• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Business Mashups

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business Mashups"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Don't speak too soon. Compared to the 1980s, I no longer need IT people to set up a spreadsheet, knock up a simple database, or network from my home to the rest of the world.
    ... These things evolve.
    Indeed they do. And if all businesses needed was spreadsheets and simple databases and to be able to network in a simple way, you wouldn't need an IT department. But as things have evolved so have the it processes. Rather than creating spreadsheets we're doing ever more complicated and powerful things.

The IT bit will never go away, so long as people want to connect the spreadsheet to the database, then send the data to HQ to be used to determine next years sales plan...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    There are loads of "process" systems like these - they are the holy grail for businesses.

They think they can get rid of so much IT just by having these things.
    Don't speak too soon. Compared to the 1980s, I no longer need IT people to set up a spreadsheet, knock up a simple database, or network from my home to the rest of the world.

I've never used Business Mashups, but I have used data hubs and workflow/process management systems. These things evolve.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    You are not wrong...... It seems for most of my IT Career "they" have been trying to get rid of IT (or IT'ers)... I hope they aren't just trying to get rid of me!

(thankfully) the more they try to get rid of us the more they c*ck it up and complicate it and the more opportunities they create........

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I think I'll start an internet site called the daily mash...

These "you won't need developers" tools have been around at least since 1990. For anything other than the simplest applications, they either don't work or work badly. There's no way that software can write software effectively.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    There are loads of "process" systems like these - they are the holy grail for businesses.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    the marketing team who came up the amazingly stoopid name probably have the same IQ as one.

Or is that being unfair to root vegetables?
    Yes. Stop being potatoist.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Nothing to do with potatoes then?
    the marketing team who came up the amazingly stoopid name probably have the same IQ as one.

Or is that being unfair to root vegetables?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    Drewster, you bin hangin' wiv dem homies for too long, innit?

Mashup though? Why? I may have to use the term 'Mashup' more in everyday life.

Golfing Mashup
    Drinking Mashup
    Football Mashup
    Board Meeting Mashup
    Dentist Mashup
    Funeral Mashup
    Wedding Mashup
    Sainsbury's 'weekly big shop' Mashup
    Nothing to do with potatoes then?

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    You should have a little bit of sympathy.....

Imagine you were a Serena Consultant/Techie with many years hard work building a reputation within a wide customer base...... and then "they" came along and told you to visit these customers (remember your hard earned rep) and try to sell them a product called "Mashups".......

"Man innit wee av dis kicking tool.... its wewl wicked innit! Its called Mashups man! 'kin kick *rse muvva 'kin tool innit! Yo no need no more techie man batty boyz! yur BA muvvas kin do it awl on dare own! no need for no one neva!"

I kid you not! Hard nosed Salesmen, Experienced Techies all of them standing in front of "us" trying not to laugh....
    Drewster, you bin hangin' wiv dem homies for too long, innit?

Mashup though? Why? I may have to use the term 'Mashup' more in everyday life.

Golfing Mashup
    Drinking Mashup
    Football Mashup
    Board Meeting Mashup
    Dentist Mashup
    Funeral Mashup
    Wedding Mashup
    Sainsbury's 'weekly big shop' Mashup

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    You should have a little bit of sympathy.....

Imagine you were a Serena Consultant/Techie with many years hard work building a reputation within a wide customer base...... and then "they" came along and told you to visit these customers (remember your hard earned rep) and try to sell them a product called "Mashups".......

"Man innit wee av dis kicking tool.... its wewl wicked innit! Its called Mashups man! 'kin kick *rse muvva 'kin tool innit! Yo no need no more techie man batty boyz! yur BA muvvas kin do it awl on dare own! no need for no one neva!"

I kid you not! Hard nosed Salesmen, Experienced Techies all of them standing in front of "us" trying not to laugh....

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Sounds like the sort of thing one would use if one had no effing clue.
    JMTPW.

And can I just mention i HATE the word 'techie'.
    No seriously I do
    IDNHAFCWYAM

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    JMTPW.

No seriously I do
    It’s better than being called an anal yst. What is an ‘yst’ anyway?

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    JMTPW.

No seriously I do
    But you are a Techie aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    JMTPW.

No seriously I do

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    It sounds like the last train to gig extension-central to me..although very unsatisfying and that crap would piss me off too.
    it's not our system, it's one of the clients we are integrating to that uses this cr@p

Leave a comment:

Working...
X