• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Annoying Blackberry!"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Didn't someone on here buy one last year? Are they any good?
    I got one last year, I think I started the thread. They work if you are 100 yards from a tower, if you are close then you can pretty much put the thing next to the phone and nothing happens. It would not work in clientCo office as there was a transmitter on the roof. Outwith that then it has about a 3 yard effect range.

I got the thing for the journey as my last gig required about 3 hours on the train each day. I would read the paper or do some work on the laptop, some folk wanted to do 40 minute calls. They just got cut off. I don't mind people using phones on the train, there were a bunch though that wanted to do conference calls each day, same 4 people, laptops out, mobile headphones on. The train should not be used as a meeting room as far as I am concerned.

Pound for pound one of the best investments I have made.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Morning

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Good morning CM

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I have a steering wheel attached to my genitals. It drives me nuts.
    Want me to get your coat for you?

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Buy a mobile jammer.

Didn't someone on here buy one last year? Are they any good?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by AZZIK View Post
    Does anyone else have a load of permies with their Blackberry's vibrating every minute! It's really starting to p1ss me off, and i'm going to have to say something. Any ideas for a "polite" approach?
    My work demands concentration and quiet from time to time, hence why I told the client this morning I'll not be the office this week.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    ... it drove me nuts!
    I have a steering wheel attached to my genitals. It drives me nuts.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Does anyone else have a load of permies with their Blackberry's vibrating every minute! It's really starting to p1ss me off, and i'm going to have to say something. Any ideas for a "polite" approach?
    Regardless of gender, call across: "I think your dildo's going off again"

Did that at a previous gig. After about two weeks of driving them mental with that, it sank in and eventually they all agreed how annoying other people's vibrating mobiles were but all had assumed nobody could hear theirs.

Permies.

Leave a comment:

• GardenGirl
    replied
    I had to put up with this on my last contract, I just made sarcastic comments like, (oh your wife again, my aren't you under the thumb etc etc) It has to be tongue in cheek, so they don't get you fired

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Yeah very subtle
    - sorry
    But I know how annoying it can be when your working. I tend to have my ipod on low, just to block out the background noise, but not loud enough to stop other people getting my attention if they need to. Of course that's not always possible.

At my last clientco everyone had 'humorous' ring tones - it drove me nuts!

I'm not really sure if there is anything you can do about it, but good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Buy a mobile jammer.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    You might ask, politely, for the following:

1. Please switch your BBs off or to silent - especially if we're going to get anything done today

2. If all of them go at once, suggest that they take 30 seconds to read the message then get back to what you're talking about and start counting out loud

3. What Pogle said

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Take the vibrating Blackberry, put it on the floor, crush it under your steel-heeled SS-sturmtrooper boot, then tell the permie "Fixed that for you" with a big smile.

That should encourage the others to manage their Blackberries in a slightly more discreet way.

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Shut the F UCK UP
    Yeah very subtle

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Are you sure that it's the Blackberry's which are vibrating? It could be all in your mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X