• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tyre sabotage brings race to halt"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I would make pedestrians fair game and inelligable for insurance claims if they were not crossing properly or paying attention or crossing within 150 yards of a designated crossing etc.
    Sold.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Mostly, fair enough - I'd love to see the roads changed the way you suggest, but I can't agree with you about pedestrians.

I've nearly hit pedestrians crossing the road on a couple of occasions where they simply haven't been looking where they are going or listening to my bell (both occasions the lights were green to road traffic).
    I would make pedestrians fair game and inelligable for insurance claims if they were not crossing properly or paying attention or crossing within 150 yards of a designated crossing etc.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I would like to see cycle paths on all roads. Though I would designate some roads as cycle paths and ban traffic or at least put in a very slow speed limit and traffic calming measures.

Pedsetrians dont use roads they use footpaths. Yes I would do the same for horse riders and other road users too.

I would suggest from my experience that it is not a small minority of cyclists. The decent ones are the minority. That is my experience. I may just have been unlucky.

Mostly, fair enough - I'd love to see the roads changed the way you suggest, but I can't agree with you about pedestrians.

I've nearly hit pedestrians crossing the road on a couple of occasions where they simply haven't been looking where they are going or listening to my bell (both occasions the lights were green to road traffic).

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Ok, but I'd suggest that to do that you'd have to put a cycle lane on every road in the country - which is obviously impracticable.

You go on to suggest that I would need a licence (as a cyclist) to use the road where there isn't a cycle path - would you extend this to all other road users (pedestrians, horse riders spring to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are other interest groups) ?

You seem to be tarring all cyclists as inconsiderate of other road users. I contend that that isn't the case - it's just a small minority of ignorant people in all groups which seems to cause the friction.

FWIW, I drive and ride a push bike. I like to think I don't fall in the ignorant subset of either group, but that is obviously subjective.
    I would like to see cycle paths on all roads. Though I would designate some roads as cycle paths and ban traffic or at least put in a very slow speed limit and traffic calming measures.

Pedsetrians dont use roads they use footpaths. Yes I would do the same for horse riders and other road users too.

I would suggest from my experience that it is not a small minority of cyclists. The decent ones are the minority. That is my experience. I may just have been unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Where did I say I wanted to stop cyclists using the road? I want to provide safe circumstances for all.
    Ok, but I'd suggest that to do that you'd have to put a cycle lane on every road in the country - which is obviously impracticable.

You go on to suggest that I would need a licence (as a cyclist) to use the road where there isn't a cycle path - would you extend this to all other road users (pedestrians, horse riders spring to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are other interest groups) ?

Typical cyclist attitude on show ther MM. Seem to think that cyclists have the right to do whatever they please and sod everyone else.
    You seem to be tarring all cyclists as inconsiderate of other road users. I contend that that isn't the case - it's just a small minority of ignorant people in all groups which seems to cause the friction.

FWIW, I drive and ride a push bike. I like to think I don't fall in the ignorant subset of either group, but that is obviously subjective.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Are you going to stop horses using the roads too?

Critical Mass:

Go and have a go if you think you're hard enough
    Where did I say I wanted to stop cyclists using the road? I want to provide safe circumstances for all.

Typical cyclist attitude on show ther MM. Seem to think that cyclists have the right to do whatever they please and sod everyone else.

I live in an area where horses are often on the road and generally there is no issue. Unlike cyclists riders tend to allow for the fact that there are other road users.
    As a biker I would like to see them forced to clean up if the horse tulips though.
    I would ban those pikey trotting buggies though.

edit: If I am around I may pop by.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I think we should have a compromise.
    We should build lots of cycle paths.
    We should allow serious cyclists to use the roads, but they should be subject to the same rules and restrictions as the rest of us. Pass a test, carry insurance and nominal road tax.

I do not think bikes are a safe mix with either road traffic or pedestrians. The not so serious cyclist is under severe threat on the road and the serious are a threat to pedestrians when not.
    Allow accompanied children to cycle on the footpaths.

This tack throwing incident is disgraceful. I do have some sympathy with the residents, but action like this is well beyond reasonable protest. Though if I hear of another critical mass protest I might do similar.
    Are you going to stop horses using the roads too?

Critical Mass:
    The London Mass meets at 6.00pm on the last Friday of every month on the South Bank under Waterloo Bridge, by the National Film Theatre.
    Go and have a go if you think you're hard enough

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    There's no point in building cycle lanes as most 'serious' cyclists see themselves as above using such things.

I have no objection to cyclists so long as they stick to the edge of the road and, most definitely, no riding side by side.

Is it 2001 again?
    I think we should have a compromise.
    We should build lots of cycle paths.
    We should allow serious cyclists to use the roads, but they should be subject to the same rules and restrictions as the rest of us. Pass a test, carry insurance and nominal road tax.

I do not think bikes are a safe mix with either road traffic or pedestrians. The not so serious cyclist is under severe threat on the road and the serious are a threat to pedestrians when not.
    Allow accompanied children to cycle on the footpaths.

This tack throwing incident is disgraceful. I do have some sympathy with the residents, but action like this is well beyond reasonable protest. Though if I hear of another critical mass protest I might do similar.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    There's no point in building cycle lanes as most 'serious' cyclists see themselves as above using such things.

I have no objection to cyclists so long as they stick to the edge of the road and, most definitely, no riding side by side.

Is it 2001 again?
    I don't agree with the premise of your first statement. There are millions of 'not-serious' cyclists in this country. Providing meaningful cycle routes for them is a great idea.

Secondly, you obviously object to the highway code too - seeing as it's perfectly permissible for cyclists to ride two abreast should conditions permit.
    I'll agree it's not a great idea on the A316 (or similar) but there's a cycle path along the side of that road anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied

Is it 2001 again?

excuse me
    Last edited by Alf W; 18 May 2009, 08:47.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    It's about time the cyclists were hit with road tax

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    No tacks on road without bigoted idiots perhaps.

Not sure why I am laughing as its a very true answer.....

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Build more dedicated cycle tracks. Everyone benefits.

Where will the money come from? Err, how about using some the billions taken in fuel duty, road tax (rising to £400 a year for many cars soon) and showroom taxes.
    Would you have the Tour de France run on cycle tracks?

Cycle paths are not really the issue here.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    No smoke without fire and all that perhaps ?
    No tacks on road without bigoted idiots perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Build more dedicated cycle tracks. Everyone benefits.

Where will the money come from? Err, how about using some the billions taken in fuel duty, road tax (rising to £400 a year for many cars soon) and showroom taxes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X