• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I casted a clout : am I doomed?"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    "and there's a car going along the B3352"

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Nuts In May

A Mike Leigh television play starring Roger Sloman as Keith and Alison Steadman as Candice-Marie. One of my guilty pleasures!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Nuts in May - wasn't that a drama in the 70's with two of the most annoying characters on the planet in it? was it Candice Marie and ken or something - or has my brain turned into jelly tots again?
    You mean this one?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That lovely Catherine Zeta Jones person was in it...
    You're thinking of the Darling Buds of May. And she was certainly budding out all over in that.
    Last edited by DaveB; 11 May 2009, 10:58.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    My brother in lizardhood is right. It's not May the month, it's May the Hawthorn blossom.

Likewise, "Here we go gathering nuts in May" should probably be "Here we go gathering knots of may"
    Nuts in May - wasn't that a drama in the 70's with two of the most annoying characters on the planet in it? was it Candice Marie and ken or something - or has my brain turned into jelly tots again?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Hello me dearioes

My brother in lizardhood is right. It's not May the month, it's May the Hawthorn blossom.

Likewise, "Here we go gathering nuts in May" should probably be "Here we go gathering knots of may"

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If I said it once, I said it a million times

nice beaver

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    True.
    It's changing, ever so slowly, for the better though.

anyway, you aint allowed to say bollocks, being a lady and religious and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    I think cloutie means cloth.
    And, for the benefit of the Southern wankas, in the context of the saying, a 'clout' is a vest.

PS where 'vest' can be a weskit.
    Last edited by BrowneIssue; 11 May 2009, 08:40. Reason: More dialectic explanation required.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Well that explains it, Liverpool is full of bollocks.
    True.
    It's changing, ever so slowly, for the better though.

anyway, you aint allowed to say bollocks, being a lady and religious and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Well that explains it, Liverpool is full of bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Where exactly does/did your granddad wear his scarf?!
    In Liverpool

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I liked my grandads expression,

In May, your scarf dont doff
    lest your fckng balls freeze off

Where exactly does/did your granddad wear his scarf?!
    Last edited by Pogle; 11 May 2009, 08:22. Reason: cos I'm cak

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I casted a clout : unfortunately forgot to check my calendar and realized it is still May.

Am I doomed?
    I did the coast to coast walk about twenty five years ago. After trudging through the lakes from St Bees for a few days, we walked around a corner and saw,dead ahead, a 'Cloutie Tree'.

It was a massive oak festooned with beautiful coloured ribbons and scrap of cloth. Some had messages, one was from a Japanese lad who promised his dad that he would travel to England and put up a ribbon for the ancestors.

I think cloutie means cloth.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I liked my grandads expression,

In May, your scarf dont doff
    lest your fckng balls freeze off

Leave a comment:

Working...
X