• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "TroughGate - Is there any good news ?"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    It's bias based on my experience of corrupt and incompetent governments over 50 years, and Labour have always managed to hit far lower standards than the Tories.
    Yeah right - and tulip is different from tulipe

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Surely even someone as biased as you can't believe that for a minute.

It's bias based on my experience of corrupt and incompetent governments over 50 years, and Labour have always managed to hit far lower standards than the Tories.

Leave a comment:

• Central-Scrutiniser
    replied
    This serves as a welcome diversion from the Millions of pounds of public money donated to falied Bankers , it is imperative the pulic's mind is pre-occuped with such trivia to distract from the disturbing reality of life today within the United Kingdom.
    Last edited by Central-Scrutiniser; 13 May 2009, 12:19.

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Good news

Even the squeaky clean Lib Dems are at it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...bolt-hole.html

However, looking at his daughter, I may be forced to take a more forgiving stance to said MP 's expense misdemeanours.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yes, but not as Tories and never to be Tories ever again. The Tories can then start looking for better candidates to stand for the next general election. All Tory expenses will be published immediately as they are claimed whereas no doubt Labour's will not. Clear and CLEAN blue water will be seen by the public.
    Surely even someone as biased as you can't believe that for a minute.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How exactly can he say "if MPs don't pay back expenses that were within the rules, but I think are over the top, they'll be kicked out"? Surely he's setting the party up for a huge mess of legal action the moment he tries to enforce this? In fact even naming specific people is asking to be sued for defamation of character if those involved fancy a fight as DC uses them to score a few media points...

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    It looks like they might be made to pay up now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8046287.stm

Will that plug the black hole in the country's finances for Alistair Darling?

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Another potential vote-winner for DC in the Beeb...

Do you think he'll back his words up with action? If so then fair play, even if he should have shut the stable door years before...
    He can't bring himself to apologise, can he?

"I want to say sorry it has come to this and sorry for the actions of some Tory MPs "

So he's sorry he got caught.

Thieving toerags, the lot of them.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Another potential vote-winner for DC in the Beeb...

Do you think he'll back his words up with action? If so then fair play, even if he should have shut the stable door years before...

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Clear and CLEAN blue water will be seen by the public.
    yellow
    continue to be peed on

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I would like to invent a new reality TV game called 'Expenses Challenge' where an MP and a member of the public have to do something , like a journey, then have to claim expenses. These are then revealed in the court of public opinion.

For the opening episode I would like to see Sir Fred Goodwins expenses for 2008 compared to Harriet Harmans

It may actually show up Harman for the Labour hypocrite that she really is, but I am pretty sure that most voters are now fully aware of how 'whiter than white' the New Liars are.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    They don't even have to show up for a 3 line Whip if they have a pairing agreement in place with a member from the other side. With pairing they only vote if their pair is available to vote the other way so cancelling out the votes.
    I don't think they pair any more on a 3 line because some labour MP's who were paired still voted.....

They have, I believe, never ever allowed pairing on a so called "running" 3 line whip.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I would like to invent a new reality TV game called 'Expenses Challenge' where an MP and a member of the public have to do something , like a journey, then have to claim expenses. These are then revealed in the court of public opinion.

For the opening episode I would like to see Sir Fred Goodwins expenses for 2008 compared to Harriet Harmans

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    They don't even have to show up for a 3 line Whip if they have a pairing agreement in place with a member from the other side. With pairing they only vote if their pair is available to vote the other way so cancelling out the votes.
    It's one of the reasons that our democracy is an utter farce.

The area that I lived in as a child and teenager had a Conservative MP who had held his seat for over two decades and a typical majority of 20k+ votes, he only ever attended the opening of Parliament and was paired with a similar Labour MP.

There's no problem with the pairing system at all. It makes sense and allows MPs to get on with constituency business rather than turning up at Westminster unnecessarily for a vote. If the 'pairs' did turn up they would only cancel eachother out anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    .... and able to continue merrily on thier way claiming for any/every thing just as before without even being badgered to vote occasionally
    It's one of the reasons that our democracy is an utter farce.

The area that I lived in as a child and teenager had a Conservative MP who had held his seat for over two decades and a typical majority of 20k+ votes, he only ever attended the opening of Parliament and was paired with a similar Labour MP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X