• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "'No thanks' contract of the day"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    II was due to go through King's Cross at that time, but changed route 10 minutes before it kicked off.

Can't say it affected me. I don't believe in luck or fate.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    And the rate was crap! Mind you I then went over and worked in Tel Aviv and was staying in the hotel over the road when Mike's Pub was bombed. Getting too old for all that tulip, i.e.
    • Military coup while in Nigeria in the 60's. Had armed guards stationed round the house and only place you could sleep was in the hallway as there were no windows there
    • Was on the tube train behind the one that got caught in Kings Cross fire. Sat in a tunnel for hours without knowing what was going on
    • Got caught in race riots in London (very scary)
    • Had to live through the Paris student riots in the 60'S
    • Woke up in the middle of the night once in hospital with a priest giving me the last rites!!!
    • And more...
    Must be something in my genes to get caught in dodgy situations
    Awesome! The most exciting thing that's every happened to me was going to London for an interveiw during the second lot of failed bomb attempts. Central London with no people or traffic was scary.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    About 4 years ago, that role in PK was £1kpd*, so guesses as to what it is now?

*Well, actually it was more of a GSM role, but very similar spec
    I'm not sure if I should be guessing £500 or £1500

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Wimp!
    And the rate was crap! Mind you I then went over and worked in Tel Aviv and was staying in the hotel over the road when Mike's Pub was bombed. Getting too old for all that tulip, i.e.
    • Military coup while in Nigeria in the 60's. Had armed guards stationed round the house and only place you could sleep was in the hallway as there were no windows there
    • Was on the tube train behind the one that got caught in Kings Cross fire. Sat in a tunnel for hours without knowing what was going on
    • Got caught in race riots in London (very scary)
    • Had to live through the Paris student riots in the 60'S
    • Woke up in the middle of the night once in hospital with a priest giving me the last rites!!!
    • And more...
    Must be something in my genes to get caught in dodgy situations

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Their argument will be , you have to protect yourself anyway even if you were not working for your company.
    So No
    No need, and thus illegal in the UK apparently since 1937 because apparently we have a very good Police force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...7_Firearms_Act

unless of course you are in the 10,000 well connected in the UK that do have them for personal protection, e.g. every MP and former MP, ex-RUC etc

However Pakistan is a different story - You'd want (or actually NEED) personal protection there. So if you worked in Pakistan it could be deemed a business need.

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Their argument will be , you have to protect yourself anyway even if you were not working for your company.
    So No
    But surely without the contract you wouldn't BE in the country?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    If one was to take one of these roles. would HMRC allow for purchase of a company PPK & ammunition for personal protection whilst in the clients country ?

Apparantly you couldn't have an M16 anyway:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law#Pakistan
    So No

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I was doing S/390 DB2 UDB support for a company as part of their outsourcing arm but hadn't actually done anything in 3 months except for moan about lack of work. Eventually they asked me if it was possible to get TCP/IP working in UDB for a VSE customer as they had an urgent requirement. I promptly replied 'but yes, of course' and began swotting up as I know nothing of VSE. After a couple of days the work package came through. This was for the Pakistan airforce which was based on the borders of Afghanistan just before it all kicked off with the Taliban. My notice was handed in a few days later
    Wimp!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I was doing S/390 DB2 UDB support for a company as part of their outsourcing arm but hadn't actually done anything in 3 months except for moan about lack of work. Eventually they asked me if it was possible to get TCP/IP working in UDB for a VSE customer as they had an urgent requirement. I promptly replied 'but yes, of course' and began swotting up as I know nothing of VSE. After a couple of days the work package came through. This was for the Pakistan airforce which was based on the borders of Afghanistan just before it all kicked off with the Taliban. My notice was handed in a few days later

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    About 4 years ago, that role in PK was £1kpd*, so guesses as to what it is now?

*Well, actually it was more of a GSM role, but very similar spec

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    If one was to take one of these roles. would HMRC allow for purchase of a company M16, PPK & ammunition for personal protection whilst in the clients country ?
    Of course not. You're a contractor who probably votes tory. HM Government would rather you die.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    If one was to take one of these roles. would HMRC allow for purchase of a company PPK & ammunition for personal protection whilst in the clients country ?

Apparantly you couldn't have an M16 anyway:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law#Pakistan
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 12 May 2009, 13:17.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    What does that mean ? SHS ?
    It means

Swat He Said

geddit ?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Did it pay a premium over equivalent UK roles, and how much?
    I’d do it, but I want a big tax free paycheck, a house in a secured residential area and weekly flights to Dubai.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    SHS
    What does that mean ? SHS ?
    Last edited by EternalOptimist; 12 May 2009, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X