• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cycle To Work Scheme - Reclaiming Tax ?"

Collapse

• orac
    replied
    Just get a bike via your company

Just get a bike via your company and write off against tax. If you get one over 2K you can claim the VAT back, even if on the flat rate scheme. You can also include lights, bags etc., as they count as bringing a capital item into use.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by swebb View Post
    Well my accountant confirms that the company can by the bike as long as I use it for work. How the hell anyone would know if its used for work or not I've no idea !
    When you submit a £600 fuel claim?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Not quite on topic, but any of you permies out there beware of the Cycle to Work scheme, as many companies have been using the opportunity to slip in 'other' changes to your work contract.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Buy a top of the range folding bike for emergencies, and keep it in the boot of the car you use for commuting to work. That should be OK, surely.

Leave a comment:

• swebb
    replied
    Well my accountant confirms that the company can by the bike as long as I use it for work. How the hell anyone would know if its used for work or not I've no idea !

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    As far as I know the official cycle to work scheme is aimed at large companies. ie they take out the administration element that the company would have to do.

If like me you're Ltd you can purchase a bike directly with company funds up to a max of £1000 and submit the receipt to your accountant.

Simple's..

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    what do your accountants say?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Yeah, I'm interested in this too.

I splashed out last year on a bottom of the range hybrid. I'm finding that I'm starting to do more and more commuting. If I can get back 31% it might be worth an upgrade....

Cheers...

Leave a comment:

• swebb
    started a topic Cycle To Work Scheme - Reclaiming Tax ?

Cycle To Work Scheme - Reclaiming Tax ?

Hi,

Where I am contracting at the moment a lot of the permie staff are buying bikes and cycling to work, they get around 31% off the price of the bikes via the governments cycle to work scheme.

Is it possible to get a similar discount via your own Ltd company ? As far as I can make out and shop which you purchase a bike from needs a voucher supplied from the employer.

Cheers

Steve

Working...
X