don't think he'd ever been sent an email that he couldn't recall (And dig up if needed).

Dunno if that's intelligent, but it was fvcking impressive.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Surely height is a more important factor governing intelligence than hat size? Isn't it a little known fact that tall people are far less unintelligent than less tall people?
    Spot on. less gravity at higher altitudes means the brainions can flow more easily, another pointer to why men are more intelligent than women and why the seven dwarfs were so easily outwitted

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    hmmm knew a guy who was a particle physicist - worked at Daresbury Labs in Cheshire - IQ of something ridiculous like 160+

had no idea how to write a cheque

not really sure whether this is relevant or not
    wouldn't it be strange if Jesus had an IQ of 159 ? where in the bible does it say he was particularly brainy ?

he would have to say 'ok mr particle physics smarty pants, what's next'

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes you do need some intelligence to dig up a Sunday Times article from 3 days ago
    Nah, I'd call that patience or possibly perseverance. But I canny be arsed going to page 2 of the search results ...

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Its big enough that you don't find them in the shops that often... XL is always too small. I can squeeze into an XXL (sometimes found).
    I have the same problem, as a 10 year old playing cricket I had to wear an adult batting helmet, it dwarfed the rest of me!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    hmmm knew a guy who was a particle physicist - worked at Daresbury Labs in Cheshire - IQ of something ridiculous like 160+

I worked with a guy at a client in Cambridge, and during the lunch hour we were struggling with a clue in the crossword of his copy of the Times. (Two or three of us could rarely get more than a couple of them, or even a single one.)

Hearing us, he said something like "Oh 3 across, 8 down, that's 'syzygy'" (or some equally obscure word).

Only slightly less puzzled than before, something suddenly occurred to one of the others. "Um, how did you know?!".

"Oh I do that crossword on the train every morning." He breezily replied.

"Don't be daft" said the other guy "None of the clues are filled in, and anyway your journey only takes ten minutes".

"Oh I do it in my head"...

Intelligence like that is really irritating

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

It seems that many exceptionally gifted people are unable to complete simple tasks like that. I once worked with a fellow who had gained a PhD in Fluid Dynamics and always wore slip on shoes because he couldn’t tie shoelaces. He had tried 9 times to get a driving license but kept failing, even though he had been checked for neurological problems and had the all clear. He couldn’t tie a tie. He even struggled to operate a microwave oven. He was, however, unfathomably intelligent and was capable of solving mathematical problems that nobody else in the building even dared approach. Despite any prejudices about ugly nerds, he looked quite normal and had a bloody corker of a wife.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Surely height is a more important factor governing intelligence than hat size? Isn't it a little known fact that tall people are far less unintelligent than less tall people?
    It sounds like a little known made up on the spot kind of fact but it’ll suit me.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    So each contract will be allocated a hat. If the hat sits on the top of your head, you’ll be turned down for being too brainy. If it falls down and covers your eyes, you’re not clever enough. If the hat fits, you can start invoicing.

Will this policy discriminate against or in favour of people with big ears?

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Duh, is that an M, an L or an XL?
    Its big enough that you don't find them in the shops that often... XL is always too small. I can squeeze into an XXL (sometimes found).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X