• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A competent or honest business analyst..."

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    The proof that you don't even read what people write...

I don't listen to mere techies, no.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    The proof that you don't even read what people write...

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    A prime example of "AtW syndrome", whereby people of modest ability and average IQ get so excited that they can write a computer program that they assume this is the highest level skill it is possible for a human being to have.

Members of this species tend to be lower-powered, lower-paid, unrespected monkeys buffeted by the winds of economic chance.
    support people 8/10
    technical people 7/10
    business analysts 3/10
    project managers 2/10

Perhaps this might have to do because the roles of PM/BA require more skills than the others,

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    No, not really. If I have to count I would say you and a few people I can count with a couple of hand fingers.

However if I have to give a proportion of good to bad people (ok how many good ones out of 10) I would say:

support people 8/10
    technical people 7/10
    business analysts 3/10
    project managers 2/10

Perhaps this might have to do because the roles of PM/BA require more skills than the others, in fact reading this list it might be read this way (the lower you go the easier is to find qualified people). Nonetheless if you are not qualified for that role nobody forced you to take it.
    A prime example of "AtW syndrome", whereby people of modest ability and average IQ get so excited that they can write a computer program that they assume this is the highest level skill it is possible for a human being to have.

Members of this species tend to be lower-powered, lower-paid, unrespected monkeys buffeted by the winds of economic chance.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yeah but in Francko's world everyone is incompetent, except himself.
    We all know deluded people like him, don't we ?
    No, not really. If I have to count I would say you and a few people I can count with a couple of hand fingers.

However if I have to give a proportion of good to bad people (ok how many good ones out of 10) I would say:

support people 8/10
    technical people 7/10
    business analysts 3/10
    project managers 2/10

Perhaps this might have to do because the roles of PM/BA require more skills than the others, in fact reading this list it might be read this way (the lower you go the easier is to find qualified people). Nonetheless if you are not qualified for that role nobody forced you to take it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I've worked with several very good Business Analysts, in fact thinking about it the good have outnumbered the bad by at least 10 to 1.

Yeah but in Francko's world everyone is incompetent, except himself.
    We all know deluded people like him, don't we ?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    ...who just not hides his incompetence under the "big picture" excuse. Will I ever meet one before I retire?
    I've worked with several very good Business Analysts, in fact thinking about it the good have outnumbered the bad by at least 10 to 1.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I worked with a great BA once. He had, and claimed, no relevant business knowledge at the start of the project. But he was a good listener, and had common sense and neat handwriting. Actually that was 2 years ago, and the last project I worked on that came in more than a month before deadline.
    Why do you think that was? Was it the neat hand writing?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I worked with a great BA once. He had, and claimed, no relevant business knowledge at the start of the project. But he was a good listener, and had common sense and neat handwriting. Actually that was 2 years ago, and the last project I worked on that came in more than a month before deadline.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    Francko, what experiences have you had and what were your expectations?

Surely there are some good BA's out there or do you see ALL BA's as incompetent? Ever wondered how the BA's view you?
    Surely there must be. However I have never had the pleasure to meet them. I have never had any negative feedback from any business analyst (apart from a neurotic woman who had a negative opinion about the whole world and herself but I discarded this as an invalid statistical unit ).

Apart from the jokes, ok they are not more or less competent than any other role, let's give that away; however what really distinguishes them it is the ability of being constantly dishonest about their achievements, only one step below agents, really...
    Last edited by Francko; 11 May 2009, 09:35.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    ...who just not hides his incompetence under the "big picture" excuse. Will I ever meet one before I retire?
    Francko, what experiences have you had and what were your expectations?

Surely there are some good BA's out there or do you see ALL BA's as incompetent? Ever wondered how the BA's view you?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    ^^^^ With friends like that....

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You are a cliche, Francko. A moaning techie with no special skills who keeps moaning that everything is someone else's fault. You couldn't cope with London and now CH is just the same, eh? Remember you can't run away from yourself and your incompetence as I warned you when you were leaving.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Is that an "either / or" choice? Would either do?

How about one wearing a badge saying "I am rubbish as is my job". Would that suffice?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied

How about one wearing a badge saying "I am rubbish as my job". Would that suffice?
    at(?)

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied

How about one wearing a badge saying "I am rubbish as my job". Would that suffice?
    Either. Yes that would do...

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X