• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help needed from experienced bikers...."

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Plus how much wear & tear does a 10 kg bike do to your precious road versus a car or truck?
    Probably the same amount of wear and tear that a truck suffers when it mows you b@stards down

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Plus how much wear & tear does a 10 kg bike do to your precious road versus a car or truck?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I've every admiration for off-road cyclists, because they are not using the road which the rest of us vehicle drivers pay for. So kudos to them for being fair.
    Seeing as the average cyclist owns more cars than the average car driver, then one could say they've already paid more than you, and using your logic are therefore entitled to more of it...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I've every admiration for off-road cyclists, because they are not using the road which the rest of us vehicle drivers pay for. So kudos to them for being fair.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I buy of my kit from www.wiggle.co.uk these days. The DHB stuff is pretty good value.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Experienced 'Cyclists' you mean.

I got all excited then expecting a lively debate about the merits of a V-twin vs IL4!

Bloody lycra fairies.
    You have no idea of the images that creates in my head

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Experienced 'Cyclists' you mean.

I got all excited then expecting a lively debate about the merits of a V-twin vs IL4!

Bloody lycra fairies.

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    The best protection is not to fall off.
    Wise words. If this is your first time off road, don't let more experienced rider's skills tempt you into letting go of your brakes on a rough rocky downhill..better to go steady / controlled and build your confidence over a number of rides. Over the years I've been lucky enough to never have a serious off but I've come close a couple of times and seen a couple of unfortunate casualty cases, my brother-in-law included when he snapped his bike in half (and most of his body) against a tree that was in the wrong place.

Make sure your bike is up to it - it doesn't have to cost the earth but you will definitely need brakes you can rely on, knobblies and toe clips for your pedals if you don't have clip in shoes.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Looks like this thread'll soon descend into a roadie vs MTB slag fest.

Those shorts won't last more than a couple of rides through the woods.

You're best off not bot bothering and save the money.

The best protection is not to fall off. Try practising driving round in figure 8s setting off on either foot (without kicking off, i.e. just lift your foot, then pedal) in either direction.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    "Don't bother with the comfy/padded shorts if you're just starting out, as the good ones cost at least £100, and the cheap ones will chafe the insides of your thighs to bits and be ripped off the first time you fall."

Errrrrrrr... in a word - rubbish!

These look like a good buy http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11750 but if you search a bit there might be something else that looks like good bang for buck.

That site is also free postage.

You'll need some gloves too, I just got some cannondale ones from there around the 18quid mark and they're smashing.
    I wear light board shorts without liners over the top if I don't plan on falling off. Stronger cotton shorts if an off looks more likely

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    On my last trip i taped bananas to the frame - sounds stupid, looks worse, worked wonders on my ability to keep up with the duracell bunny...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Eat your heart out Paula Radcliffe!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Don't bother with the comfy/padded shorts if you're just starting out, as the good ones cost at least £100, and the cheap ones will chafe the insides of your thighs to bits and be ripped off the first time you fall.

For a first timer I'd suggest going for some tough 3/4 trousers and wear the undies you normally find most comfortable. Take a couple or three spare pairs if it's your first time, for those involuntary bowel movements (and if you don't have any you're not doing it right).
    Ewwwww

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    .. Take a couple or three spare pairs if it's your first time, for those involuntary bowel movements (and if you don't have any you're not doing it right).
    So it's true what they say about professional cyclists not stopping for anything

(No wonder people who cycle to work like to have a shower when they arrive.)

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    What kind of pansie wears protective kit on a push bike? Did you wear it as a kid? No! So you don't need it now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X