• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Philip Green

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Philip Green"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    DA - I totally agree, but what bugs me is that he can create fancy tax avoidence schemes because he is rich enough to do so while the small business community is seen as fair game. How much tax would be due on 1.2 billion? Then compare that to the effect on sombodies life when the IR come knocking looking for retrospective taxes because the IR decided that the goal posts were not in the best tax gathering position.
    That is why people make themselves so rich. They wish to put themselves beyond the control of others. The likes of Philip Green are the ones that create the wealth and the jobs. The less money we hand over to the state the better.

Tony I think you need to get yourself a £100,000 per day contract (less my 20% of course! )

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    DA - I totally agree, but what bugs me is that he can create fancy tax avoidence schemes because he is rich enough to do so while the small business community is seen as fair game. How much tax would be due on 1.2 billion? Then compare that to the effect on sombodies life when the IR come knocking looking for retrospective taxes because the IR decided that the goal posts were not in the best tax gathering position.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Taxation spirit or rule?

Given that the treasury does everything that it can to extract as much money off the taxpayer as possible, that they have created an incredibly complex and expensive system to achieve this, then surely no one is obliged to pay tax unless they have to.

It is all very well saying that Philip Green is not playing according to the spirit of the laws, but quid pro quo, since when did the taxman ever not play hardball.

The fact that Green is so rich that he can get away without paying tax is great. As I said before the money that he keeps from the treasury is better spent by him than by the petty bureaucrats running the state.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    You want to see some of the responses on Shout99 to the same topic.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Don;t have a problem with him earning it, but the tax laws ought to applied evenly, surely?
    Now that is funny....

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    But then you'd be S660a'd... Thisis what gets me confused - the Artic case really revolved around Mrs Arctic's money being availble back to Mr ARctic, which is why they're being done for the tax. Phil Green, who is a UK resident, also benfits directly from the money passed to Mrs Green - so where's the difference in the two situations...?

Don;t have a problem with him earning it, but the tax laws ought to applied evenly, surely?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Does this mean that I can be employed by my wife and she can get the dividend payments in the same way that Mrs Green does? Ok she lives here and would still have to pay her chunk of tax due.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    If you guys want to do this all you have to do is.

1. Buy or rent a place in a tax haven.
    2. Pay for your missus to live there as an expat.
    3. Pay her the big divvies and pray the pool cleaner is ugly.

Simple really.

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    tax

Originally posted by Not So Wise
    Guessing he must have damn good accountants that have found some pretty major loopholes, be interesting to see if any of the resident accountants here can explain how it works, from the loan to the tax's
    Fairly straightforward really. A dividend must be paid from retained profits, so, say the group has made £500m each year for the past 4 years, and not paid a dividend, they could pay a dividend in year 4 of £2bn.

They would have needed to have taken a loan because they woudn't have that £2bn in cash - it would be tied up in buildings, debtors, stock and so on, so the bank lends the £2bn to pay his dividend, secured on the assets of the business.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    OLd Labour were but this lot are quite good for big business - it's the little guys they put the squeeze on.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    wonder how much he pays to the labour party? Not that thats relevant of course...
    Does he?

I can never understand why any successful businessmen would ever want to donate money to them, except for personal gain.

Aren't Labour the complete antithesis to everything business stands for?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    wonder how much he pays to the labour party? Not that thats relevant of course...

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    If you lot think that agencies are "creaming it" then what do you think about Philip Green?
    Good luck to him.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Dumb question, no doubt, but exactly how do you legally pay a dividend four times bigger than your pre-tax profits?
    Don't consider it dumb, whole thing confuse's me, Especially as way i read it the "group" is taking out a loan just to pay this payout, that seems...well nuts to me. Guessing he must have damn good accountants that have found some pretty major loopholes, be interesting to see if any of the resident accountants here can explain how it works, from the loan to the tax's

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Dumb question, no doubt, but exactly how do you legally pay a dividend four times bigger than your pre-tax profits?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X